Friday, February 06, 2009

Now that's more like it! We have had a nice rain storm come our way. Weathermen had been predicting the arrival all week long. Still at 2 p.m. yesterday, you could have fooled me. The sky was blue, the sun was bright and it felt like a late spring day. 30 minutes later, the sky was dark, the drops were falling and it was time to cozy up inside the house. It rained most of the night and we're told it could continue all the way until Monday. What good news for our neck of the woods.
I got out into the yard this morning to look around and see if everything was happy with the fresh drink of water. My little pail of mint is looking very refreshed.
I found this little, lone nasturtium poking out in a spot nowhere near where they were planted last year. Still it looks happy in its new home.The quilt on the gate looks fresh and clean, too. It will get a fresh coat of tea dye once the rainy season has ended.Yesterday I finished sewing the braid strips together . . . . for the second time. When, oh when will I learn to read ALL of the directions?This top has now been stitched up twice. The first time, I failed to read the instruction to trim the top edge. Good thing I did get the part about not trimming the sides in order to avoid the bias. I would have had one huge, terrible mess on my hands if I had needed to unsew the strips with all of the bias edges.
Next I need to raid the fabric cabinet for border fabrics. But that will have to wait just a bit. I want to get the baby quilt layered, quilted and bound this weekend. I think we are going to have the perfect weather for it.

28 comments:

KCQuilter said...

Glad to hear you are getting some much-needed rain out your way. We are behind on moisture too here in KC. Love your "braidy" quilt.

Diane said...

Boy, that braid pattern makes a handsome quilt!

Screen Door said...

Beautiful greens after seeing so much white especially. What do you use the mint with? Inquiring minds wonder??? Iced tea?

The Quilt Buddy said...

Good morning Libby!

I am so glad that we got some rain! Looks like you will be able to make that pot of soup this weekend after all.

Your braids were definately worth all of your hard work because they are beautiful. Is this quilt for you?

Quilt Hollow said...

I just love a good tea dye! Great braids...last time I did that was for a Christmas tree stocking using plaid homespuns. Can't recall if I've ever posted a photo.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh that mint looks soo wonderful! And I love your braid quilt! It is looking good!

Stina said...

Love your new braids... :o)
And Im soo amazed that there actually are places where something is green for the moment...not white... :o)

Candace said...

I'm so glad you're getting that welcome rain, Libby - we're getting just the edge of your storm, then maybe a little more white stuff! Harper is a darling model - those braids are really striking!
Cheers!

Gayle said...

Scrap quilts have always been my favorite, and I just love yours!

Susie said...

Hi Libby,
Glad you're getting some rain at long last. We are too, but it's very light and gentle. We'll take what we can get!
xo

Caron said...

Oh m gosh, I LOVE the quilt on your gate!!! Did you design the applique? It's so charming!

Catherine said...

That braid pattern looks fabulous! What a great quilt that will turn into. Seeing something growing in a garden at this time of year -- well, rather mind-boggling!!

Debby said...

The braid pattern looks great and i also think when i'm sewing: i know how it go's. But then i read the directions and find out that i didnt know how it go's......

Greetings from the Netherlands

Carol said...

Your braid quilt is wonderful! They are a little tricky.

Yvonne said...

What a lovely shade of green. :) Your gate quilt is wonderful and I'm loving the braids.

Julia said...

Oh my goodness, I love that braid quilt! What are you going to do for the borders? Some applique would be very fun!

I love rain! I was wondering about the mint too, what do you do with it?

kjquilts said...

Libby, I am living out my inner gardner through you! I absolutely love going outside after a good rain!

Does the mint smell good? What do you use it in...do you cook with it? or...

yellowfarmhouse said...

Love that braid quilt top and Harper looks very comfy sitting on top. I love the sound of rain - something very soothing about it. Hope your enjoying a cozy weekend :)

Hugs- Karen

Judy said...

Good job!!, those braid quilts can be tricky to assemble correctly.

Lucy said...

Love how your braid quilt is grwing Libby!

dee said...

It's so refreshing to see something beautiful growing in a garden right now. February, in my yard, is all gray and brown and dirty snow colored....blah.
I really admire the braid piece but the one on the garden gate is really beautiful.

Sherry said...

I love that quilt on your garden gate & your braid quilt. Both are wonderful.

MARCIE said...

It is killing me that you leave that beautiful quilt outside all the time. Your baby quilt with horse turned out so darling! Great idea! And your braids...Oh Libby, I want to be you for just a few days!

Guðrún said...

I always read just a few words of the instructions instead of reading them word to word and do things right.

Kathy Wagner said...

I sure do miss seeing green! Enjoyed seeing your mint plant!
We'll see green here in about 3 more months.
The braid quilt looks great!

Jane said...

Those braids are wonderful.
Have had mint in a pot and it just does not do well. Maybe in too much shade. My poor nasturtiums were burnt in the awful heat of last week.
Melbourne is not nice.

Leigh said...

I loooove that pattern, was it very complicated to make? I'm just a beginner at this point.

Stephanie D. said...

Loving that French Braid! I hope you didn't get inundated with mudslides from all the rain!