Monday, January 19, 2009

Monday already? The weekend was so fun, I hate to see it end. I skipped out on Road To California this year. There are two vendors there that I normally can't wait to visit. This year I just couldn't really think of a thing I 'needed' that would make it worth the 4 hour round trip, $5 to park and $10 admission cost - so I just stayed home.
The quilt show started on Thursday. By Saturday I was itching to go somewhere. Hubby and I decided to head a few miles down the road to an antique show being held at the fair grounds. It has been a number of years since we've been. There was an entire exhibit hall filled to the gills with big, fancy furniture, highly polished silverware, vintage clothes, paintings, and dainty glass and ceramic pieces. It was fun to poke around and see what was there . . . . and that's where it stayed. Nothing came home with us.
On Sunday we hopped back in the truck and headed north to Pasadena. Yes, that's twice this year we've been to Pasadena! This time for the Doo Dah Parade. This parade is not nearly as famous as its cousin The Tournament of Roses, but its campy, irreverent slant has kept it on my 'someday list' for a long time.
Here is a peek at some of the entries - the parade openers.
The Grand Marshall - Charles Phoenix. We have previously seen one of his slide shows. I love his God Bless Americana coffee table books. And I try to catch him whenever he makes an appearance on The Martha Stewart Show.There were floats.
Animal costumes were prominent.Marching bands. Our favorite was The Bagpipe Heroes.

Numerous 'drill team' entries including a baguette drill team, a men's napping drill team, roller skaters, cabinet drill team and the barbecue and hibachi team.It was an enthusiastic crowd and very happy participants. Doo Dah!
There was not a single stitch taken this weekend, but all the time that Hubby and I got to spend out doing fun stuff more than made up for that. Now it's back to the usual things. I'm sure I'll have something quilty to share soon.

16 comments:

Quilt Memories said...

I love a parade, glad you got to go!! Bobbin

paula, the quilter said...

And today is the Marade in Denver.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Love it, Libby's out and about again... I'm looking forward to something quilty when you have that to share, too!

Guðrún said...

I am sure you have stitched all day today! What a great way to spend the weekend.

kjquilts said...

Now, that looks like a fun parade! I think my favorite is the napping drill team. Somebody's pillow must have sprung a leak!

The Quilt Buddy said...

Hey Libby!

I also skipped Road! I just didn't think that it would be worth it to drag my "little person" all the way over there to fight the crowds of people. Plus I think that the prices are too high over there.

Did you go to the Del Mar Antique show? I went last year and I had a good time browsing around.

Stephanie D. said...

A Men's Napping Drill Team?The idea alone cracks me up! What a fun weekend! lol

Sharon said...

How cool that you got to see the Doo Dah parade! That's always been my fave, just on principle! I'd love to see those drill teams - what a hoot! I never got to see it cuz my DH thought it was too silly when we lived close enough to go. I actually think he'd go now!

Screen Door said...

Looks like fun--- any awesome finds at the antique show?

Quilts And Pieces said...

What fun! I'm off now for a week of fun and sewing!!!!!

McIrish Annie said...

any good finds at the antique show??

I love the compost idea and I do have a HUGE pile in my backyard. But with the worms, what would I with my worm friends once it gets cold?

Wendy said...

Next to quilt shops the antique stores are my favourite place to poke around. Looks like a fun parade.

Catherine said...

That looks like such fun!! Thanks for sharing the parade pictures.

LBP said...

Looks like you had a fun weekend! I love parades too. Except for clowns, I DO NOT like the clowns!

Blessings

Linda

Candace said...

What fun, Libby! It looks a lot like Seattle's Fremont Solstice Parade (some years there is even a bicycle streaker!) - and a sunny day no less!
Did you make any great finds at the antique show?
Cheers!

Patti said...

Looks like a marvelous parade - a grand way to poke a little fun at all the formal processions. I just bet you two laughed a lot!