Monday, April 13, 2009

One of the areas in our home that required some serious spring cleaning attention is the top of the closet in the master bedroom. We have a vaulted ceiling that reaches its peak above the closet, however the closet itself stops at normal closet height. That leaves a nice big, open area to display things.
When we viewed the house for the first time, Hubby thought it would be the perfect spot to store boxes. You know, the kind that most folks would put in the rafters of the garage. While it might have been easy access to Christmas decorations, it didn't seem like the best design or decorating decision.
Instead we chose to display a few things that we love and would enjoy seeing everyday - my mom's childhood rocker, my own childhood rocker, two of my mom's dolls, an old suitcase and a few quilts.
All of that came down, the quilts washed and everything else thoroughly dusted and polished before being replaced. I don't think I've shared any of these quilts on my blog before. So while they've been with me for some time now, they will all be new to you.
The first is called Keep Your Rows Straight. I believe it is a pattern by Joined at the Hip. I made this quilt in 2000 and it is one of my first applique attempts. I used the freezer paper and starch method with good success. It is also an early example of my machine quilting. Surely these are the largest machine quilt stitches known to man.
Here's a peak at the back. What is that?
Why, it's a label! Yes, I used to be very good about labeling my quilts and many of my early pieces have a label. I always enjoyed making them and have no excuse for leaving most of my current quilts label-less. Maybe I can use this as the impetus to begin again.
In the garden, things are growing quite nicely. I've been harvesting lettuce for about 3 weeks now. At first just enough for a sandwich or two.
Today I brought in a colander full - enough to make a salad for dinner. It really is a thrill. I've spied a few blossoms on the tomato plants and eggplant, too. For the second year in a row, I can't seem to keep a cucumber plant alive. I guess I'm just not meant to grow them. Time to find something else to occupy that space and stop frustrating myself.
Time to wash that lettuce. Next time another quilt from the closet.


27 comments:

MARCIE said...

Ah yes, you are back nibbling in your garden! Good for you to get a jump on your house cleaning. I hope the spirit strikes me soon also. And I don't mean strikes me dead! Your shelf looks adorable!

Vicki W said...

I've seen lots of homes with that type of display area but no one that has used it so effectively. What a great place to display family treasures!

Quilt Hollow said...

Ah yes, we too have a high display area and I absolutely hate that once or twice a year when I must tackle it. A ladder needs to be brought up from the basement and it isn't easy getting a vacuum up the ladder either so it is a two man operation....but man, when it is all done as above kitchen cupboards....I feel great! You sure are getting a jump on Spring cleaning and the quilt....well, it's a keeper!

Janet said...

what a lovely display. The quilt you've shown is gorgeous, love it with it's large applique. How nice to enjoy the home grown veges.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Well how fun to see some of your old quilts! Can't wait to see more. My first thought was I thought that was pretty good quilting for a first attempt! I"m so jealous of the garden produce!

Quilt Nut said...

love your quilt!

Stephanie D. said...

That's an interesting idea for a display area! I don't have anything similar in my house except the soffets over the kitchen counters, and right now, my hurricane lamps are up there.

Boy, you really did some deep cleaning!

Lea said...

Your old quilt is beautiful and love a label. :-)

May Britt said...

The quilt is so beautiful. And I wish I had such a place to show of my quilts. Looking forward to see the next quilt.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Lovely quilts...and I like the display area. Your garden harvest looks great. I have only just planted a few things in the garden. No lettuce as i have way too many bunnies near the garden... always running around. But tomatoes and peppers...so far.

Catherine said...

Oooh -- fresh lettuce must be such a treat! I can't wait for some local produce to make a big fresh salad!
Your quilt is wonderful!

Paula said...

Cute quilt!!! And the lettuce is awesome. I wish I had a green thumb.

Kathie said...

that is so great that you get to go outside and pick a salad for dinner. Love that quilt, I remember when that pattern came out, always admired it. At that time the A word was not in my vocab.

too bad, its a great quilt and love the label!
your display is such a wonderful way to display some treasured items.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Congratulations on tackling that cleaning, it's always a great thing to cross off the "to do" list. I'm happy to see you celebrated with some home grown goodness!!

Carol said...

OH Libby, your display area is just wonderful! Good for you getting all this spring cleaning done so you're ready to relax over the summer...LOL! Your lettuce looks yummy...if I lived closer I'd do my produce shopping at your house.

Yvonne said...

Great quilt and a what a clever use of that area. Lettuce is looking lovely....we're starting to turn green here. :)

The Quilt Buddy said...

Good Morning Libby!

I just love to revisit old quilts! It is like seeing old friends again!

I love your display also!

Julia said...

I love your little display area of heirloom treasures! Love the quilt!

I am going to try my hand at lettuce this year. Is it like herbs, you can cut some off and it keeps growing?

Cathi said...

I have that quilt pattern but never made it (with around 100 more LOL). The colors are just perfect. I may need to pull it out and give it another look! We planted lettuce this past weekend. Never done it before. Hope mine turns out as well as yours!

Stina said...

Long time no see Libby...but oh so much fun having you around again... Welcome back... :o)
Sooo good to see the first lettuce... and some of your first quilts... LOVELY ..:o)

BUMBLE BEANS said...

great quilt! garden! wish mine was up! where are you Mr. Sun!

Candace said...

What a great way to display the things you love, Libby! And what always amazes me is how dusty our master closet gets! Your first applique attempt is wonderful and I love how you placed the label in the center!
Cheers!

Finn said...

What a lovely time I've had in your backyard. The quilt is very pretty and what fun to see it on the clothes line and up in the display. I look forward to seeing more of them. Hugs, Finn

Guðrún said...

The display area looks great. No sign of squirrels yet?

Karen said...

I think the decision to display quilts & the rocker is a better decision than boxes! I think I have the Joined at the Hip pattern for the quilt you made but have not done it. Looks good to me!

Betweens said...

I love your applique quilt it is beautifull.. and for the first one!! cleaning really brings back memories when you start pulling everything out!!

QuiltedSimple said...

Love the quilt! And that lettuce looks totally yummy!
Kris