Monday, July 20, 2009

The weekends sure come and go mighty fast these days and things around the house continue to occur at near breakneck speed. This past Saturday and Sunday, I saw and took the opportunity to slow down just a little to catch my breath before the new week brings a fresh round of paperwork, errands and more packing.
I've received a lot of really sweet comments about my positive attitude concerning our move. I really appreciate them because I've tried very hard to find all the good I can in what lies before us. Still do not be fooled, I will miss so very many things about the place that I've called home my whole life. I'll always be a champion of California and all the many wonderful things it has to offer. A little piece of my heart will always be here and I've begun to find ways to take a some of my homeland with me.
Yesterday I conducted a little on-line retail therapy. Soon a baseball jersey will arrive at my door step printed with this sentiment. Lompoc is my hometown (pronounced Lahm-poke) and was once known as the Flower Capital of the World for growing seeds for flowers. Fields and fields of flowers, in some places as far as the eye can see. The scent from a bouquet of sweet peas just sends me over the moon - it smells like home.
I've had a tattoo on my ankle for years that depicts sweet peas - my favorite flower and The Princess' birthday flower. Last week I had some California poppies added to the design.
I know that tattoos are not every one's cuppa, but for me this one feels just right. I have a few more 'souvenir' type things to pick up. Hoodie sweatshirts of some of my favorite places will be at the heart of my winter wardrobe. Oh, I know they won't constitute my outerwear once I get to New England, but they will surely be a good part of the layered dressing I'm going to have to master.
While chatting on the phone with a friend yesterday afternoon, The Princess came into the room all smiles and bearing this sign:
With only one week to go in the summer term, I'm anticipating a celebratory Math Grade Dinner in my future.
Out in the garden, I spied this little fella poking up from the soil.I had no idea what to expect when I planted my little potato pieces in the spring, but I sure am glad to have the chance to harvest one before I turn over the garden.
On the quilting front, I set the hexagons aside long enough to just do something a little different. I dug through my reserve stash of projects and pulled out a punch needle pattern.

It has been a long time since I've done this. I had nearly forgotten how quick and satisfying they are to work on. Once the punching is done, I'll treat it with some Distress It. Then I'll go back to the hexagons refreshed and renewed.

27 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Bless you, I know this is hard. Oh, yes... I know.

Stina said...

Oh Libby.. I hope you will find lovely things at your new home.. and Im sure you will too.. :o)
Love the punch needle sheep!!! :o))

Catherine said...

I think taking some souvenirs with you like the hooded sweatshirts and the baseball jersey is brilliant -- and you'll appreciate the warmth! The link to your hometown flower pictures is amazing! What a gorgeous sight!

Candace said...

How neat that you're making a special effort to take a little bit of home with you, Libby! Love the punch needle - they really are fun!
Cheers!

paula, the quilter said...

How hard this must be for you! My family moved about every 3 years when I was a child because we were military. But I have been in the same house now for 32 years and it would be hard for me to uproot and move away now. Keep your chin up and show those east coast girls what a California Girl is all about!

Screen Door said...

Remember the Beach Boys song-- 'Wish they all could be California Girls'.... You'll always be one... Great Tater! Every time the Princess makes that A, tell her it's in the DNA and you expect nothing less (Taken after Your side of the family!!) !!!*S* I need to get posting....

Marilyn R said...

Your Americana Lamb is adorable! Keep up the positive outlook on the move. Think of the adventures that you will soon have - finding the perfect place to live, new restaurants to fine, new quilts stores to find, new parks to rome and oh the list can go on and on!

Kim said...

Busy girl you have been. Not long at all before Autumn will be dazzling you with it's beauty and you will be hearing the sound of new accents in conversation. I wonder how long it will take for you to pick that up. When in CA, folks comment on my strong MN Accent...and I am thinking what accent?! Punch needle job is cute! I have an ongoing needle project that keeps my knitting company.

Beth said...

Love your tat! I am a tat girl, I know that they aren't for everyone, but they are fun. I love yours!

Chocolate Cat said...

Having done a lot of moving in the last 20 years I have vowed to never move again!!!! Its the packing and unpacking I hate. The positive frame of mind is what makes it all exciting and okay. It is a new adventure. What a great piece of punch needle work - very cute sheep!!! Cute tatoo too!

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Hi Libby!
I love that you added "california" flowers to your tatoo! Good for you, who say's "you can't take it with you?"

That's a very nice sized Spud you have there. Just right for a baked potatoe.
Grats to you smart daughter on her A!!!
Melissa

Karen said...

I have not mastered punch needle. Only tried it once and I kept pulling the threads out. Now they won't stay in. I have a couple other kits to do. I just haven't tried it again.

Mmmm! I didn't know you were a tattoo person. You could put that in one of those things where you have to tell things about yourself. It is a very innocent tattoo and a good memory for you.

Sherry said...

I love your positive attitude. What a great idea to snatch up some hoodies & such to take with you to the east coast. Congrats to the Princess on her "A"! Personally I love tats & think it's neat you added to the one you already had...it looks pretty good to me. :) Hang in there. I'm sure there are many fun adventures ahead for you & DH.

WoolenSails said...

Moving is hard, especially when you love where you live. My husband wants to relocate too, but only to maine, so that I can handle, so will see.

My daughter hated math in high school and then in college got good at it, go figure;)

Debbie

kjquilts said...

That is too cute! Will you frame it or make a pillow or what? I love it! Or, as the Tootie Babies say, "Yub it Nana!"

AnnieO said...

I told my kids I made that skin and I didn't want them marking it up, but the older two went ahead over my objections, LOL! Yours is a sweet permanent souvenir. Love your little punch needle project--I have often wished to try that but need another obsession like a hole in the head. Keep up the positive thoughts!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

YOu certainly are keeping a good face about this.... I think we have moved/lived in 15 different cities since we married 35 years ago... maybe it gets easier with every move..but there always seems to be something good about the next town down the road. I hope you find it too!

tracey said...

congrats to princess!! i've got my math final coming up next monday.

i can't imagine how tough this move is on you, but i do know, without a doubt, that you will make the best of it. you truly inspire me with your ability to do that, libby. hang in there!

tracey

Eileen said...

Libby, I know whaere you are coming from since I was born in California and dearly love it and Oh, your talking about the flowers. In the east you will be able to have fun getting to know what to plant and all the different fowers to grow and love. Good Luck in your big move.

Stephanie D. said...

Maybe some day you can both retire back to California--and near your home town. In the meantime, I can appreciate the difficulty in moving to entirely different weather and different accents--and different foods! What an adventure this will be!

I bought the supplies to start needlepunch last summer and just have never sat down and taught myself to do it yet. And I don't think it will happen until after Halloween, but it looked like so much fun.

Your tatoo is one of the prettiest I've seen--so tasteful.

Judy said...

I love to watch the tattoo shows and see the detail they can get, but I doubt I'd have the stomach for the pain, especially the harder ankle bone. It looks very cool and colorful! I love the pin-up girl tatto's some get.

You know, the move is what it is.You do what you have to do. Worry isn't going to change anything and you have a great attitude..here's the deal, now we work with it.

I thought immediately after reading, Libby has to buy a big winter coat! I hate coats, hoodies will work great!

Lea said...

Libby, I adore your positive attitude. Even we never met, I always feel that you're my role model as a Marine wife. :-)

speaking about a tattoo, I have a tattoo on my ankle too!
Thank you for sharing the special story and meaning of your tattoo. I think it's very beautiful.:-)

Guðrún said...

I love your tattoo, I have wanted one myself for years but I am not brave enough. It is a very long way between your new home to be and California, it must be very hard especially if your family lives in California.

Janet said...

The sheep are cute and as for the tatoo, yup I have a bee on my ankle, never told my mother for years and then said it was a stick on and she should see my sisiters, lol. I was in my 40's.

Finn said...

Dear, dear Libby *VBS*, wish I had known way back when, what you've become so aware of. One doesn't need a sentimental journey to take one home, it's possible to take home with you. Can't wait until you see those first gray snow clouds on the horizon and the first flakes falling on your face *VBS* Even after 60 years, it's still special...the first snow.
It's a new adventure, but reinforced with pieces of your life. Way to go!! You rock! Hugs, Finn

Brenda said...

Like your tatto, have been tempted to get one but never have.

Angel said...

Hi Libby - I've commented on your blog a couple of times before. I really enjoy it. My grandparents have lived in Lompoc for over 45 years. I grew up in Garden Grove. I've seen it change in many ways but I still love. I was there last year for a bittersweet Thanksgiving. It was nice to be home. Thank you for putting up the proper proununciation. Good luck on your move. I live in New York now and the East Coast is great too.