Sunday, January 04, 2009

Usually each weekend Hubby asks if there is anything I would like to do or go see. And my normal response is a list of errands and chores that we should get done before the new week starts. This Saturday I came up with something a lot more fun. The whole family hopped in the car and headed about 2 hours to the north for a chance to view the floats from the Rose Parade in person.
What an amazing thing to see. I believe there were about 46 floats on display. Each decorated completely in flowers and/or vegetable material. The design, artistry and mechanics of getting these huge vehicles ready for a 5 plus mile parade route boggles the mind - not to mention the attention to the tiniest of details.
Here are a few of the more than 200 pictures I took.
This float was sponsored by Vera Bradley and featured several purse designs. We got the biggest kick out of the seeds on that strawberry.
This float was sponsored by and depicts scenes from the state of New Mexico. Can you see the rows and rows of beans on The Roadrunners beak? And the fur on The Coyote - wow!
Everything about this float tickled me. Hubby and I have lots of memories of the drive-in starting in childhood all the way through dating and our early married years. Just look at those snacks.
I have read just about everything I could get my hands on about the life of Helen Keller from the time I discovered the biography section of my elementary school library. Even in rice and onion seed, the picture looked just like a tintype photo of Helen and Teacher.
I got such a kick from the elements on this float. The giant ears of corn, a barrel filled with real, whole apples and another filled with potatoes.
I was surprised that there was not a lot of floral smell in the air. A couple of the displays had fresh shredded coconut that was easy to identify from the aroma. But the lack of smell was more than made up for by the visual treat. I've always wanted to see the parade in person. Seeing the floats in person makes me wish for that even more.

32 comments:

Finn said...

A great post Libby, wish I could have been there too, but this was next best!*VBS*, great pictures with that new camera!! Hugs, Finn

anne bebbington said...

Lovely pictures Libby - reminds me of the Jersey Flower Carnival in the Channel Islands in the summer

Anne said...

Oh...lucky you. What a wonderful visual treat. Thanks for the pictures. DGD loved the Elmo/Abby float!

Diane said...

Another memorable outing. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Karen said...

What a fun thing to do. I never thought about the floats still being on display after New Year's Day.

Idaho Quilter said...

Thanks for taking us along, great shots.

Kathie said...

oh great pictures...I am shocked that the aroma of flowers isn't everywhere.
I always wanted to see this parade in person too.
lucky you.

Kathie

Chookyblue...... said...

wow these floats are amazing.........so well done.......thanks for sharing......

Beth said...

Wow, you have more patience than I do to get into that traffic. I had to drive over to Pasadena for something else on Saturday and a drive that usually takes me about 15 minutes from my house took about 45! They are pretty floats though aren't they? I went every year and slept over for the parade when I was in high school, the last time I went in person I think my daughter was about 10.

The Quilt Buddy said...

I am jealous! I have always wanted to go to the Rose Parade and I live so close, so I don't know why I haven't gone. I would have gone this year but my little guy probably wouldn't sit still long enough for me to enjoy it!

Thanks for sharing!

Chocolate Cat said...

WOW!

Quilt Hollow said...

How cool is that to still be able to see the floats AFTER the big parade! Was there admission and a special area they were kept? Fun pics...thanks for that!

True Blue Nana said...

Wow what a treat to see those floats up close.

Guðrún said...

This is amazing.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

What a treat!! Thank YOU!! What were the seeds on the strawberry? Wonderful photo collages, Libby; well done!

Wendy said...

Good way to spend the weekend, the floats are amazing. The attention to detail is really incredible. Thanks for sharing your family outing.

Connie W said...

You did a great show and tell of these floats, and they are very amazing. Very enjoyable.

Catherine said...

My mother always loved to watch that parade on television. What a treat to see these pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Di's Quilting and Craft Blog said...

These floats are amazing...Can only imagine the amount of work that goes into them! Thanks for sharing your photos.

ranette said...

Great pictures! Thanks for the treat, I enjoyed looking at the floats.

Stephanie D. said...

What a terrific outing! Even with looking at them through your camera, it's hard to believe they're made of flowers and vegetable material. Incredible detail!

How many floats were still there, do you think?

Karen said...

Such great floats.

Candace said...

One year when I was in my late 20's (a long time ago) a bunch of us took a camper and camped in a parking lot all night so we could watch the Rose Parade from a good vantage point. Not only did we have too much champagne the night before, it turns out we were parked in the "red light" district. So the next morning, we not only got to watch the parade up close and personal, but there was another "parade" going on right behind us! What a funny time that was! Sounds like your day was really great, Libby! So glad you got to go!
Cheers!

Katie said...

What great pics. I watched the parade on TV and recognize some of the floats. I think seeing them up close and personal would be even better than in the parade. Thanks for taking me along.

Kim said...

that's such great fun! Kinda like us taking the kids to the Macy's parade or to Central Park the night before when they blow up the balloons :)
Thanks for sharing

yellowfarmhouse said...

WOW your pictures are absolutely amazing. I LOVE the roadrunner float - brings back memories of that cartoon with my boys. To think they are all made from flowers and such - thanks for taking us along on your great day.

Hugs - Karen

McIrish Annie said...

WOWWW! I am so jealous! We have the parade on TIVo and watch it every year. Bob and I have always talked about going to the parade. How cool to see the floats up close!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Wow...another thing you have done to put on my to do list. Love the pics!

AnnieO said...

Coincidentally, I had just read a column in the L.A. Times by Sandy Banks, who had also just gone to see the floats for the first time in her life! I don't habitually watch the parade and have never gone to it, but it was interesting seeing it through your eyes. Thanks for the pics!

Lorraine said...

wow....great pics Libby....to be up close and personal with those floats would have been awesome! well worth the drive I am thinking! What a lot of work has gone in to creating them not to mention just coming up with the ideas!! Thanks for sharing!

Linda_J said...

You saw the parade itself or the floats all lined up? It must have been a wonderful opportunity for you either way! The floats are always so gorgeous on TV but that cannot compare to being right up close and personal. What fun!

I was surprised to see that the Homewood, AL marching band was in the Rose Parade---not all that far from here but I had not heard the news reports saying that they were going.

Perry said...

These pictures are just wonderful, Libby. I missed the parade this year and your pictures helped me capture some of the beauty of it. I am amazed at what these floats look like up chose. Thank you so much for sharing them!