Thursday, April 16, 2009

Doesn't it seem like everyone becomes anxious for spring to arrive. Not the date on the calendar spring, but the spring of warm weather and new beginnings. The funny thing about spring is that it's not always a time of gentle warmth and splendid sunny days. In my neck of the woods, the weather has turned cold, windy and a little nasty. Oh it looks pretty from the inside, but step out the door and you quickly want to make your way right back inside.
That is exactly what I have done this week. I get out and splash a little water on the tender garden plants. It wouldn't be fair to leave them to their own devices, but I don't linger either. Time enough for that when the winds subside and the air is warm again.
Instead I have been working on those hexagons. At long last, I've completed the light round on the stars.
I've been basting and stitching black hexes for the next round. It takes 48 pieces to go around a star and there are 32 stars to go. That's a LOT of basting, but I've come up with a good system to keep my interest going. One star, one small diamond, one big diamond (for Martha Washington) and one small diamond. So far it is working nicely and my little stacks are growing taller by the day.
I'll leave you with a photo of an older quilt I found in a cabinet today. This is from my brief but prolific 'Chicken Period.' It is called Circle of Hens, a pattern by a local designer.
There are several fabrics that I just love but don't have any more. I don't fret over it too much. If I had more, they wouldn't seem so special. This was the first time I did a binding that wasn't 45 degree miters on the corners. One turn is a little 'iffy' but overall not bad. We never learn if we never try.

22 comments:

Milah said...

It took me a minute but I finally saw the chickens.

Cute.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I think your chicken period must have produced some lovely treasures, the photo of the stacked hexes is great!

Julie in the Barn said...

Oh my, yes, I too had a period of folksy animals. I did one with cows, one with cats & one with the requisite chickens. LOL. Still cold up here. Got up to 45 today. Your stack of hexes is impressive! You have more patience than I, girlfriend.

Karen said...

Chickens are a big favorite of mine and this is one quilt pattern I have not seen. Unique!

Anne said...

Love those plaids in your chicken quilt. So warm and fuzzy!

Lea said...

Buuuurrrrrr... my house is cold! Well... The weather report said it'll be warmer in this weekend and I hope so.*S*

I love your chicken quilt. :-) I always love chicken motif and yours are darn cute!
Also I'm soooooooo in love with your hex blocks. It's very tempting. ( I shall not start.... *LOL*)

Stina said...

Love the odd shaped chicken quilt... :o) ... and working hard on your hexagons too... wonder how many you have left to make?? :o)

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Hi Libby, I am glad you are back from your "spring break" I missed reading your posts!
Your hexagon quilt is going to be out of the world! I know you are going to make me want one! heheh
melissa

Kathie said...

wow that pile is amazing!
oh I Love the chickens
ah yes a chicken phase I feel one coming on to tell you the truth!
this would look great on my kitchen table
I have a "few" chickens/roosters in my kitchen!

Judy said...

I think the chickens are kinda cute! Good table topper!! Can't wait to see all the hexagons start joining up in a nice quilt!

Stephanie D. said...

Well, you still have the fabrics--just in multiple places. You still get to look at them.

Sharon said...

Thanks for the Hexagon update, I'm working away on samples for a class I'm teaching and to keep my motivation, I also switch from basting or attaching or switch sizes and colors. The beige and black ones get a bit dreary after a few hundred!

Mary said...

Oh how adorable, love the chickens!!! And all those hexagons, you must have a lot of patience!! Love your Blog, Hugs, Mary

Carol said...

OMG look at all those hexagons...you've been a very busy girl. Cute chickens.

Candace said...

Wow - that is one huge mountain of hexagons! Way to go, Libby! I love that you had a Chicken Period - don't we all - LOl!!
Cheers!

Quilt Hollow said...

You never disappoint...always fun to stop in and visit!

The Quilt Buddy said...

Oh Libby...you are always so inspiring (check out my post today)! Keep up the good work on your hexagons!

BTW-Love your little "chick"

Have a good weekend!

Guðrún said...

Your stack is very impressing.

Sara said...

Hi Libby,
I was just wondering how big the chicken table topper is? My mom loves it and I am trying to find the pattern to make it for her!

Carole said...

Cute chicken quilt! I'm still into chooks! Just bought a pattern from keepsake! Cheers!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I LOVE the chickens! I want those chickens!!!!!

QuiltedSimple said...

Love the chicken quilt - any idea where I could buy the pattern?
Kris