Sunday, March 15, 2009

Here it is nearly the end of the weekend and not much to share in the way of quilt progress. Still the days have been full and productive. On Friday I was looking back at some older blog posts. I realized that I had done a lot more work and planting in the garden by this time last year. Time to get away from the computer and get to work.
We happen to live in a spot where the soil quality is poor at best - mostly sand with a little bit of clay. Each year I dig and dig to loosen things up then start adding bags and bags of store bought soil. It's not easy work, but it pays off in the long run.
I picked up some little veggies to put in the freshly amended soil. We have eggplant, cucumbers, broccoli (or Brussels Sprouts depending on which little spike you choose to believe - we'll all be surprised together,) jalapeno and Anaheim peppers.
I also have seed packets with some herbs, beans and squash. Tomato plants will follow shortly. The peas are starting to climb up the trellis. And the time has come to thin some of the lettuce as well as plant another round to keep the harvest coming.
I found a fun place to put the little fairy chime that Julie gave me this week - she's keeping the chives company.
I've been wanting an ornamental windmill for some time now. There are a couple of them in the Lehman's catalog. Luck was on my side when I spotted one at my favorite local junk store while Hubby and I were out and about doing errands.
Already a little rusty, a much smaller price tag and no shipping costs, it fit the bill in every way. I know I'm going to enjoy seeing it out in the garden for a long time to come.
Spring just wouldn't be spring without some good old-fashioned cleaning. The whole family joined in on the fun. Hubby washed windows and cleaned all the really high, hard to reach spots. The Princess did lots of detail work - moving furniture and getting into those nooks and crannies that are easy to overlook. I concentrated on some organizing and decluttering.
We use the third bedroom more like an office. For the last several months it has turned into the dumping grounds for anything that didn't really have a place to go. Things had piled up to the point there wasn't even a place to sit on the love seat.
That's much better. There's not even anything hiding behind the pillows.
The bookshelf and closet each got a turn at being straightened up. Much better.
As long as we were doing all that clean up and rearranging, the time seemed right to bring out the spring quilts. Here's a couple that I don't think I've shown before. Butterflies from a Cheri Payne book. The blocks came from a swap at my local quilt shop.
This quilt is from a kit that was put together at a local shop. They offered two different fabric options. I chose the one that had colors that rarely make it to my stash.
I think the pattern is called May Day by Buggy Barn. Someday I'll learn to label my quilts. Then I won't strain my pretty little head so much trying to remember these things.

34 comments:

KCQuilter said...

Oh my gosh, do I ever love that windmill! I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for one around these parts. So great.

Milah said...

Would you pack those quilts up and mail them to me? Pleaseee?

Have you ever made compost? If not, it's not that hard and it's fun. Seeing how you like to get your hands in the dirt I thought you'd like doing that.

Lorraine said...

wow...that windmill is a find!! Looks great!! well done with getting everyone involved in the spring cleaning...we are about to undertake some renovations to our house so there will lots of dust and dirt....and I don't care! I will be so pleased to get the work done!

Stephanie D. said...

I bought hubby a brand new one about 25 years ago and just took it out of the box 2 years ago. I have it all put together except--the windmill part is too heavy for me to lift onto the stand and attach by myself. I think I'm going to ask my neighbor for help.

LOVE that MayDay quilt!

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

I love your windmill! I am going to hunt for one this year :o) I have been thinking about one for a few years now. And I am in love with your beautiful quilts! Such nice work and I love your colors.

Dixie said...

Love your gardening plans - my arugula that was planted last weekend is just coming up. It will probably be a while longer for the peas to emerge. Hubby helped me clean up the side yard and we went to the local landscape center for a pickup load of decomposed granite today which we spead out. Hopefully it will keep the errant blackberry vines from coming back with all their prickles!

Catherine said...

Your vegetable garden looks so amazing to me -- as we're just now starting to see the odd shoot of green coming up in gardens.
Love the quilts -- particularly the butterfly one!

Quilt Hollow said...

Your quilts are lovely as always. Can I tell you that my DH has been after me to be sure labels are on my quilts for future generations of our family. He has really been insisting with my Boxy Star quilt. I know he is right...why is it that putting on something as simple as label isn't simple?

Candace said...

Libby, since I can't have a garden this year I'm going to virtual/armchair garden with you! I know what you mean about amending the soil - can't tell you how many bags of dirt and compost I have added over the years - but I suspect your worms will make it even richer! Have you checked on them lately?
Congratulations on the fantastic windmill find - lucky you! You had a very productive weekend for sure!
Cheers!

Jeanette said...

I can't wait for spring to arrive here. I love your quilts, too!

Karen said...

I do love your spring quilts! And the flag quilt in the office is a good one, too. You do like red as I can see in the office.
I wish I had the gardening urges like you do. The windmill is a good find. I have been to Leahman's Hardware in Ohio several times. It is a fun place to browse.

Stina said...

Ahh..Libby it is such a pleasure to visit you... true inspiration from the start... :o)
Wow.. that windmill...it was meant for you!! Love to see your new and fresh little plants... gives me hope it will be green here someday... and wow...didn´t know you had "hidden" so wonderful quilts... they are lovely...so thanks for showing them... have had the butterfly quilt on my to do list ... so I was happy to see your version..:o)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

The quilts are fabulous and fun! I justlove those chunky flutter-byes and May Day is a treasure, too! Thanks for sharing... I need to do some deepSpring cleaning here.

loulee said...

Spring really is in the air, this place got a good clean up too.
Thanks for sharing your pretty quilts.

Shasta said...

It really is spring in your household. I can't wait for ours! I guess I should be doing some spring cleaning, but I am so behind on everyday housework. You quilts are pretty. Maybe you can label them now while you remember because you will have to strain even more to remember 10 years from now.

~Bren~ said...

It is finally feeling more like spring here! Your windmill is perfect!
Love the spring quilts.

QuiltedSimple said...

Love your windmill! I've been looking for one for a while - that and an outhouse. That looks so great!
Kris

Cathi said...

The windmill was a great find. I've always wanted one, too. And I have that Cheri book. It's been raining here for 3 days with 1 more to go so I think this evening would be a good time to peruse my Cheri books again to start dreaming of the next project!

Darlene said...

I grew up in South Texas with my cattle ranching grandparents and have fond memories of their windmill. Yours brought a huge flood of memories - thank you so much, Libby! You'll enjoy having it in your back yard.

Love the quilts - whew I'm tired - you guys were busy, busy, busy!

Screen Door said...

Be careful.... the neighbors are going to be jealous of that beauty of a windmill---A fat quarter says they'll be making comments before you know it... Love the quilts. Spring time is just waking up in the U.S. everywhere. I so love looking at the springtime quilts.

Julia said...

My Mom and Dad have a windmill just like that one. I love to check it every time I leave the driveway, to see which way the breeze is blowing. Fun!!

I love that May Day quilt! The colors and fabrics are delicious! The simplicity is perfect!

I am starting to get the itch to get out and get our veggie garden going, but I have to wait a few more weeks yet.

The Quilt Buddy said...

Oh Libby, everything that you have is so warm and inviting! I just want to grab one of those quilts and sit down with a cup of tea (and stay awhile).

BTW-what do you do with all of your quilts? Do you display them at once or do you you rotate them out?

Have a good week!

Carole said...

I started to keep a list/table in word of the name of the pattern and the date I started the project. Of course, when it's finished, I add the completed date. I started that in 2007. I start a new list every year. It's working so far. I do sometimes forget to enter a project, so it's not completly accurate in terms of date but it's something! lol

Sweet P said...

Your garden is looking good. We still have snow on the ground here :(

Sounds like a great job was done on spring cleaning. That we did do here on Saturday. Of course, hosting a baby shower kind of helped in the process.

I love your butterfly quilt!

Judy said...

Sometimes it's fun to pick the colorway that's totally different from the norm! Looks bright and cheery! Love the wind mill! Wish I had a junk store near me. I think CA has loads more junk, antique, and vintage type stores.

paula, the quilter said...

I always get a little 'garden fix' here! It is still too cold at night although I noticed my ditch lilies are starting to poke their heads above ground and so are the iris. Woo hoo!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I just love seeing the green plants in your post. I'll be planting mine in about May. We did have a sunny weekend although still cold but some days you can tell spring is on it's way.

Guðrún said...

Your poor little head *LOL* The windmill and the quilts are beautiful.

Carol said...

Love your windmill...and those quilts...OMG...just awesome!

Quilt Memories said...

Beautiful Quilts, and the garden is coming along nicely. I DO NOT know a thing about gardening and am not interested, but I do love reading your post about all you grow. I certainly would rather be quilting memories LOL

julieQ said...

I love your buggy barn quilt, the colors are so pretty to me. I have been slowly planting a little bit, have some onions, tomatoes, peppers in the ground. Our soil is poor, what I really need is a composter!

Quilter Kathy said...

Your photos of gardening make me long for spring...everything here is still dead.
I really love your buggy barn quilt!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love that May Day quilt! And the colors/shade are wonderful. I wouldn't have anything in my stash like that eitehr, but it is so perfect for this quilt! Your windmill is awesome!

Julie Isa said...

Hi libby,
a gal commented on my blog after seeing a mayday quilt that i recently quilted for a friend. she thought that we have the same kit from fat quarters. are you from the north county area? i haven't had a chance to look through your blog, but i can't wait to have the time. take care!