Saturday, January 03, 2009

There is so much promise in each new year. It's like a fresh slate ready to be filled with the goals or resolutions you set for yourself. One of my favorite things about the new year is that it arrives whether or not I stay up to greet it's coming. I go to sleep on December 31 each year confident in the knowledge that a whole new year will be there waiting for me when I wake in the morning. 2009 did not fail me.
We were up early in the morning of the first. Our New Year tradition is to wake early and watch the Tournament of Roses Parade on television. Hubby cooked a delicious breakfast and even did up all the dishes. Oh, yes - 2009 is shaping up to be one fine year.
After the parade, we got to work taking down the holiday decorations. With three of us tackling the job, it took no time at all. Everything is now neatly tucked back into the rafters of the garage until next Christmas. When I say everything, this time I really mean EVERYTHING. Last time I took everything down, I decided that I wanted to put up quilts that featured red. And I left up one lone Christmas quilt that didn't exactly scream, 'Ho Ho Ho.' Well, the months of 2008 wore on, the quilt was in a high place not easily reached and before we knew it that Christmas quilt had stayed up for more than a year!
I didn't fool around with it this year. I added a sleeve to the Williamsburg Welcome - my interpretation of Marcie's Williamsburg Medallion. It's the quilt you now see when you come through the front door. I think it's going to love its new home.
The Princess has started the year with sewing, too. Armed with her very own sewing machine from Santa, she has set out to make herself a skirt. It is sort of like the blind leading the blind right now. She has no sewing background and all. I know precious little about garment making. She has everything cut out and the skirt assembled. Send out good thoughts as we work to get a zipper in place.
Also the new year has brought our first harvest. The little orange tree has just worked overtime this year.
I think maybe some fresh squeezed juice may be just what is needed for our Sunday breakfast.

21 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

That looks like it will be a fun skirt! And fresh oranges, how lovely. Happy New Year

Yvonne said...

I'm sure the two of you will be able to tackle that skirt and it will be a lovely addition to the Princess's wardrobe. :) Oranges are looking very yummy.

Judy said...

Looks very pretty, and I know there are several tutorials on the web about doing zippers...some I think as videos. Try YouTube if you get stuck.

Love the quilt and cool way to hang with no fuss...have to keep that in mind.

Kathie said...

I agree that quilt is the perfect one to greet your guests into your home! Great twist on marcies wonderful pattern.
oh fresh oranges, lucky you!
zippers are not that hard just baste it in first! good lucky
worth the extra time , then sew it in. Very pretty fabric she is using for her skirt.

Kathie

Carol said...

The quilt looks just wonderful in its new place. Yummy oranges!

The Quilt Buddy said...

Hi Mrs. Libby!

Good luck with the skirt! I have NO experience with making clothes, so I can't offer any advice! I haven't even tried to do a zipper! However I do love the fabric that the Princess has chosen.

I also have an orange tree in the backyard. The oranges are yummy but my apple tree makes the sweetest tasting apples!

Caron said...

Libby, your "Williamsburg Welcome" is so pretty! Nice place to hang it as well. I love the way you did the border. Nice work!

Karen said...

Oh, I do like the quilt you have hung! The pineapple looks like one that is on a quilt I made. Maybe from the same pattern.

Dixie said...

Love your pineapple quilt - aren't they just the best to welcome guests as they walk through the front door! I have two in the works so hopefully they will be finished during 2009. Your daughter picked a cool print for her skirt. I have done a good bit of garment sewing, but still dread installing zippers. Have had the best luck hand basting them in place before permanently sewing them in with the zipper foot. Good luck to you on this.

Finn said...

Sounds like wonderful beginning to an even better new year. All the pieces seem to be in place and you're off to such a good start *VBS*
Kind of like that old saying "God's in his Heaven and alls right with the world". If we could extend that to the WHOLE world and have some lasting peace.
All my best to each and everyone of you, Harper too! Hugs, Finn

Guðrún said...

I am sure you will do fine in putting the zipper in. Amazing to have new oranges from your garden!

Quilt Hollow said...

As always you show the prettiest quilts and that pineapple number is no exception!

My first sewing back in the day was all my own clothing. Mom would go broke just keeping me in fabric for my next pantsuit or dress. Polyester was the big fabric back then!

Lindsey said...

Congrats on that sewing machine...I can't think of a better gift!

Candace said...

Libby, your New Year's Day morning tradition sounds a lot like ours - only I cook the breakfast, but Mr. Squash does wash up! I think the skirt will turn out really cute! With your quilting skills, that's all you need to help your princess along - she'll have so much fun! And I love your Welcome quilt - what a lovely greeting when folks come in the door!
Cheers!

McIrish Annie said...

Please come to my house and take our decorations down!! We are both sick with colds and have no energy to do it. Maybe Santa will send one of his elves to help!

I know you guys can get that skirt together! Those oranges look awesome!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Loved your year in review...I may have to aim for that next year!Looks like a cute pattern for that skirt.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Love your Williamsburg quilt...very pretty.

Good luck with the skirt sewing...Can't offer any advice as I avoid clothes making as much as possible...quilting is much better use for a sewing machine :o)

Screen Door said...

Way cool she's making clothes--- She'll have 'Originals by the Princess!!!'. Make sure you show us the finished art. Our Christmas Decorations are down. I'm looking forward to the new year also....

Carole said...

lovely quilt and pattern from Marcie! It's a beauty alright! Sounds like a nice New Years day! We had a wonderful New Years Eve dinner with my brother. Happy New Year Libby!

Patti said...

Your medallion looks wonderful there!

If you run into problems with garment making, shoot me an email and I'll do the best to help you. Sure wish you lived closer - I'd tell the two of you to come on over!

MARCIE said...

Libby, I wish I could walk through your front door and see that cool quilt hanging there. I always love to see what you have made, but making a quilt with MY pattern is the coolest! Of course your pineapple adaptation is awesome! Oh and would you believe the code letters that blogger wants me to type in is "morph"!