Thursday, January 15, 2009

If you can't beat 'em - join 'em. That has become my motto for the week. We continue to have weather that is more like late spring than the middle of winter. Now it's true that our climate is quite mild compared to most with an average low of 45 f and average high of 64 f for January. The near records we have set this week cause me to wish to be anywhere but underneath the hand quilting project I have been working on.
Instead I began preparing a project that I have been looking into for the last several months - vermicomposting. I have been interested in composting for some time, but we lack a decent and convenient space in the yard to start a compost pile that wouldn't attract vermin or stink out the neighbors. So becoming a worm wrangler became my solution.
I started by leaving a bucket of water out on the picnic table for the sun to de-chlorinate - don't want to bleach my new friends. Next I purchased a couple of plastic containers to use as the bin. I drilled a few holes for drainage, lined the bottom with screen. Next I added newspaper that I shredded and moistened with the water from the bucket. I put in a few scoops of garden dirt and went to pick up my new friends from a local resource.

Here they are getting settled in the new digs. I wanted to give each a name, but Hubby feared I may have some difficulty keeping track of who is who. Instead they are The Residents of Compost Condo - an all inclusive resort community for friends of the garden.
I'm not to feed them for 3 days. I sure hope they don't hold that against me. They shouldn't worry, I'll save up some nice tasty treats for their first meal.
Once the worms were settled, I got those peas planted in the trellis box that Hubby built for me last year.
Can you see that little carrot in the foreground? There are two that were quite late and I just didn't have the heart to dig them up.
Maybe tomorrow will be the day to get a few stitches in that quilt without roasting myself. That's the good thing about quilts - they will wait until the time is right.

21 comments:

Perry said...

great idea about the composting. We have big earthworms in a couple of our front beds and I feed them coffee grounds, lol.

Dixie said...

Ah, Libby, I'm a worm lover too! When I'm puttering around the yard and I see worms, this warm feeling comes over me and I think to myself "all it right with the world". (Same thing when I see bumblebees!)

Several years ago our local paper ran a story about keeping a plastic container under your sink with shredded newspaper containing worms and they could eat your compostings, but my husband put a quick end to that idea (grin)! I've never quite given up on it though!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Libby, the worm wrangler! This is fun to read about, best wishes with your gardening project; it's anything but garden-worthy weather here in the east coast deep freeze. So what will the worms eat?

Ronnie said...

You're so funny, I love your humor.
Good luck with the worms, I'm sure
they will love living at your home.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

My a quilter and worm farmer....you are a woman of many talents. Love the 9 patch.... just wish I'd seen it before I put my old orphans together last week.

Stina said...

Loved this post Libby...
You simply is the best!! :o)

Diane said...

Hey Libby, Quit flaunting your balmy California weather. The actual temperature in Chicago this morning is -23 degrees. I wonder how our Midwestern worms are faring?

Julia said...

So do you put the worms in the garden or the dirt and newspaper that they are living in? We have lots of earthworms here, so going to buy them and keeping a condo for them, seems a little strange to me. ;~)

Judy said...

I've seen a lot of worm composters who keep the big tub right in their kitchens. There are tons of good reads online about how to shift them from one end to another, and start re-doing something...I forgot all the stuff I read once about it.

Stephanie D. said...

There was a blog I used to read that had a huge tutorial on vermicomposting, but I can't remember the name of it. Seemed like an interesting concept. Someday, maybe...

Candace said...

What a great story, Libby! I name all the creatures in our garden - squirrels, birds, well - not worms just yet - LOL! You will love your worms for composting - it's amazing how fast they can turn a pile of garden waste into rich, dark fertilizer for your plants! Plan on having extra yields from everything!
Cheers!

Catherine said...

Oh, my!! Worm condos now? Our building has bins on each floor where stuff for composting can be put and they clean it out 3 times a day. I keep thinking that someone somewhere must have a magnificent garden thanks to it!

julieQ said...

What a fun thing, and so good for the garden. Our soil grows absolutely nothing, and so needs some natural augmentation!

Rabbit Stitchings said...

I sure could use a bunch of your new friends in my garden!!! Lots of work left to be done to my soil ... we are lacking worms!
Guess I should start a condo LOL...

Carin said...

That is really cool with the worms! Good luck.

MARCIE said...

My son has a worm farm in his garage. He is forever dragging people out to see his babies, much to the embarrassment of his wife. He freezes all vegie scraps to feed them and then watches them go. Really quite interesting!

Guðrún said...

I just hope the new residents will stay at home.

Cheryl said...

Wonderful project!! Can't wait to hear about all the adventures of the Residents of the Compost!

Kathy Wagner said...

This is so interesting Libby!
I have a big composter in the backyard but it is full at the moment and doesn't change much over the winter. In the spring it will get going again, but I'm fascinated with having an indoor compost condo! Wonder if my family would approve???!!

Carole said...

We've been composter's for years and love it! I don't find that it smells! It is off to the side of the house, close to the barn. DH always makes a path in the winter - it is on my way to my bird feeder! Amazes me that it keeps going in the dead of winter. We have quite the pile of worms - not sure it's the same type as you! Enjoy!

Simply This and That said...

I'll be curious to see how your worm's do. I've considered doing the same thing. So maybe I can learn through you. ;o) ooxx`jodi