Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Oh dear, it's time to lose some weight. No, not in order to regain my bikini body - that ship has already sailed. The past two days have found me getting three estimates for the costs to move our household goods to the other side of the country. Boy, are we moving FAR!
To be realistic about the entire situation, we have a very modest sized home by today's standards. We have worked hard over the last weeks to throw away clutter and donate unwanted items. Still while I wait for those estimates to be prepared and delivered, I can only hear the not so dulcet sounds of *cha ching* in my head.
One area of our home where there is room for improvement is the pantry cupboards. I not particularly fond of grocery shopping, so I tend to buy in bulk. Not only does it save trips to the store, but it can often be a money saver, too. It would throw all that economical goodness to the wayside if we paid to ship canned goods some 3,000 miles.
So as a pure cost-saving measure, today I am making spaghetti sauce. Enough to eat for the next couple of days. There will be plenty to put in the freezer, too. It will be a welcome treat after the days of packing that are before us to have a nice home cooked meal even when we are too tired to do so.
Here is my 'Everything-from-the-pantry' creation.
A couple of tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of a heavy pot. Add to that several cloves of minced garlic and allow to begin to soften. Next two onions and three bell peppers roughly chopped. (I like to keep the pieces a little on the big side. They will cook down and soften. But if someone doesn't like them, they are easily picked out.)
Next add 1 lb of ground beef and begin to let it brown. Start adding your favorite seasonings, too. Mine is an ever-changing mixture of what's in the cabinet. Remember, right now I'm trying to use things up.
Once the meat is cooked I add mushrooms. Today I used canned because I need to use them up. However, fresh mushrooms are extra tasty. Now for the tomatoes. On a normal day I would use tomato sauce, a little tomato paste and whole tomatoes. Today I did not have them all in the cupboard. I used all the remaining jars of last year's canned tomatoes - oh how good they smell.
Right now it looks a little on the 'juicy' side. But left to simmer all afternoon it will thicken up a touch. A nice green salad and some garlic bread will make for a fabulous 'weight-loss' feast.

16 comments:

Candace said...

And now it begins, Libby! That sauce looks wonderful -- I'm sure you'll be whipping up a lot of pantry extras in the weeks to come to lighten the load! Wish we could be there to help you eat it all!!
Cheers!

paula, the quilter said...

If there is anything left in the pantry on the last day, donate the canned goods to a food pantry.

paulette said...

This sounds and looks yummy! Must try it! Thanks!
Paulette

Quilt Hollow said...

You've brought back memories of our military moves. The pantry would be down to nothing by the time the packers came. I learned to get creative with our meals and some were very miss matched; but we knew we had to unload the weight. Your sauce looks devine.

Kim said...

I'm taking notes, lol and should be well prepared if I follow your lead. The sauce looks yummy even before simmering. The food shelf idea is perfect for the leftovers.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

That sauce looks to die for...and your star quilt..... absolutely stunning!!!

anareis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carole said...

Oh my.... I had forgotten how well you keep you pantry stocked! MA has some fine stores. You'll have to let me know what part of MA you'll be moving too. I just cannot wait to meet up with you when I visit my inlaws. Perhaps we can have lunch at the tea room next to the Quilted Crow! Enjoy downsizing! ;o)

Marilyn R said...

I would be the one picking out the green peppers! I imagine you are going to be doing a lot of creative cooking in the near future. You may even find some new "keeper" recipes. Hope you share them with us!

Quilt Memories said...

Your spaghetti recipe sounds like mine....A little of this and a little of that....whatever spices I have on hand, and voila, sauce!My family seems to like it very well. Yours looks delish!

Guðrún said...

Ummmmmm, looks tasty.

Judy said...

Well skip the ground beef and you have a deal! Well not really since I got the skip the pasta lecture too last doc visit Monday. But it does look very yummy! Yes, I can see the issue of shipping can goods across the country. I don't keep a lot of can goods really but paper produtct and ziplock bags, now that could take up some room!

Finn said...

Looks yummy to me! And it must smell heavenly *VBS* Congrats to the princess for the "A"!! I understand that math challenge very well. Hugs, Finn

Stephanie D. said...

So, the local food bank is about to enjoy a windfall, is it?

It's amazing what we can part with when we realize how much it will cost to move it. Even yummy, home-canned goodness.

Sweet P said...

Sounds and looks yummy!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh man does that sauce look good! Is princess moving with you guys?