Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Welcome home, friend.
Two weeks ago today, I was happily kneading dough in the early morning when suddenly my Kitchen-aid mixer just plain stopped. The motor would run, but the hook refused to budge. Hubby did some on-line research and attempted a repair. Soon he came to say the repair was beyond him. So we bundled up the machine drove a couple of towns over to the 'authorized service center.' With estimate in hand, we came home to wait the 7-10 days for our turn in the repair line-up.
A friend who lives near the repair shop graciously offered to pick up and return the mixer home. This morning with a brand new gear, gasket, and freshly packed grease, Kitchy and I got to work.
With bread fresh from the oven, lunch was just delightful. No more store-bought bread.
And as long as I was in the kitchen, why not make a little sweet treat, too?
Won't The Princess be happy to find cookies and milk waiting when she gets home from classes this afternoon.
Yesterday, Karen mentioned starting a new project on Friday. I'm going to be joining her and others in a project that is best taken on with encouragement and inspiration from friends. It will be a no rules, no pressure agenda with the goal of having one beauty of a quilt in the not too distant future. My excitement has nearly reached the level of a child waiting for Christmas to finally get here.
So much so that like a naughty child, I cheated just a little. While pulling from my scrap basket for another little project last week, I couldn't resist putting these pieces aside in anticipation. Now I see this little pile of scraps on the cubby table each morning as I count down to Friday. Friday sure seems to be taking a long time to get here.

29 comments:

Lindsey said...

but but but....where's the recipe for the bread!?

Quilt Hollow said...

Looks yummy....and the quilt you all will work on is a good one! I have that pattern too...just can't start something like that this month...perhaps play catch up later..we'll see.

Gwendie said...

If my Kitchen Aid was not feeling up to par, I don't know what I'd do. I have three daughters who all asked for a Kitchen Aid mixer for college graduation! The oldest (37) has worn hers out - which I didn't think possible. Maybe it just needs what yours did.

The pictures of your bread reminded me - I have a few new types to try. They look yummy!!!

Candace said...

So glad you mixer is working again, Libby! I foolishly gave mine up for a Viking mixer a few years ago - thinking the more powerful motor would be better - NOT! I dearly miss the Kitchen Aid for a lot of reasons! Your bread looks so beautiful I can almost smell it over the internet! Can't wait to see your new project!
Cheers!

Stephanie D. said...

That's gorgeous bread! The cookies don't look bad, either! lol

Karen said...

When I first saw the picture on your blog, I thought it was a space alien! Then I realized it was Kitchen Aid. I have one but have never used it for bread making. Shame on me! Your bread looks yummy!

QuiltedSimple said...

So glad you got your Kitchen Aid back! And yes, where is the recipe for the bread - looks so yummy!
Kris

Kathie said...

warm bread and cookies , your house must smell so nice!!!!
yummy!!!!!
wish I was coming over.
can't wait to see what you will start/make with those fabrics!
kathie

julieQ said...

I am coming over! I want milk and cookies too. I have a mixer very similar that I got for Christmas, and just love it so much.

Crazy for Primitive Quilts and Gardens said...

Oh my you have been busy! That bread looks heavenly.

Can't wait until Friday to start the quilt!

Janet said...

I'd be making the bread by hand, after home made you get spoiled and store bought bread is just not the same. Cookies look delicious. I have no idea what quilt you're making but I hope you let us know on Friday!

tami said...

Oh my! That all looks yummy. I just LOVE hot from the oven bread and cookies. I can almost smell them.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I'm still using my mom's Kitchen Aid that she bought over 35 years ago! Looking forward to seeing your quilt project in the works.

Guðrún said...

That bread looks so DELICIOUS, wow you are the master of bread making. I am very curious about your new project!!!

The Calico Cat said...

I think we have the same mixer - except that mine is "silver."

mamaspark said...

So how do you get your cookies to turn out like that? Mine always spread too much. Yours look fantastic!

Judy said...

Should be fun to see what you gals are making! I LOVE that blue stripe on the bottom of the picture...it's one of my favorite blues!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness, it is heaven at your house!
Fresh baked bread AND homemade cookies?!?
Enjoy starting a new project!!

Lea said...

Good, your kitchen buddy is back now! Your bread always looks so yummy. :-)

Kim said...

We're starting this Friday? Sigh...I'm gonna need some of those cookies while I'm mulling over the fabric selection.

AnnieO said...

That looks delicious! Lucky Princess indeed. Glad your hard working machine is up to fine fettle and creating wonderful food back in your grasp once more! Enjoy your quilting project, it looks great!

Stina said...

Hey...what quilt is going to start on Friday... ?????
Think I have missed something really fun here... you got me so curious.. I just had to ask???? :o)
Glad you gor your friend back.. so You can start enjoying THE BREAD again.. Have a great Friday!!! :o)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Have fun today! I can almost smell the yummy aroma of freshly baked goodness wafting from your home... enjoy~

Julia said...

My KitchenAid died several years ago. I sure do miss her. I really need to get another one. Right now I am using a bread machine for mixing and kneading my dough. It's working good so far.

Can't wait to see the new project!

Wendy said...

The baked goods look so delicious, I bet everyone is happy to have that smell in the house again.
I can feel the anticipation of the new project...can't wait to see the progress.

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

The bread looks marvelous. You have a really neat site.
xoxo Nita

Clausewitz said...

Oi. Parabéns por seu excelente blog. Gostaria de lhe convidar para visitar meu blog e conhecer alguma coisa sobre o Brasil. Abração

Carole said...

I love my Kitchy too! I'm miss her if she was gone! Haven't tried kneeding bread! I use my bread machine for that on dough setting! I have the pasta attachements that I frequently use! I do love fresh pasta! Enjoy!

Rannyjean said...

Oh, I know how you felt. My Cuisenart blade holder snapped and I haven't been the same since. But the new one should be here soon. The baked goods looked so yummy and your garden is beautiful.
I have given your blog an award, please stop by and pick it up.
http://quiltingranny.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-have-new-blog-award.html