Sunday, December 21, 2008

You hear it said all the time, 'Christmas is for the children.' It is true there is a magic in the air at this time of year that surrounds little ones and draws them in. Still that doesn't mean it is not there for the grown ups, too. Here is the little girl in me - the one that still wakes up before dawn on Christmas morning just aching to get out to see what's under the tree.
The treats and treasures of the Christmases that have gone before live with me always through that little girl and in a few very special decorations that bring the generations together every year. While I enjoy bringing out all the decorations each year, it is these few that are among the most special.
This little Santa bank is the only Christmas decoration I knew my Grandma to have.
In my lifetime, she never decorated a tree in her home. She was always at our home for Christmas. Still she kept Christmas all the year through. Santa lived on the buffet in her dining room and I would marvel in him and long for Christmas every time I visited.
My mom always looked forward to putting up the little choir boys every year. She always loved Hummel figurines and these have a look reminiscent of those pieces.
Not only are they sweet to look at, but a music box too. They play O Come All Ye Faithful. We would wind them up over and over and over again as we decorated the tree.
My own contribution to the collection is this Santa made from a hurricane lantern.
This was a craft project from my Blue Bird days in elementary school. He is meant to be a candy jar. So cute when he's filled with peppermints. Can it be that I made him nearly 40 years ago? The glass is thin and delicate, so I don't fill him up anymore.
And the newest of the bunch. The Princess' own rendition of Rudolph.
She made these as gifts when she was 6. His face just couldn't be sweeter. He looks like he might be keeping a secret . . . . like just what time Santa is going to come down the chimney.
I am so looking forward to Christmas. That little girl in me just can't wait to open up the gifts beneath the tree. The grown-up in me is looking for a few new memories to take out again and again in the years to come.

12 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

AWESOME! Look at you! That is the sweetest picture! Love all your xmas memories and momento's!

sewprimitive karen said...

What a cute picture of you. I love the Princess' Rudolph! He definitely is thinking hard about something or other.

Julie said...

Oh my gosh, Libby, I have one of those Rudolphs on my tree, too. I have to take some photos of the "vintage" ornaments to share. The "giant styrafoam alien cub scout" and the "glitter encrusted macaroni candy cane" come to mind. My sons double over with laughter when I display them prominently on our tree every year. Such sweet mementos of Christmases past.

Yvonne said...

The memories sure are priceless. :)

May Britt said...

I think we all keep that little girl in us, waiting to see what's under the christmas tree.

Screen Door said...

What would Christmas be without momentos and memories. I had a brother-in-law that went to a department store and bought the artificial tree and ornaments and lights and toted it home as a package deal. He was impressed with himself and all I could think of was --- how sad....to have no memories of Christmas past attached.

Karen said...

Wonderful treasures. Have a Merry Christmas!

Julia said...

I feel exactly the same way about Christmas. Considering the miracle that took place on that first Christmas night, it can't help but have a magical quality about it.
:~)

Diane said...

It's hard to believe that cute little girl with the aluminum Christmas tree would grow up to have a primitive style!

Carole said...

What a cute picture! I love Christmas. It's always been my favourite holidy. I love everything Santa stands for! Have a Merry Christmas Libby! Hugs!

Guðrún said...

Cute little girl on the picture.

Sipiweske Quilts said...

I just stopped for a quick visit and was scrolling through your blog when I noticed your Grandma's Santa - mine could be related somehow! A couple of postings ago I was asking anyone who knew how old my Santa could be if they could let me know. Come have a peek at mine - maybe you have an idea on the ages for these two guys. - Marlene