Monday, July 06, 2009

Have you ever followed a soap opera? At some point in a storyline, there will be a character who develops a devastating, yet temporary medical condition. Well my friends, over the weekend I may have become my own soap opera character. My condition is not a medical problem. Instead it falls under the real estate realm. You see, I have come down with an acute case of 'Dust-Free OCD' *gasp*
First you should know that I could probably be a little obsessive/compulsive in certain areas of my life if I am not careful. Remember the movie Sleeping With The Enemy? The husband insisted on maintaining a certain, albeit frightening, order to things in the home. One was the striped towels in the bathroom. We had striped bath towels at that time. I noticed how much better they looked on the towel bar when they had been perfectly arranged. Rather that travel down that slippery slope, we purchased all new, plain white towels and removed the towel bar in favor of towel hooks. Those white towels look so much better when casually tossed on a hook.
I think it's a wonderful thing that I enjoy primitive quilts. So much the better for me to NOT always concern myself with perfection in pointy points, on grain plaids or a perfectly straight stripe. Good piecing is not thrown out the window in favor of a casual or naive design, but I don't spend hours frustrating myself over correcting problems that most likely would only be seen with my eye.
So what happened to me this weekend does not come as a total surprise. The 'For Sale' sign went up, the first call for a showing came in, and I got to work. Remember that we have been prepping for the real estate market for some weeks now. It is not as if the place was in a shambles. But I am now compelled to dry out the sink if the next-door-neighbor turns on the tap. It feels as if the feather duster and vacuum cleaner are newly attached appendages.
On Sunday the kitchen floor was mopped - twice! I now shake the footprints out of the bathroom rugs each time I leave. I'm concerned about how the dishes will look inside the cabinets when I remove a plate or two for meals. I'm exhausted!
The good news is that interest in seeing the house was intense. We had 10 inquiries and at least 6 of those came by for a look. I'm hoping to hear some feedback from our realtor today.
We ditched out each time someone was scheduled to come by. Sunday afternoon there were appointments back to back for three hours. Harper and I headed to the local park, took a short walk then we spread out our picnic quilt in the grass so she could people watch while I read a book. I took a picture with my cell phone that has gone to cyberspace oblivion. Harper very kindly posed again for me in our backyard.
Next time we go, I'll bring along the camera to take some photos of the park and it's very lovely rose garden. But for now, I gotta go . . . . I think there's some dust over in that corner.

35 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, Libby, it's a good thing interest is at a fever pitch, surely you could not keep up that high level of OCD cleaning for very long or you would break down or something LOL!! Harper is adorable on her quilt. Best Luck on a sale quite soon :-).

QuiltedSimple said...

Love Harper on the quilt - very pretty! Good luck with the house selling. I'm OCD about some things - but fortunately for me, dust is not one of them.....haha
Kris

Darlene said...

I agree with Karen's comment!

It's all good, Libby, try to relax.

The house (sans any dust) will be sold before you know it.

Julia said...

Oh, Libby, I do hope that the house sells quickly. I am very excited that you have had so many come to look at it already. Don't exhaust yourself keeping up this pace though, take some time to stitch a little and relax!

Harper looks adorable on that quilt! :~)

Wendy said...

I know how you feel, you've done so much work already to get things prefect and you want the viewers to see how clean it is. It will be worth it when you get that first offer. Good luck.
Harper looks so relaxed waiting on the quilt.

Milah said...

I hope you get it sold really quick! You'll wear yourself out if you don't.

The one thing I'm compulsive about is pushing the chairs back into the table after we're done. My husband always leaves them pulled away from the table and I always walk to his side and push it back in! He does not get it! It drives me nuts!

Screen Door said...

I'm so thankful for the interest in your home-- I had no doubts..... I'love the picture of Harper. She will love her new home I just know it.... Sleeping with the enemy is one of my favorite shows. I loved her home. Glad you are breaking all of the habits.

loulee said...

It's only natural that you should want your place to look it's best, especially when trying to make a sale. Good luck with it.

Guðrún said...

There are not many dogs that have a picnic quilt like that, she sure looks like a princess on it.

suz said...

Hopefully someone will make an amazing offer and you'll be able to shake off OCD cleaning! I notice you showed the Longfellow place in the previous entry. If you like that, you'll love places like Sturbridge Village, Louisa May Alcott's house, and the Freedom Trail in Boston, just to name a few. Although it will be hard to leave CA, think of all the new adventures you'll have here!

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

LOL LIBBY!! hehehe
Here's hoping that the house sells quickly and you won't have to chase that dust for long =)
melissa

QUILTILNLG IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Hi Libby--What a beautiful picnic quilt--I want to come have a picnic with you on that quilt and I want Harper to come too!!! Praying your house sells quickly so you can get on with the "other" things in life, and leave those "poor" dust bunnies alone!!! Have a great Day--just, Di

Gwendie said...

I remember the obsessive cleaning when selling a house. There's hope - once the house sells, it passes.

Your story about the towels was priceless!

Karen said...

I have been there & done that. Having your home shown can be a stressful thing. One time in our house hunting endeavors, I opened an oven door at the house we were considering, and it was full of boxes of cereal. Turned me off. I guess you get the impression that there must not be enough storage if you have to keep cereal boxes in the oven.

I hope you get an offer soon.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh dear my friend...do not go too far down that nasty house cleaning road! It takes too much time from quilting! Hopefully the house will sell soon and you can get back to some OCD quilting!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

This is why I'm never moving.

Dianne said...

Oh, Libby, I hope it sells soon..and it sounds like that's on the cards!

Great shot of Harper. Lucky dog!

Judy said...

Well if you miss any dust balls you can fly right on over and do my house with the cat hair added in for good measure!

I like that version of quilt...I would have never thought to alternate the 9 patches with hourglass blocks so they looked like sq in sq blocks! Very cool idea! Nice quilt! Congrats on getting the ball rolling good with the house interest!

~Bren~ said...

Libby, you are a hoot!! I do not like foot prints in the bathroom rugs either!
I LOVE your park quilt!

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

My husband wishes I had your condition -- even a mild case of it! Good luck with selling your house.

Love the quilt on the grass. Harper's too cute!

Shasta said...

That's false advertising, Libby! People think they are buying a perfectly clean house, and then when they move in, bam! they are in for a surprise! The house isn't clean with their stuff in it.
The quilt is beautiful.

Catherine said...

I hope your house sells quickly so that you can relax and not have to deal with the constnat tidying/cleaning -- and hoepfully get over hte compulsion fast!
The quilt is gorgeous -- with Harper on it, it's wonderful!

Candace said...

Hah - this makes me feel so much better about my "keeping up appearances routine for potential buyers", Libby! I do so many of the same things....and more! Sometimes I come back to the house after I drive away thinking that I've left a sponge in the sink!!! Feel free to send some of your lookers this way!
Cheers!

Chocolate Cat said...

Got my fingers crossed that you have a sale very quickly otherwise you may have to rethink your cleaning OCD!!! Harper looked very happy to be out for a play at the park!

Stephanie D. said...

Well, all I can say is I hope the house sells soon or you will waste away to nothingness from all that hyper-vigilance!

Quilts And Pieces said...

OK, maybe you had not visit me! I dread the thought of ever having no dust in this house for a "look-see"!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Good for you Libby to have that much interest right from the get go especially in the economy. I wish for you a quick sale and by the way I totally get what your saying, lol.

Hugs - Karen

yellowfarmhouse said...

Oh BTW again - Harper is adorable as usual and LOVE the quilt :)

Hugs - Karen

Behind My Picket Fence said...

Oh, ouch, I feel your pain. I would like to say that my house is always in a dust-free zone but that would be a very big lie. Good luck with a quick sale.

julieQ said...

Instead of the OCD at your house...come right over to my house and make some real progress!! LOL! I bet you sell quickly, with it looking so good.

Juliann said...

I do hope your place sells in a timely manner so you can get back to making dust with your fabric and thread.

blushing rose said...

Hope you have a quick sale, so you don't get too worn out OCD'g .. chuckle!

TTFN ~Marydon
Pop over for a visit

tracey said...

okay...libby, step AWAY from the feather duster.

;o)

Nicole said...

That is my all time favorite quilt that I have made!

Living Life with a Joyful Heart said...

Hi Libby,
I am a new follower of your blog.I have noticed you live in southern CA that is where I am from, but now I live in CT. I think I read you will moving to Mass., I want to be the first to welcome you,if you need anything or have questions please let me know.
Mary