Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Things are settling into a routine here at The Bachelor Pad. I finally got all the pictures from the drive off the computer and somewhat organized. We really did cover a lot of country and every place has its own very distinct look.
Utah had the most interesting rock formations.
These mesas were all lined up looking a little like ships pulled into port.
Our views changed dramatically as we gained elevation in Colorado. This is the countryside I could look at forever.
Soon enough we were out of the high country and headed toward the plains. I'm already looking forward to having a windmill in our new garden.We traveled with our very own 'breakfast bar.'
Every morning, we bellied up to the bar over a biscuit and coffee, chatting about how far we would drive and what we might see that day.
In Ogallala, NE we stopped to visit the Pony Express Station Museum.And also the Sod House Museum.I'll save the second half of the country for next time.
I've quickly realized I'm going to be learning my way around here for a good bit of time. Some days I'm not even sure I know which way is up. Over the weekend, Hubby and I took several exploratory trips out and about. While visiting one of the home improvement centers, I picked up some paint chips.
I don't want to just run out and get the exact same shades we had in the old house. Still it's easy to see that we like what we like - looks like we won't be straying too far.
On my first solo trip, I picked up a handful of magazines to get some decorating ideas.
While it was hard to leave behind some of the things we had done in our California home, we will be starting with a blank slate once again. I can hardly wait to get started.
In the meantime, I'm going to make some time for needle and thread today. I think I'll work on a diamond or two for the Martha Washington's Flower Garden.
Poor Martha has been neglected for far too long.

27 comments:

paula, the quilter said...

Looks like you were merging back onto I-70 around Vail? Beaver Creek? How serendipitous: the word verification is 'chips'.

Rosemary said...

Yummy colors Libby in that quilt you are working on! Have yall found a house yet?

Catherine said...

Thank you for sharing those photos of your cross-country trek! They're facinating -- love the one of the "ships" lined up.
A diamond or two sounds like a great way to relax for a few hours.
Seeing those paint chips and decorating magazines -- hmm, new house found yet?

Beth said...

How fun on your new housing adventure! I love your paint chip choices, one of them looks a lot like the color we painted in our family room. I envy you your road trip, I love road trips. We are going to try again this year to make it back to Iowa to visit family.

Carin said...

I love the colors you picked out! Utah has a lot of very interesting rock formations. Southern Utah is full of red rock, sand stone and mesa's and Northern Utah is all rocky mountians and granite.

Enjoy this new adventure.

Candace said...

I was going to say that looks like outside of Grand Junction - Paula says Vail area! OK - which is it, Libby? Love your paint chips - how fun to be totally redecorating your new house! Hope you get out of the bachelor digs soon!
Cheers!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What an exciting time for you...blank canvas and all that. I'm curious...did your travels take you to any quilt shops? If it had been me I'd have planned the route around them LOL

Quilt Hollow said...

Not a mention of Harper and how he is getting along now? Where was he under the breakfast bar? LOL How fun to start with a new slate but you know what you like and if it were same paint colors...well, you know what you like!

Judy H. said...

I remember going to those two museums when I was a kid! Wow, that was... um... a while ago! 25+ years, I think?

I hope you're enjoying your new home!

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh lovely, I just loved the shots of your first half of the cross country trip. Is this a gorgeous country or what??

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

So sorry about the hot weather here. Honest, it's not usually hot like this I promise. September will arrive and the colors will start to change and you'll think you're in heaven. Although, I lived in Colorado for 4 years and I was pretty sure that was heaven.

Karen said...

Do you remember Chevy Chase in "Vacation" wanting to go see the largest ball of string on their trip west?

AnnieO said...

What a wonderful and varied country we have---so nice to see that affirmed with your own eyes, right? I can see you're eager to get your personality imprinted on your new place since you had to erase it from the old!

quiltmom said...

Hi Libby,
It is interesting to see the changes in the topography across the US. Utah reminds me a little of the area around Drumheller, Alberta and Cyrus Hills, Saskatchewan which are the land of the Hoo Doos. It is an amazing area of the province- You go over the crest of the hill and end up in the valley with these most fascinating structures that look like Cat in the Hat hats with strata.
Happy decorating - I am sure your new digs will be beautiful..
Your quilt is going to be stunning.
You talk about the bachelor pad. Does this mean you are still looking for a new place to live?
Regards,
Anna

QUILTILNLG IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

HI Libby--I have been behind in reading your blog site--oh my--you are now here on the east coast--we are now "neighbors" sort of!!!! Love the pictures of your trip and the ones of Harper's trip--how cute!!
Take care--enjoy the hunt for all the new places to call home--hugs,just Di

Judy said...

You'll get the hang of it soon. I traveled to Chicago once and wow is that land flat out in the middle of the country!

Hey I meant to ask you if you removed the little ball o'soap from the redone bathroom before selling? It's so special I figured you'd replace it with a normal one and keep it.

Finn said...

What a grand adventure you are having *VBS* It's fun to read about all your thoughts and preparations. Have a peaceful stitching time. Hugs, Finn

Carol said...

Thank you so much for taking us along on your trip...what great pictures. Love the paint chips.

QuiltedSimple said...

What great photos - thank you for the journey!
Kris

Carole said...

Welcome to New England Libby! You must find it different from CA. Your trips sounds delightful! I'm glad you took the opportunity to do some visiting. Enjoy decorating your new bachelor pad! ;O) Cheers!

Guðrún said...

Thanks for sharing. Have you found any quilt shops?

WoolenSails said...

Libby,
Welcome to New England. Just in time for our first hurricane of the year;) LOL

Debbie

Quilter Kathy said...

Glad you have a little time for stitching. What an exciting adventure you are having! Love the paint chips you organized for your next quilt, er, I mean painting your house!

dee said...

Love the travelog-thanks!
Boy, Martha's garden is going to be so beautiful. Bet you can't wait to get settled and dig in!

Marilyn R said...

I've been to the Sod House Museum and Pony Express Museum too - but it has been a long time. I don't remember the barbed wire Indian, so guess it has been a loooong time!

Stephanie D. said...

Great pictures! How many quilt shops did you talk hubby into stopping at along the way?

paulette said...

Your move sounds very exciting-and to start from a blank slate sounds even more fun!! Happy stitching!
Paulette