Monday, January 26, 2009

The weekend arrived and brought with it lots of time in the cubby. I joked with a couple of folks last week that I might start calling the new year 2009-Patch. This may not be so much of a joke anymore. After I finished up the center applique, I got to work in earnest piecing the 9 patches for the quilt top. When they were done, I laid them out so I could admire my progress and hard work. Next I asked Hubby to come take a look and listen while I made some design changes out loud.
The original idea was to use the Square Dance pattern in reverse - applique in place of piecing and piecing in place of the applique. Since there would be half the area for applique in the borders, my plan was to use two spaces for the baby's name and birth year (top and bottom) and place flowers on the sides. Still that seemed to leave a lot of empty spaces in the corners of the quilt.
What if I made those corners all 9-patches? Wouldn't that be more colorful for the baby to look at? Why not applique flowers in all the borders? There is some open space in the center that could be nicely filled with the baby's monogram and year of birth. Wouldn't you know that's just how the book suggests the project be finished. Funny how things leak into my brain even when I'm not paying attention.
The plan has evolved some from my original thinking, but I like where it's going. The remaining applique is prepped. I'll take a block with me this afternoon to stitch on while I wait for Hubby's car to be serviced. I love a portable project.

20 comments:

Judy said...

You know I thought that red was what you picked and I LOVE it! I like how it gives the eye a place to rest, and the color added, even covered by applique. You could always do something similar and swap out the reversed corners for the 5 9-patches and 4 spaces(the original version)...which would link up the squares more, and form a whole block of patches around the center. Lots of good choices to make.

Amanda said...

It's beautiful. I love your idea of 2009-patch!

It's funny how things leak into our brains without us knowing about it! lol

Carole said...

Or.... you machine quilted some designs like animals etc.... Just a suggestion. You might even want to use glow in the dark thread! Lovely projects Libby!

Five Healthy Hearts said...

Oh Libby, I so envy your creativity. Either one is just lovely, but I'm leaning toward the red. I can see it in a quilt museum some day. Good for you.

anne bebbington said...

Just love that pull along horse - great for a childs quilt

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh I love where this is going! Think I need you here to help with my new quilt, it is going slow simply because the ideas are not flowing!!

Wendy said...

I love them both but I'm leaning towards the red, it seems to be more interesting to me. You are so creative.

You've got a great start to a new year, I like the 2009-Patch.

Catherine said...

I love the look of this!! I'm more partial to the cream but the red is striking. No matter which you choose, it's going to be fantastic!

Candace said...

Great progress, Libby! Is hubby going to get a little mention for his input on your label - wink, wink? I really like the red and your applique ideas!
Cheers!

Stina said...

How on earth have you managed to do this much!!! :o)
I must have been like a zombie for days...lol..
I love it and clever ideas!! :o)

dee said...

I like it both ways but the all nine patch corners are the best. I do like the red a lot though...sigh..can't make up my mind and whatever you do it's bound to be sweet with a Libby Twist.

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Very nice! I really like the red :O) ...What a great quilt

KCQuilter said...

I love the red! This is such a darling quilt.

Screen Door said...

Lucky Baby!!!! Mom's going to keep this one tucked away for sure....

Stephanie D. said...

I love how you've appliqued the horse! How big is the quilt going to be, Libby? You might have mentioned, but I don't remember and I can't figure the scale right now.

Fiona said...

What a gorgeous quilt - it looks vintage even before it's finished (even though it's a 2009 patch).

Darlene said...

I love the RED - it's perfect!

Delightful quilt, Libby!

Karen said...

Oh how cute the baby quilt is turning out. I just read your next post where there seemed to be confusion about the red fabric. The red would have set it off nicely, but I agree that it may have created a problem for a baby quilt that will be washed often. Reds tend to migrate into other colors although your red may not. The quilt is going to make a wonderful baby quilt.

Guðrún said...

Lovely, lovely.

Lucy said...

Its beautiful I love the applique center! Did you age the muslin yourself??