Monday, January 26, 2009

I can't remember when or even if I've posted twice in one day before. Today I feel as if my earlier post may have taken a few readers down the wrong path. In it I shared a photo of the 9 patch baby blocks laid out on red fabric. That red fabric is the back of a quilt I spread out on my 'design bed' as a place to orient my finished blocks. It was never meant to be an audition of the red fabric.
Now don't get me wrong, I love that red fabric. I love it so much that I just happen to own an entire bolt of it - thanks to Thousands of Bolts. I wish I would have thought of that red fabric when I made Square Dance. But for a baby quilt - a quilt that I hope will be used for cuddling, napping, fort making, tea parties and picnics; a quilt that will be subjected to hundreds of trips to the washing machine and dryer - I'm afraid that red just won't be able to hold up to the task and stay its current, lovely shade of red.
For all of you that favored the red, I promise to find a design to make using it as a background real soon. It's just too good an idea to not use right away.
Perhaps I will find that inspiration in one of these books that landed on my doorstep. I engaged in some online retail therapy last week and here are the results. Two books that feature antique quilts.
And a couple more that don't include quilts at all.I borrowed the Barbara Kingsolver book from the library last summer. It gave me a new way of thinking about our food: where our meals come from and just how they arrive at our table. Now that the book is available in paperback, the time seemed right to add it to our home library so I can refer to it for tips and pointers in keeping our diet more local.
The second book is also available from our local library, but usually there is a wait list. I wanted to be able to have it handy when the time comes for me to harvest the castings from my worm bin.
So much reading and stitching to do. Better leave the computer and get busy.

17 comments:

Quilt Hollow said...

I hadn't had a chance to comment on the previous post but did see the photos and was getting back to you. I was liking the red too...but now got the update post about the red. Either way....it will be a fun fort making, tea partying, wash and dry lovable quilt!

Stephanie D. said...

I bought that Barbara Kingsolver book last summer, too. I haven't finished it yet; I have to digest it a little bit at a time. There's so much to think about, it never would have done for me to borrow it!

KCQuilter said...

Well, I don't think I have commented on the same blog twice in one day either LOL! But I just had to say how much I LOVED Animal, Vegetable, Miracle--it truly changed my life. That book and Fast Food Nation really made me stop and think about our food culture.

Dixie said...

Just loved Animal, Vegetable, Miracle when I read it. But I love all of Barbara Kingsolver's books. We are so lucky to live in California where it is easier to eat locally. I horrified myself recently when I looked at the basket of blueberries I purchased recently and they came from Chile! I grew up in an area where we grew our own beef, pork and chickens and my grandpa was the butcher, but I don't know if I could do that now...

Love your baby quilt and I'll have to check out the "worm" book. I'm really interested in that project.

Darlene said...

I understand why you won't use the red in the baby quilt. I can't wait to see how you use it. I just ordered "Once Upon A Quilt" and am anxious to receive it. Just needed to belong in my library!

The Quilt Buddy said...

Hi Libby!

I think that I love all of the nine patches! I am with you about the red not holding up over the years.

Can't wait for you to tell us more about the books that you bought!

Have a good day

kjquilts said...

I really like how the baby quilt is coming along.

Once Upon A Quilt is a book I have enjoyed reading. Bet you will too!

Sweet P said...

Your books look interesting, especially the food books. I hope your share your reviews of the books.

Patti said...

The baby quilt is marvelous - what a great design idea. Though I must admit - I love the look of the red with the nine patches also. Can't wait to see what you do with the idea in the future.

Holly said...

Pity - the red was really pretty. I like the option with more open spaces between the nine patches. It's a little easier on the eyes.

Candace said...

Well not using the red makes perfect sense for a baby quilt - thanks for steering us straight, Libby!
Great reads - I'll check them out!
Cheers!

Judy said...

I have an entire bolt of burnt orange from there and can't wait to get some october quilt started this summer!

I love the red with those muslins so I'm sure any other quilt will look great in that combo.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Love the current take along project...it is a wonderful design you are working on. Can't wait to see the finish.

Guðrún said...

So now you can take care of your worms!

Lucy said...

I don't own both books Are they good?

Kathy Wagner said...

Love that Barbara Kingsolver book!
How are the wigglers coming along?
I floated the idea here of having an indoor composting project...it was voted down unanimously!

Brenda said...

Just a note to ask that you not walk away from the red so quickly. With the wonder of ALL and Cheer detergents, these once fast to fade colors are light,bright and cheery for many washes. A note with the quilt with washing directions /suggestions is a very welcome addition to any quilted heirloom given to a new Mom.
When my son was young (very young), my sister made a quilt for him. It STILL has bright red borders and bright blue patches, thirteen years later! This quilt has been laundered and loved, many times over. It has been in the stroller, in the suitcase, on the bed and on the couch (when he was sick this was his favorite blanket to use...). When I received it I knew nothing about quilting but in the box was a card with laundering directions. Because she didn't just "tell" me, but took the time to write them out and include them in the box, I followed them. Thirteen years later I am so glad I did. His quilt still looks bright and beautiful, after all these years! Brenda=)