Saturday, May 16, 2009

I have always loved hand stitching down binding more than any other part of quilt making. I can't really explain why, I just know it's true. One thing is for sure, it means that a quilt is just about done. Spring Clean Up is now done. Binding stitched down and currently displayed on the chest by the front door.
I can't take credit for the quilting on this one. The friend that brought home the KitchenAid mixer earlier in the week, wanted to take Caasi for a test drive. I'm tellin' you, I think I'm on to something here. A friend that will do your errands and your quilting, too, is a friend that you always want to keep close.
In my last post, I teased some fabrics for an upcoming project. Yesterday was the planned start date for The Garden Club Quilt from Country Threads.
When this quilt first became available as a block of the month, I was a brand new quilter with none of the skills or confidence needed to tackle this project. Later the patterns were presented in book form, but I took a pass because I was already struggling to finish two other primitive block of the month quilts. I sort of forgot about about it until I came across the book on a dollar table a couple of months back and shared my triumphant purchase here.
That's when the idea to start the quilt with a few other blogging friends began to form. I can hardly believe that I've actually started. Our little Garden Club has grown now to include Karen, Colleen, Kim, Beth, Yvonne, and Stina. It's easy to see there will lots of inspiration and encouragement.
I have chosen to start at the beginning of the book and work my way through chapter by chapter. I hope to use only fabrics from scraps and stash. After a sluggish start yesterday where I only managed to trace my applique shapes on to freezer paper, I got much more accomplished today.
The applique is prepped for the basket block.
The saw-tooth stars are pieced and just a dab more applique is prepped.
The stripes for the flag are pieced together. That's where I stopped.
The stars for the flag are pieced with templates. Templates are not my strong suit and I plan to paper piece. That's a technique that I'm only slightly better at than template piecing. I'll save that for a day when my brain, my eyes and the coffee are all fresh.

31 comments:

Karen said...

Can your friend come do some errands and quilting for me? I could sure use her.
You actually accomplished quite a bit on the Garden Club quilt. You made lots of decisions and got some stuff ready to go together.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Wow! What a beautiful start! Love the fabrics you selected. The gray for the basket is perfect :o) I am so excited to do this one. Beth showed me this book and I grabbed my copy off of E-bay and knew that this was on the "to do" list. So glad to be working with everyone!

Milah said...

Wow, you are moving right along!

I know what you mean about sewing a binding on.....same here.;D

The Quilt Buddy said...

When you are done putting your friend to work, you can send her over to my house! I must warn, I might not want to return her, so you better ask is she has a twin sister!

Looks like you are off to a great start on your next amazing project.

Have a good weekend!

kjquilts said...

I love that quilt too. I have the book and look at it every now and then. Looks like your friend did a great job quilting your quilt!

Gwendie said...

I have that book, too. I haven't made the quilt but have made several of the blocks into one block quilts and love them. You should have a great time doing this with blogging friends! It looks like you're off to a great start - keeping sharing pictures as you go. I'd love to see them.

Quilter Kathy said...

My goodness you have been very busy!
It's a wonderful challenge to try to make a quilt out of scraps and stash. I look forward to seeing how it grows!

Stina said...

Ahhh.. Love your first block... :o)) or should I say blocks... Havent started at all here.. still coughing and feeling miserable...but hope to at least look in the book today!!! :o)))

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I have that book. I haven't started any of the patterns, but I hope to one day.

Love the little quilt in the first picture...the colours play so nicely together.

Screen Door said...

Can't wait to see your block progress. I've got the pompoms waiting. A little too timid to join in with projects already on my plate----But This is wayyyy coooool doing it with friends.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

How fun to work on this project with blog friends! Looking forward to the finished result.

Guðrún said...

What a great friend. I am so looking forward to see your new project finished. You are always finishing something, so productive.

BUMBLE BEANS said...

I have a stack of quilts for your friend to quilt, I think after that post she could start a quilting business! It's fun to watch you get excited about a project! once you start and get into it it really takes off! can't wait to see the rest!

Carole said...

I like your new header! Enjoy your new project! Looking forward to seeing your progress! Cheers!

Catherine said...

I love stitching down binding too -- and I adore that quilt!
What a great friend you have!

Melinda said...

I have the original block of the month pamphlets and have a couple of blocks made. I would love to get this quilt done. I am using brighter colors.

Judy said...

You have quite a good start on that one...Love that basket background fabric. Well they are all nice fabrics! Should look lovely!

I have that book too..got it for $3...but too much to do at the moment!

Carrie ~ said...

Your quilt start looks great, love that quilt. I will enjoy watching it come together.

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

That is going to be one awesome quilt!!! I might just have to go and find myself that book =)
What kind of applique do you do? Needle turn? The basting you did looks interesting like you machine basted the pieces ...just curious.
melissa

anne bebbington said...

Libby - your Spring Clean Up quilt is absolutely gorgeous finished - the colour choices are perfect - so much so I've turned into 'copy-cat coco' and decided to imitate it but in a larger four patch quilt format, hope you take my imitation as the sincerest form of flattery - never thought I'd hear myself saying this but I'm actually enjoying piecing triangles - think I must have had a bump on the head somewhere and just not noticed!

Quilt Hollow said...

I'd say your friend is a keeper and the quilting, washing and crinkle is wonderful on that free little number!
You guys are going to make me wish I pulled fabrics and started that quilt with you aren't you! Now Stina too?! Just wish there wasn't so much else happening for the next two months.
Have to ask...is your applique needleturn? I was trying to get a good look at the prepping.

Dixie said...

How cool that your friend did the quilting on your Spring Clean Up quilt so you could do the fun binding part (my fav too)! Bravo!!! Love how it turned out. The Garden Club quilt is wonderful - I remember seeing that book when it came out, so will have to keep an eye out for it along the way. Looking forward to seeing your progress on it!

Carol said...

Love your quilt and your Garden quilt is going to be awesome...love the fabrics you've picked.

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh Im looking forward to seeing this come together!

Anne Heidi said...

I love the way your quilt turned out. I love sewing the binding down as well- something about finishing another project I guess :) I just love to see it all finished.
Your new garden club quilt project looks great!

MARCIE said...

Oh wow, I want to do this too. You girls will be having fun, and I hate being left out!

Sweet P said...

Spring Clean Up is gorgeous! How cool to have friends who run errands and quilt your quilts! Good luck on your new project.

Stephanie D. said...

Wow, that's a lot done on your Garden Club quilt! It's going to be beautiful!

Marilyn R said...

I love your Spring Clean Up quilt. It is a beauty! It will be fun watching your progress on the Garden Club quilt, along with the others who are joining you.

Vicki W said...

That's a super cute quilt!

AllisonK said...

Your post inspired me to pull this pattern out and start working again. Thank you.