Monday, December 08, 2008

Tis the season. Filled with generosity and chocolate, too. Look what arrived in our mailbox this weekend, all the way from Sweden! Stina and I came up with a little one on one Santa swap a few weeks back. I had no idea what delightful things were about to come my way. Lots of goodies in my favorite brown paper tied up with string - and button embellished, an idea I plan to use in the future.For just the briefest of moments, I considered putting the packages (minus the chocolates which the entire family enjoyed) under the tree and waiting until Christmas morning to open them. But it took you longer to read that sentence than it did to change my mind. I am so glad I didn't wait. Just look at this beautiful sampler angel. She's just delicious. I don't know that opening the picture larger would help to see just how tiny and delicate those stitches are. I can't imagine how Stina kept her eyes in just the right place or her poor sore fingers working with stitches so small.
No Christmas angel is this girl. She will be on display all the year round. I want to be able to look at her everyday.
Also she sent this lovely wire heart hanging. The Princess and I have been arguing a little over just where best to display it. You see, she thinks her bedroom would be just right - but I cannot concur. I kept careful eye on her while she acted as my hand model to make sure I got it back. We have agreed that it will be perfect hanging in the window, but a better photo was in front of a plain wall.
Stina tells me it was made by a man that lives near her. I bet he could a lot of business with an online shop. I would love to see more of his works. Thank you so very much Stina for a wonderful package - I think I am the lucky girl in this swap.
There has been a little dab of sewing going on in the cubby. Last week, I pieced the stars from the kit I won in Kathie's drawing. I could quickly become very spoiled with pre-cut kits. Such fun to sit down and start sewing. I think I will quilt it with either clamshells or Baptist fans, two designs I have been wanting to try on for size.
I wonder if Kathie knew there was another quilt inside that kit? I used the pieces left from the snowball corners on the stars to make this. It's a little wonky, but so am I. The hst's are about 5/8" finished.
And just like an info-mercial, if you wait -there's more. I pieced up a back for the little quilt from the leftover squares.
A lot of goodness has come my way via the mailbox in the last week or so. Just like the song says, 'It's the most wonderful time of the year . . . . .'

30 comments:

Wendy said...

You lucky girl...I'm so happy you opened the package right away. The angel is just spectacular. I could see all those tiny stitches. You'll have fun with that heart hanger, it will look nice anywhere in your house.

Judy said...

Wow that is some angel, I had to look hard to see the places for each stitch, they are so tiny!! The hanger is lovely too. Cool beans on all the neat gifts and projects!

Karen said...

Stina's angel is wonderful! All that tiny stitching. I can see that it will look very good in your home.
I made one of those star quilts only not tiny like yours. My little quilting group had that as a mystery quilt pattern maybe three years ago. Mine is still in a top form instead of being finished. Your tiny version is very cute and will be easy to finish.

floribunda said...

I'm not usually a big fan of angels, but Stina's is just beautiful! I love those tiny rabbits... I can see why you would to display it all year.

Joyce said...

You are a lucky girl! It must be Christmas all right.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh how cool! That angel is amazing, and I love that heart hanging! What fun!

Stephanie D. said...

How fun! That angel is not so Christmassy that she can't be out all year--and she'll look great in your home!

And my best friend would be crazy over that heart hanger--I can just see that in her house!

Did you hug the mailman? lol

Kim said...

Stina's gifts are lovely and delicious, huh? Love the angel girl!

Julia said...

Oh my goodness, how wonderful is that angel! The little wire hearts could come and live at my house, if you and the Princess can't agree on where to put them. hehe

I love the little star quilt. Stars are my favorite and these are just a little bit different than the usual star.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Loved seeing your treasures. The chocolate never would have made it until Christmas in my house. I also loved seeing your decorating in the previous post, especially all the fabulous tree skirts. Love all your antiques too. If you and I were antiquing together we'd be fighting over the same stuff.

Paula said...

I love the wonky HSTs!!!! Too cute.

Kim said...

I love your gifties and your quilt from Kathy is so cute :) as is the heart hanger

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

That angel is beautiful! Stina does such nice work :o) Your gifts to her were so nice too!

Beth said...

What wonderful things you received! You are a lucky girl!

Sherry said...

I just love your angel, Stina did an amazing job on her. Love the stars you pieced from your kit & the HSTs...how fun!

Quilterin said...

The angel is wonderful!

You found again the best fabrics for the quilts.I would like I could too......

Marisa said...

I made that little quilt too, and was thinking of baptist fans for the quilt pattern. How cool is that?!

Catherine said...

Your angel from Stina is fabulous -- as is the hanger!! What great mail you've been getting!!

Julze said...

Fun! I love the heart hanging too!

Stina said...

So glad she made it all the way to CA... but I can say...pheew...those tiny stitches almost made me crazy...lol...but I loved making it for you!! And maybe crazy enogh to make one more too..for myself...;o)
I will forward all the lovely comments on the wire work to this cute guy...And no way Libby... I am the lucky one...;o)

Stina said...

Totally forgot...;o)
Love ...love your Kathiquilt...and the small babies made from the kit...I can´t throw away those little cut offs either...:o)

Kathie said...

I Love that angel, adorable
the wire heart hanger my DD"s would have insisted too that it live in their room's!!!
that is awesome.
can't believe you made a little quilt with the cut offs I should have sent you those too :)
LOL
you amaze me with your little quilts.
Kathie

Shasta said...

That angel is so pretty! So is the wire art.
Love all the things you were able to make with that fabric.

Carol said...

OMG that angel is just spectacular!

Diane said...

That angel is an amazing piece of folk art. She'll look great displayed in your home all year long.

Lucy said...

Ohh wow what a lovely gifts. The angel is a thrill. Wow!
Come over and visit me. I'm a lucky woman too :-))

MARCIE said...

Gasp! Be still my heart! That angel is fabulous! Stina is amazing! And the wire hanger with hearts! So cute! Your precious plaid projects are adorable. (Had trouble spitting that out).

Guðrún said...

Everything so beautiful, the quilts you made (the wonky one too) and the angel from Stina.

Chocolate Cat said...

That sampler angel is just beautiful! Stina has spoilt you.

Kathy Wagner said...

These lovely plaid babies are adorable...I must use up my leftover plaid scraps and make a few of these gems!
Thanks for the inspiration!