Saturday, April 18, 2009

The weather has turned nice once again and it was time to get out and play a little in the garden. Over the last week, we had been promised some rain. Since that promise did not come true, everything was looking just a touch parched. And with most of the plants still fairly young and tender, they don't always cope well with such poor treatment.
Here's a peek at what's growing in the trellis box this year. Three varieties of lettuce, peas climbing the gates and some spring onions in the far corner.
After the planting was done, I read somewhere that peas and onions don't get along well and shouldn't be planted together. Ooops. So far, so good. I hoping if I don't tell them, they'll never know.
Take a look at these two nice, fat carrots!
They are leftover slow-growers from last year. I didn't mind the wait.
These pumpkins were planted outdoors today along with some potatoes.
They have been in a sunny spot on the kitchen counter for about three weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was a good time to take the plunge.
Still on the kitchen counter is my little Christmas tree.
It is surely not ready to go outside yet. That's fine by me - we are enjoying each other's company every morning when I fill my coffee cup.
Just to show that not everything is happening out in the garden.
These are the 1" hexagon diamonds that I have completed so far. This is not how they will be set together, just a way to get them all in one photograph. The best part about these is how they feel in my hands as I stitch them. I'm using all brushed cottons which are so soft to the touch. It's amazing to me how just a half inch difference in hexagon size grows so much more quickly. These 9 diamonds are nearly as big as the 9 stars I have together in the other project! I might just be sold on 1" hexagons!

21 comments:

KCQuilter said...

Mmmmm....your garden is making me hungry. Hungry for our local farmers markets, sadly still several weeks away. Enjoy!

Juliann in WA said...

Those hexagons are really making a bit impression on quilt land lately. enJOY

Stephanie D. said...

I don't think I know anyone else who grows carrots. I mean, peas, and onions, and squashes, and tomatoes, yeah, but carrots!

This makes you a serious gardener in my book!

Catherine said...

Your garden looks lovely. I bought some lettuce today at $3/head. I will be so glad when our local produce starts making an appearance at market. :-)
The difference in hexagon size is incredible. I'm currently working with .50" and 1" ones and it's like night and day.

QUILTILNLG IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Hi Libby--Your garden grows so pretty and to be able to just walk out your door and pick something to go with supper, or lunch is a little bit of heaven. and all those hexagons--you are a true stitcher there--keep going!!!!
Just, Di

Guðrún said...

The hexagons are great. I hope no one will tell the onion or the peas!

Karen said...

You amaze me with all your vegeies growing in every little spot you find around the outside of your house!
I didn't know you planned to use brushed cottons on your hex project. I can imagine that it will be a very soft quilt, especially if you use brushed cotton on the back. I know the way they are laying is not the setting, but I do like it that way.

Yvonne said...

Your carrots look yummy and I'm glad the peas don't know they aren't supposed to get along with them onions. :)
I cut out some 1" hexagons today.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I wonder if the peas and the onions shouldn't be planted together because the peas will taste onion-y; it's got my curiosity raised now. The hexes are simply grand!

Carol said...

Your garden is amazing.I know where to come for some good fresh produce. Love your hexes...

Wendy said...

Your garden looks wonderful. I can't wait to see what you are doing with the hexagons.

Judy said...

Can't wait to have the yard for growing things! SO nice to know just where your food is coming from!

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh I love seeing your garden grow and those carrots look so good! Glad theres been a little sewing too!!

Lea said...

Your Vegi-patch looks very good.
I planted corns this year too and hopefully it will grown like yours.(I used the corn seeds)
:-)

and your hexagons are just DIVAINE!!!! love your color schame, it's SOoooo YOU! :-)

Carole said...

Hum.... while you may have carrots from last year, I have leeks! lol This morning I went out to enjoy my coffee, sat my our raised garden and notices leeks coming up. Somehow they survived our winter. Enjoy!

tami said...

I'm so jealous of your garden. I just bought seeds today.
The hexagons are gorgeous. I can't wait to see that quilt finished. I just don't have the patience for hexagons.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

The garden photos looked great.I am holding thumbs that Mine will survive the deer, rabbits and squirrels.

Candace said...

Your garden looks so great, Libby! I've had more trouble with carrots - you must tell me your secret! Love the hexagons!
Cheers!

Veronica said...

Hello: I love your blog, your works are beautiful. I am from Argentina .aqui not exsisten things to do patchwork but we are many women that we sew. A greeting .Vero

Amanda said...

Your garden is so sweet! I love reading about it. I can't wait to start ours. It's still a little cool here.

I love the quilts you have showed from your display in your bedroom. I have been spring cleaning, too. I haven't had much time to quilt either, but I'm sure resting in your chair making hexagons is relaxing after cleaning and working in the yard.
They're beautiful.

I love how your daughter got her name. I always thought it was her name in blogland! :)

Marilyn R said...

Love those hexagons! Let us know how those peas and onions get along.Curious minds want to know!