Sunday, March 08, 2009

As if time were not passing by quickly enough, I lost a whole hour today. Normally I try not to let those kinds of things get in the way. But this time, Daylight Savings Time completely slipped my mind. I thought I was getting a jump start on the day by slipping quietly out of bed a few minutes past 5 only to discover half an hour later that it would soon be 7:00.
Can't let time get in the way - there is a weekend to be enjoyed. No big events, just dabbling here and there. Yesterday Hubby and I made a return trip to the Farmer's Market. We came home with two good sized bags of goodies, including lettuce. I remember when The Princess thought that red leaf lettuce was the fanciest salad maker in the world.
In the early days, our grocery budget wouldn't allow for anything more than a head or two of Iceberg lettuce. When we would visit my mom, The Princess thought Grandma's salad with red leaf lettuce and ranch dressing served from a dainty ceramic pitcher was the key to becoming a true gourmet. It made me smile to think about The Princess and 'Grandma Lettuce' while I was whirling away at the salad spinner.
Our Meyer lemon tree has given us an abundance of fruit this year. I picked a bucket full of lemons this morning.
I don't know of enough uses for that many lemons all at one time. Instead I freeze the juice to use in cooking. Slice the fruit in half, squeeze the juice, remove the seeds, and pour into an ice cube tray. When the juice is frozen, pop out the cubes and store in a zip top freezer bag. It's so easy to pull out a cube or two of juice whenever the need arises.
I pressed that bucket into service again later in the morning. Here is the first bit of compost from the worm bin.
It is certainly not enough to cover the entire garden, but not bad after only six weeks with one small bin.
On the quilting front, I finished top of Old St. Nick.It has grown to be a pretty big quilt. I would love to big stitch quilt it with perle cotton. We'll see. I've got a lot of hand work on my plate already.
One will get checked off the list tonight. The spring/Easter quilt is ready for me to applique. I stitched down the binding while we watched a movie last evening. Added it to a load of laundry and pulled it from the dryer this morning. I'll get that bunny stitched on tonight while we watch The Amazing Race.
Just looking at it makes me want some jelly beans.

26 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Wow, what a post. What could be better than a (lettuce) memory of your child, those heavenly lemons, gorgeous compost, and even some quilting :-).

QUILTILNLG IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Wow!!! I wished we had Farmer's Mkt here year round--we do have a nice one in a park about 3 blocks away in the summer and fall.
Can't wait to see that bunny appear on your quilt. I just got a digital camera so now i can share some of my quilt pictures on my blog site: quiltingisblissful.blogspot.com stop by and say "Hi" See ya Di

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Pass the jelly beans... I agree. Your St. Nick quilt is great, I think that Perle cotton is a great idea for quilting it. Congrats on your worms.

Quilt Hollow said...

You have plenty of time for St. Nick. LOL It is adorable....but better yet I'm eyeing the crinkle fresh from dryer and now the bunny!! Too good....you always delight me! Yes, Amazing Race...in just minutes for me

Milah said...

I love the santa quilt and the Easter quilt. Of course I love all your quilts.

I'm coveting your lemon tree. I would love to have fresh lemons in my backyard. I have apples and pears but no lemons.

Cathi said...

Boy, a couple of those lemon ice cubes would taste good in a glass of water right now. How fortunate you are! But I will have a bucket of fresh blueberries this summer to put in a pie or on top of a bowl of cereal!

Joyce said...

I can't wait until we have fresh lettuce from our garden again. It will be several month yet though. Love the last quilt. Great colors.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love the santa quilt! And I"m loving the easter one. Now I think I want to make one!

Dixie said...

How wonderful to glean a whole bucketfull of lemons from your tree and freezing them in a ice cube tray is such a good idea. How is the quality of the frozen lemon juice? We have one lone lemon on our tree - the result of 4-5 years of growth. I need to make a "first lemon cake" with it and take a picture - ha, ha. LOVE your santa quilt. Its wonderful! And so excited to see the first worm progress for your garden. I've got to check out those books you told me about, Libby! I just hate the time change - I vote for leaving the time alone - I don't care which way it goes - savings or standard, but don't change it! (done ranting now but this is a California ballot measure I could get behind! ;)

Susie said...

Love your idea for the cubes of lemon juice. We have the meyer lemons too.
Now all I have to do is find an ice cube tray :-)

quiltycat said...

Love your St.Nick,wonderful and the spring quilt too.
nichi

Kathie said...

wish I had a lemon tree in my yard
I love putting lemons in my diet coke or even just water with lemon slices..they were 99 cents each at the grocery store today.
YOur ST NIck quilt is just amazing
I LOVE it, so mad at myself now for not buying that kit too
yes it needs the utility stitch on it :)
you have many months before it needs to be done I am routing for you to find the time to quilt it this way you can do it!!!!
Love the easter quilt, pretty fabrics/colors. very springy!
can't watit to see the bunny.
Kathie

Sandra said...

WOW I'd love to have my own lemon tree, in stead I buy them! I put the "skin" of the lemon in the freezer too, sliced up in little pieces. Great to use in desserts & cakes too. :0)

Stina said...

Hmmm... so your daylightsavings have started...ours isn´t yet... it´s in the end of March...:O) I love it...I need the light...:o)
And you finished the tops!!! Oh...Libby they are both gorgeous... Im longing to see your little Bunny...:o)

Catherine said...

The fresh produce for salad and the lemons make me long for summer!! I cannot even begin to imagine going out and picking lemons in your own backyard!
Love the St. Nick quilt. Can't wait to see the Easter bunny.

dee said...

Oh to have a lemon tree in the yard. The quilt looks like it will be another beauty.

ranette said...

I love both quilts...can't wait to see the handwork you do on them.

The lemons look so yummy and sour that they made my mouth water just looking at them..lol

I won't say who got kicked off of Amazing Race (just in case someone has it tivoed for later) but I'm sad and I'm mad about it...

Julia said...

Yum, your fresh lettuce and your lemons look so very yummy! Some fresh lemonade would be delicious!

I am not a fan of Daylight Savings Time. I wish we would stay on regular time.

Judy said...

Nice finishes!! Loved That Old Nick the first time I saw the book! Do yo guys like Lemon Merangue(sp?) Pie? How the heck do you spell that? Might be nice and you can burn the fluffy white with your torch!

Wendy said...

You are so lucky to have a tree full of lemons. I love lemons in my baking, muffins, lemon loaf.
You are fast, the spring quilt is wonderful, can't wait to see it with the bunny.

Stephanie D. said...

I certainly can't see that you are missing an hour anywhere.

Hmmm--has it been 6 weeks already? Busy little guys.

Loving the jellybean quilt!

Candace said...

Now I call that a productive weekend! Everything is so beautiful, Libby - the compost, the quilts, the lettuce (oh how I love my fresh picked lettuce)! Excuse me now while I go pick up some jelly beans :>)
Cheers!

Guðrún said...

Old St. Nick is looking better each time you show us.

Lisa Boyer said...

LOVE the Spring quilt! I love the colors, but I especially love what you did with the border--so excitingly, endearingly scrappy!!

Carol said...

We love the Amazing Race...I stop everything to watch it. Your St.Nick quilt is just awesome!

katelnorth said...

How about lemon sorbet? Not hard to make, very yummy and about a third the calories of ice cream (and no fat!)