Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tuesday finally arrived - a long anticipated day. You see Julie from Through the Barn Door is staying in my neighborhood right now and we had a date. A date to visit some quilt shops, enhance our stashes and help out the economy. This week just happens to be the Quilt Shop Hop in the area. We didn't plan to complete the run, but we joined in the fun at the shops we did visit.
First stop was Rosie's Calico Cupboard. We found a 'sidewalk sale' of sorts before we ever entered the shop. Bolts of sale fabrics, notions, magazines and an 'employee stash sale.' I picked up these three books so fast I almost made my own head swim. At only $2 and $3 each, I just couldn't leave them on the table.
Once inside the fun continued. We were offered lollipops with wrappers that could possibly have a prize - no prize for us other than a tasty treat. I used great restraint and tried to only pick up things I truly need like the needles. I probably didn't really 'need' the buttons, but my button jar is getting pretty well picked over and could use a boost. The fabrics were end of bolt purchases of fabric that I have been drawn to before. It felt like my last chance.
Our other shop of choice is just right down the street - The Country Loft. As soon as we stepped through the door we were handed tickets for a 'bell ringer drawing,' directed to the sale fabrics on the back porch, and tips on the new patterns, fabrics and antiques all around the shop.
It wasn't long before my arms started filling up - a couple of fat quarters, a few pieces from the new Jan Patek fabric line, and some darling tape measure twill tape.
Then out to the garden shed where I found this little gem.
I'm pretty sure I heard it call my name. It's going to be just perfect for carrying the new hexagon project I'll be starting soon.
That was the end of the shopping time for Julie and I, but not the end of our visit. Hubby and I were invited to join Julie, her Dear Hubby and Sweet Mom for dinner. JDH (Julie's Dear Hubby) prepared his dinner specialty - seafood crepes. Okay, here's the deal - JDH should open a restaurant and serve only this one dish. They were melt in your mouth delicious, filled with shrimp, scallops, crab and covered in a decadent creamy sauce - a flavor I want to experience again and again. Asparagus with hollandaise and fresh fruit salad completed the main meal.
JSM (Julie's Sweet Mom) baked apple pie for our dessert featuring her famous crust,. I would love to have a lesson on making crust from JSM, it was light, flaky and tasty, too. A slice of pie, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a little coffee and an evening of friendly conversation. Is there a better way to cap off a fun day?
Normally the answer would be no, but this time there was presents! A miniature rose bush, a wind chime and some seeds for the garden, a tin of hand cream, and a scissor pouch.
Oh wait - do you see that little crow? Isn't he just perfect? I could hang him on the Christmas tree, but I think he needs to stay out all year. What a fun day we had. I'll be counting the days until we can do it again.

24 comments:

Screen Door said...

Sounds Perfect-- Wish I were there:)

ROZ said...

What fun.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That kind of day sounds like heaven on earth... good for the body, creative soul and spirit!

Stina said...

Oh oh... I certinely wish I was in CA instead of here...imagine to shop in those shops...ahhh..that would be nice...:o)btw...I have one of the books... The Garden Club...it is fantastic..:o)
Shopping...beeing with a wonderful friend..and deliscious food...sounds just fantastic!! And presents...almost forgot...:o) Perfect day!!

paula, the quilter said...

Shop hops are so truly fun when they are done a friend. I love the black bird!

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims and Gardens said...

Your days sounded just perfect....quilt shops are so fun during shop hops. Friends, quilt shops, food, gifties, sounds perfect indeed.

McIrish Annie said...

what a great visit! and that quilts for a winter day looks like it will be great! but you don't have winter???? LOL

you showed great restraint. I absolutely love the measureing tape trim tooo cute

loulee said...

It sounds like a great visit.

Jeanette said...

Jealous! :-D It sounds like you had such a fun day!!

Guðrún said...

Sounds like a perfect day.

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh what a wonderful day! The meal sounds lovely and your presents were so cute. I love your buys particularly the books (what a bargain) and the measure twill tape!

Mad Red Hare said...

Love the fabric pieces you purchased. I need to get into my sewing room. Darn job gets in the way every time.

Candace said...

Oh how fun to spend the day with a fellow blogger AND visit some Shop Hop shops - it doesn't get any better than that - unless of course its topped of with such a delicious sounding dinner!
Cheers!

Kim said...

The entire day was a treat. I am glad that you, Julie and family had such a lovely time together.

Yaya and Papa said...

I subscribe to your blog and read it regularly! Do you live in East County?? I live in North County (San Marcos)! Your post today caught my eye when you mentioned the "Shop Hop" in the area. I'm a quilter too and work at Quilt in a Day(in San Marcos) and have been working almost everyday of the run so haven't been able to venture to any other shops-thanks for making me feel as though I had visited a few by your post!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh man, what a perfect day! I"m drooling over the dinner as I type! And wonderful fabric finds! You got one of the black ones I got this past weekend!

Stephanie D. said...

MmmmmMMMM, what a perfect kind of day! Fabric shops, yummy food, kindred spirits--could a gal ask for more?

Catherine said...

What a perfect day! Great quilt shops, great company, great food and presents? How could it get better?

Angie said...

Wow, it sounds like a perfect day!! Love all of your goodies, especially the end-of-bolt fabrics, those are both excellent!

Karen said...

What a fun day quilt shop hopping, a delicious dinner, apple pie with ice cream and gifts!
I have the Country Threads Garden Club book. I am not sure that is the exact name of it. I have wanted to make the quilt the last two years. Maybe this year.

Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Ooh pretty shopping. Sounds like you guys had a great time!

~Bren~ said...

What a great time!!
Love the purchases, and the dinner sounds sooooo good!

Judy said...

Very cool! I went looking for interesting old tins yesterday and found nothing in the thrift stores. I even went looking for more buttons too as they usually come stashed in lovely blue jars...but only jars. No buttons. Looks like a great day of friends and shopping!

Carole said...

What a lovely day! My goodness, love the fabrics! CA does seem to have some lovely shops! Thanks for sharing!