Tuesday, June 09, 2009

A quick glance at the calendar tells me that the days of spring are numbered and summer will be with us in no time at all. This spring has been a long one, filled with unpredictable weather, fun in the garden and cleaning - lots and lots of cleaning.
Since mid-March, there has been a slow and methodical de-cluttering going on. That has resulted in lots of full cans at the curb on trash day, several trips to the Goodwill donation drop-off and a few trips down memory lane.
Here's a peek at the latest journey -
No, your eyes are not deceiving you. That is in fact a stereo with a 'semi'-working 8-track player and it is right here in our home (okay, it's in the garage.) It is the stereo I had in my room back in the 70's. Check it out. It even has the ability to record onto a blank 8-track tape. Imagine the hours I spent making mix tapes before they became all the rage. It was no easy feat to time out my favorite songs while attempting to avoid the dreaded track change mid song.
Years ago, Hubby and I got rid of all but our two favorite cartridges. When I stumbled upon them in the dark recesses of a cabinet, I just had to see if they would still play. The sound quality is bad, track changes iffy, but Hubby and I were singing along none-the-less.
The Princess took her own trip down memory lane over the weekend. Since her return home, she has missed her favorite German meal from her favorite restaurant in Landstuhl. Over the last several months, she has been prowling the aisles of our local German market for just the right ingredients. Take a look at our Sunday dinner. . . schnitzel with homemade spaetzle. Oh, boy was it good. Hubby and I will encourage her to keep her skills up by asking her to prepare this one for us again and again. She has got one delicious specialty on her hands.
Nothing new on the quilting front. My work on the hexagons continues. Each bit of progress heightens my drive to keep going. I want to see it finished so very badly. The bad news that accompanies that, is every other project is currently being neglected. I hope to get myself into the cubby soon and stitch up something to share.

21 comments:

Karen said...

I am surprised you still had your 8 track player. Did you donate it? Wonder if anyone would buy it.

Screen Door said...

OK-- so now, what are you going to play your Shaun Cassidy and Jim Croce 8 tracks with...completely heart broken, I am. Love the German food. I always say: You are the sum of your experiences. I think Germany will forever be part of the Princess.

Darlene said...

Wow, you unearthed a dinosaur - yep had an 8 track player,as well. So many memories.

The schnitzel looked so yummy. Tell the Princess that when we lived in Germany Jaeger Schnitzels were my favorite with pomme frits. More memories.

Kathie said...

oh my that does look delicious, lucky you having a DD that will cook you dinner!
Kathie

AnnieO said...

My DH still has his 8 track player in the garage too! I am sure he will never get rid of it. We also still use his original Kenwood receiver that he bought probably in 1974 for the ghastly sum of $500, which back then was certainly a huge amount of money. We were playing a Joni Mitchell RECORD just the other day on the turntable. "Court and Spark", my favorite album. Been stuck in my head ever since! (I was a free man in Paris....)

quiltmom said...

Libby,
Isn't amazing how much technology has changed since the early 70's when I first bought records- 45's, LPs and eight tracks- we thought we died and got to heaven with cassettes - then we had CD's ( some of us still have tons of CD's ) now there are IPODS, MP3 players and ways to digitize music that I don't even pretend to understand. It is really not that long a time period for so much change...
I inherited a stereo from an Aunt in 1979 that had eight tracks and a turn table.. We used it for a long time... those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end....

In 1985 my father in law had a dream to celebrate the birth of Bach by having a Bach festival. We had a fund raising dinner at our homes and so I had to cook something that was German. I have forgotten what the dish was called but my mom had a friend who was German so I gathered some German dishes and we had some traditional dishes. It turned out very well and we had an enjoyable evening. It is fun to experiment with other culture's dishes..
I look forward to seeing your Flower garden complete- It is a real beauty.
Regards,
Anna

The Quilt Buddy said...

Wow! I didn't know that anyone still owned one of those and yet you had two of them!


Hope that you enjoyed your dinner!

Eileen said...

Sounds like the rest of us, cleaning out. I did lads of that when we moved , gee, 7 years ago but now my bro. came this week and they are cleaning out and brought a few things to me. Later I guess we will have to clean out again. What to do with those old slides we took so many of when the kids were little? Any suggestions/

The Calico Cat said...

I was born in Landsthul a million years ago... (There might have been an 8-track plaing in the background although my parents were bigger fans of records & the reel to reel!)

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, delicious German dinner. You have a German Market??? How cool is that?

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

That bread sounds divine.... I will definitely try it. I am trying to find a bread recipe...using some whole grains, that isn't light...but a heavier version of bread. Any ideas... I am willing to try...just don't want to throw too many batches into the trash. I did one last week...YUK!

Catherine said...

The schnitzel looks delicious. That is one of my favourite meals!!

Marilyn R said...

I agree, the Schnitzel looks yummy! I remember a Beach Boy's 8 track that I would play over and over. I am totally in love with your star hex quilt!

Cheryl said...

Wow an 8 track player..such memories! We have been decluttering ourselves, well stuff around the house! It feels good! Oh that looks so yummy!

Guðrún said...

The food is looking gooooood.

Quilter Kathy said...

Yum...my favorite!
The food...not the 8 track!!

Candace said...

I SO didn't want to do away with my 8-track player years ago - how neat that yours still works! I sure would have liked to be at your dinner table for the schnitzel - one of my favorites - looks like your Princess is on her way to being a great cook!
Cheers!

Yvonne said...

I want to know which ones you kept. :)

Stephanie D. said...

8-tracks! We had one in the car as well as the living room when we first got married--we were hot stuff!

But when we moved from NM to here, I got rid of the last of the tapes. It 'bout killed me! lol

Sharon said...

Wonderful Deutsch food! We spent 3 years in K-town, and I still love the food. My DH now fixes it! The only thing missing is the sweet & sour red cabbage - tell the Princess to look for it at the store - it's available in jars. YUM!

Oh, the memories in those old 8-tracks!

Carole said...

Gosh, I wonder if I still have one of my 8 tracks that I kept as a souvenir of my life in Florida! lol Yea, they were pretty bad! Then again, we didn't have better, so they were great! lol Cheers!