Monday, June 29, 2009

Thank you all for bearing with me. I have not forgotten that when I began this blog is was primarily a quilting blog with just a touch of this and that thrown in for fun. Lately there has been a lot more this and that and precious little quilting. That holds true not just for my blog, but in my daily life. All work and no quilting makes Libby a cranky girl.
Today that changed . . . . in a small way. Still change is change and I'm all the happier for it. Here's a peek at what I got to do.
Two nearly completed small diamonds for my hexagon stars. When last I stitched on this project, I was adding more star rows to the top. Before I got to the end of my finished stars, I ran out of diamonds. Good thing they stitch up quickly. I should have enough to finish my rows in just a day or so, provided I continue to find a few minutes here and there to stitch.
I've also had a little time to think about the big changes that are ahead of us. I'm looking forward to the adventure of it all. Still California has always been my home. A piece of my heart will remain here forever. And I've been thinking about some of the things that I will truly miss.
Hubby reminded me of this just a few days ago. As far back as I can remember, Santa sat atop a building on Santa Claus Lane right next to the ocean. I longed to stop in and visit that village. But even at my youngest, I knew this was not REALLY where Santa lived. And if our family was driving past it was probably because we were taking a trip to a place where I knew it's most famous resident did live.
Still year after year, Santa was always there to cheerfully wave us on our way. Years went by, I became a grown-up with every opportunity to stop in and visit that little village. But somehow the whole thing seemed a little run down and not very inviting. It was comfort enough to know that Santa was there. Then an group of investors (and apparently non-believers) bought the place with visions of making the prime beach front real estate into something modern and profitable. Santa was taken down. Thank goodness some kind hearted folks of Santa's faithful came to his rescue. With a new paint job and location, he happily salutes everyone who passes him on the 101 Freeway. Hubby and I always return the salute.
Because I do not want to spend my time pining for the familiar, I've made a pact with myself to do a little cyber-touristing. When I find myself thinking about what will be left behind, I turn to the internet to seek what I will be going to. While the roadside Santa might be filled with all sorts of kitsch, I found this place in Massachusetts that looks like just my cuppa to explore. I bet there's a gift shop. One where I can buy some flour to bake bread or maybe bake some cookies to leave on the hearth for Santa.

27 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

oooo - I think I would like exploring that place with you!!!!

Carrie ~ said...

Oh boy, nostalgia, how does one escape its grasps! I think you are on to a good thing, remembering what is dear while seeking a new adventure. I love history of the Oregon Trail, duh, I'm from and live in Oregon, but you Libby are taking the trail in reverse and I am so excited to hear of your journey!! And I like your quilty items, so much they make me want to start it too. Someday, until then I love yours.

Karen said...

We look for grist mills and covered bridges. You are moving up to where there are lots of them. You will enjoy.

kjquilts said...

Libby, I know you will find your place wherever you go. New memories to be made and of course you can bring your old memories with you!

Catherine said...

You are making a huge move, no question, but think of all the adventures you can have discovering new favourites -- be it museums, stores, quirky architecture, great little restaurants that feel like home and, of course, meeting new friends.
Your hexagon diamonds look wonderful!

AnnieO said...

I'm about five miles from where Santa is now living, probably a straight shot behind him as the bird flies, so I'll gladly wave back to you as you go by on the 101! He looked quite a bit better on Santa Claus Lane, but its nice that he's still visible from the 101, as he was in Carpinteria.

anne bebbington said...

We only moved 80 miles when we came to Somerset and just across the English Channel when we went to Northern France but I still did all the research on the area first to whet our appetites and prepare us for the challenge - thank goodness for the internet

Sweet P said...

It is hard moving away from where you've loved a long time. You will enjoy Massachusetts and New England. There is a lot to see and do here.

Screen Door said...

There is so much history where you are headed... I'm one of those people that take tons of pictures, tons of videos, but I don't go back to look at them---kindof like I don't like time passing me by...so I keep my eyes forward-- Really, I'm so excited for you...

Jan said...

Hi, I've never commented before. I just wanted to let you know that The Wayside Inn is lovely. My husband and I were married in the Martha-Mary Chapel that is also on the property along with the grist mill, and the school house from Mary Had a Little Lamb. The Inn itself still works as an inn and a restaraunt. Down the road a piece is Garden In The Woods. A beautiful garden full of wildflowers. I hope you enjoy Massachusetts, if you're looking there is plenty to do here.
Jan

yellowfarmhouse said...

Change - not always the easiest but there are lots of adventures and memories to come. You've got a great attitude about the road your going to be taking. Remember your friends in bloggy land will always be there :)

Hugs - karen

Cathi said...

What a sweet story. I grew up 15 minutes from Valley Forge and Philadelphia but didn't give a hoot about visiting it....not many teenagers are into history of any sort! Since I became an adult and moved away, I very much love the Revolutionary War period and Williamsburg, etc. Wish I had paid more attention when I lived there. Think of all the adventures you will have and all the places you have to explore. You could get lost for days on the beautiful back roads.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

And if you find yourself in Vermont you'll have to visit the King Arthur Flour store. I can do some serious monetary damage in there.

Milah said...

Did you know there is a Santa Claus, Indiana? They have a famous theme park called Holiday World. It might not be Disney, but it's midwestern charm is a bonus. It's located in the southern part of our state and not far away is Spring Mill State Park. With guess what.....a HUGE MILL! Umm..hmm...there's more than corn in Indiana.;D

The Quilt Buddy said...

Hang in there Libby!

Just think of all of your new adventures. Plus you still have "us"!

McIrish Annie said...

Don't worry you will find lots of Santas in Massachusetts although the beach will be a bit further away! And don't forget to check out Sturbridge Village!

Quilter Kathy said...

You must make time for a little piecing to save your sanity in all this stress of moving! Great plan to look ahead when you start to pine for the past!

Judy said...

Isn't it always so that some of the neatest things go by the wayside on account of money! More money and more money! Gotta develop those last few inches of beachfront property! Our city is seething over our last few drops!

Glad Santa found a good home! I bet you'll have tons of stuff to visit in Mass..Salem at Halloween, to name one!

QuiltedSimple said...

You've been busy! Although I love seeing pictures of people's houses and gardens and how they are decorated - gives me some great ideas. Have a wonderful 4th of July!
Kris

Marilyn R said...

I sure understand about how all work and no quilting can make a quilter crabby! I am looking forward to all of the adventures and discoveries you will make once your move is complete!

KC Quilter said...

Your hexagon diamond stars are coming along beautifully! And love your attitude toward your upcoming move--you'll do fine!

Gwendie said...

For years, I lived in Santa Barbara and never once stopped to see Santa. I didn't move there till I was 18 so, like you, I waved.

I'd be so excited to be moving to the east coast! I've almost always lived on the west one. My daughter (28 in August) is moving to Pittsburgh in Sept just because she wants to. No job waiting or anything secure like that. Ah, the adventure of it all!

Enjoy your move. It will be okay.

Candace said...

I know how you'll miss your Santa, Libby, but it will be something in the back of your mind to always remind you of home.
My husband and I have found so many, many places like the mill in MA on our trips back to visit his family! It seems history abounds and is well preserved in the East! you will never run out of great things to see and do - and we will anxiously await your reports! Even if it isn't about quilting, I always enjoy your posts!
Cheers!

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

Glad you found a little time for your hexagons. The Wayside Inn looks like fun. You'll have to tell us all about it!

Guðrún said...

Are you moving to New England, then you are closer to me and can come and visit!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

It is fun to see your quilt project grow bit by bit. Goes to prove that many wonderful quilts are worked on here and there and not created overnight. Good things are worth the wait!

paulette said...

I love your hexagons-such a lot of work! Can't wait to see the finished product! Happy stitching!
Paulette