Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I have developed a love/hate relationship with technology. It is wonderful having instant access to the internet. In the time it takes for a couple of keystrokes to be logged I can check in on blogs around the world, find out the latest news and weather, shop from the comfort of my home (in my pajamas,) find information on just about any interest that might take my fancy, and keep up-to-date with those near and dear via email. Then this . . . came into my life. Hubby and I decided that the time had come to change our cell phone carrier. A change in carrier means a change of equipment. How can something so small cause so many headaches? Thank goodness they were able to transfer all of my contact information. But learning how to use the camera, take and send pictures, and customize ring tones has been quite the ordeal. Yesterday I was ready to cry, 'U-N-C-L-E!' and return the doggone thing.
This morning I took up the battle anew and I have emerged victorious. Now I see Hubby's smiling face when he calls. I can listen to the music of my choice, apply that music as a custom ring tone, even take and send pictures. I think we might become friends.
After so much geek stuff, I needed to put it all away and get some fresh air. The rains have left us with a crisp clear day. The Old Farmer's Almanac 2009 tells me that the moon phase is right for planting lettuce.
Into the planter box went seed for one row each of red leaf and romaine lettuce. I'll plant more in the next couple of weeks to keep a nice rotation for harvesting when the time comes. I also planted bunching onions. They will make a tasty addition to summer salads.
Before I could put in the seed, I needed to make a quick harvest.
These carrots were stragglers from last year. You want to know what really sends me over the moon about them? I'm going to put the tops into the worm bin. My worms will be making compost from food grown in their very own backyard. It might sound silly, but it just tickles me no end.
Look who else got out into the yard today. I think she might be trying to hide from me. I told her not to lay in the mud.
I'm not sure she's exactly following that admonition, but she sure is happy to be out of the house. Even though it's wet and a little muddy, I just couldn't make her stay in one more day. There is only one little cloud in the sky. Hey - is that snow? Yes, it is. I can see snow from my backyard!
It takes a lot of zoom lens to see that snow. But it can be seen.
It's still chilly enough for me to be wearing socks. This might not be winter for everyone - but it's the only winter I get.

24 comments:

Milah said...

I know your frustration with the cell phone. I'm trying some new farm accounting programs and I'm ready to cry UNCLE too! I'm just getting too old to learn new things;(

Cathi said...

I heard rumors there was snow in them thar hills. DB (well, he's not always that Dear) lives in Placentia. I've been trying for years to get him to move back east but he won't have any of it. Must be something special in Southern Cal-i-for-ni-a!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I want your kind of winter!

Julie in the Barn said...

The sun came out today here, too. The snow is close enough to touch from the front porch at my house. I'll be happy to have a reprieve soon as we head south.

Your little carrots are soooo cute. My worms in the compost barrel are probably frozen solid by now. The compost scraps we put out are food for the racoons and deer this time of year. But the bulbs are peeking through the snow! Spring is just around the corner.

Quilt Hollow said...

My boy text me...I call them back. LOL They also leave me tasteless wall paper photos on my phone for me to be "surprised." Lovely!

I'm anxiously waiting to shed a few of these layers and enjoy some warmer weather. I can't imagine planting a garden just yet!

KCQuilter said...

Oh, sure, rub it in!!! You can garden, I get it. I am so anxious for Spring I can hardly stand it. Hubster is ordering heirloom tomato seeds and I can already taste those delicious juicy things (in my imagination anyway!!!) Enjoy your "winter" while I bemoan mine LOL!

paula, the quilter said...

We have a bit of a bare spot in the yard so I have been thinking of going to the garden center to get some grass seed. It is a good time to get it applied: before the heavy wet spring snows. Harper looks so cute peaking out from between the lavender and candytuft. I am contractless right now and need to figure out if I want/need to change carriers or not.

BUMBLE BEANS said...

wow! planting a garden in feb. I'm so jealous. I sit her drooling over my seed catalogs, waiting for MAY(or even june) to get around here to plant...

Catherine said...

I agree with Chris -- I want your kind of winter too!!
We're thinking of changing cell phone carriers and the change of phones that necessitates is one of the things holding us back. But reading your experience is making me think we can do it!
Harper looks much happier. :-)

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

You are way more savvy...than I ..... I have never been confused with being a tech geek....ever. Loved the pics of the worm....salad stuff. Those snow photos... very cool also. I prefer seeing it from a distance...and only occasionally actually touching it!

Julia said...

Yummo! Fresh carrots from the garden. Almost makes me want spring and planting season to begin around here. Not quite though, I am still really enjoying the snow.

Harper is so adorable. Reminds me so much of our beloved Cassie. She hasn't been with us now for 8 years, oh how I still miss that dog. *sigh*

Quilts And Pieces said...

Thats ok, I still haven't figured out how to get music on my phone! Or make a ring tone from it! Oh Harper - laying in the mud for mom! Good girl!!!!

sewprimitive karen said...

Computers are so easy and cell phones seem so difficult, but you conquered yours! Beautiful scenery from your home. And those carrots are gorgeous! Eat those tops, you worms!

Screen Door said...

I just love Harper's photo----Keep planting that garden for me...

Kathie said...

as I was driving around vermont, Mass. and NY State the past few days I enjoyed the snow covered mountains up close and personal!!!!
Love that the snow is up there!!!!
yes there was still snow around on the ground but not on the streets or highways!
I am considering getting a new cell phone, starting to have issues with mine and oh how I don't want to learn how to use another one!
Kathie

Joyce said...

New technology can be frustrating and they make things so complicated nowadays. We just bought a GPS but we got a very simple one so I haven't knocked my head against a wall yet. I wish we needed a zoom to see our snow!

Sweet P said...

Technology can be fun and frustrating. I've decided to use my phone for calls and texting only. I can't hold any more info in my little head.

Your worms will be happy. How long does it take for lettuce to grow?

I would like your winter for about one week. Then I would have to come back to NH for snow and cold.

Connie W said...

Libby, I love electronic gadgets and things but how I hate that learning/breaking-in period, arggh.
I just don't like reading the directions and figuring them out. I bought a new camera and it set on the table for a few days until I was willing to read the book so I could get the set-up done. I share your pain ;D
I think living where you do would have so many exciting advantages, the warmer climate, and reading about your trips to Disney without the lengthy travel we have would be the first two that come to my mind. But I love fall and winter so much and I love my family who live in this area so here I will stay. Besides, my dream place to live, if I were to just pick something, would be down in my favorite place, the Smoky Mountains. I heart them so much.

Judy said...

Since I have Alltell and they supposed ly got bought by Verison and I hate them. I think T-mobile will get our business soon enough too. I usually only take goofy "look what I saw today" pictures with my phone but it's pretty easy. Glad you figured it out. Hubby changed his ring tone to trumpeting elephants last week...imagine hearing that at night when the phone goes off!

Quilt Memories said...

We are in San Luis Obispo today and the snow is on the mountains, but fortunately not here in town. Actually it is a beautiful day, I think the TV said it would get to about 70 degrees after while. I sure do like that. But I do think the rain is supposed to come back in areas that we will be in, in the next day or so.
Loved tha pic of Harper, he is so cute.

Candace said...

Well congratulations Libby on sticking to it and learning the new thing-a-ma-jigger - LOL! I love gadgets, but cell phones are not my forte - but they will have to be soon as we finally cut the cord to our landline soon - arhhh!
I also see that you like garden art as do I...cute ornaments - and I look forward to seeing your new crop of lettuce in a few weeks!
Cheers!

dee said...

Harper looks so happy. What a darling face.
I'm living vicariously through your gardening updates.

Guðrún said...

Exactly "don´t lay down in the mud" :) Are the pictures taken from your house, it is a great view.

Stephanie D. said...

I'm about ready to cave and do the Jitterbug phone, myself! The last time I bought a new phone, I told them I just wanted one that would maybe take pictures now and then for those on-the-go impulse photos, and that was all. They're getting too small for me--I can never seem to get them in the right place to hear well, and then I end up talking too loudly because I think the other person can't hear me.

As for computers, though, LOVE THEM! LOVE CAMERAS! LOVE DVD PLAYERS! I think it's just that I hate talking on the phone anyway.

As for the worms and the carrots--the ultimate recycling huh? lol