Sunday, October 11, 2009

Today's tip from A Simple Girl: Always check your Spam Mailbox - sometimes you might just find a very nice thing. It happened for me last week when I found an email with the title 'Quilted Crow.' I opened it to find an invitation from a gal that follows my blog in Australia, Linda (no blog.) She is traveling in the States with two friends Bev and Sandra (also no blogs) and would be visiting The Quilted Crow on Thursday.
Our date was a little touch-and-go while coordinating those appliance deliveries, but I was able to work it out. I'm so glad I did. What a fun time. The four of us were the only shoppers there. We combed over that entire shop and each of us left with a nice package of fabrics, wools and patterns to show for our effort.
The little tea shop next to the quilt shop was closed. We were given directions to Nancy's Airfield Cafe just down the road. We enjoyed a delicious lunch, chatted with Nancy herself before we had to say our goodbyes. I've made new friends, explored some new places and enhanced my stash all because I checked that Spam box.
Today Hubby and I took a trip in the other direction to visit Old Sturbridge Village. We had planned the trip for last weekend but got rained out. We didn't explore too deeply today - just worked on getting a lay of the land. After carefully reading the website, we already know we want to go back to take some of the classes they offer such as blacksmithing, basket weaving, vermiculture, etc. And yes, they do carry Old Sturbridge Village fabric from Marcus Brothers in the gift shop. Instead of fabric, I added to my collection of ABC books.
The bookshop there was very nice and I could have easily chosen several more books. But I'll save them for another time.
When we got home, I realized that we did not take a single picture on our little jaunt. Shame on me. The fall colors are just stunning right now - particularly to a couple of California kids. I guess we were too mesmerized by the colors to remember to pull out the camera. So instead I'll share what is beginning to happen in our very own yard. This tree is right outside our backdoor.
It's just starting to show some yellow and orange at the very top. I wonder what it will look like in another week?

22 comments:

Patchy said...

Hi Libby, I have been reading your blog as well for over a yr. and I too have no blog LOL. Anyway can you imagine yourself landing a quilt teaching job at Sturbridge Village , a few classes ? I can !!!

LyndaG said...

Thanks for the reminder regarding the spam folder -- just found several emails that should not have gone there. You should head toward Lowell to the New England Quilt Museum - interesting quilts and a great museum store. If you like primitives, another destinaton should be Cottage Herbs in North Berwick, Maine. Isn't the Airport Cafe just great!

Quilt Hollow said...

It is fun seeing some first through your eyes as I'd been there myself with the changing colors of the leaves and having lived in CA for years. It just keeps getting better and better.

Julie in the Barn said...

Oh, Libby, I am so jealous! Meeting more bloggers, such fun! And Sturbridge Village is on my to do list when I finally make it to Mass. Next time remember the camera, please! The leaves up here are starting to turn, too. Miss you...

Colleen said...

Glad you had some nice outings! I hope things are starting to feel like home for you :o)

Lindah said...

How nice! Your outing with the Aussie friends sounds lovely.
Your mention of Sturbridge village brought back happy memories of many years ago...Having recently relocated from home state CA to VA, we took a plane to Boston where we planned to meet friends for a fall color tour. Being quite pregnant and prone to air sickness anyway, I made frequent use of the little brown bags and felt miserable and embarrassed. Seated next to us was Dean of the Diplomatic Corp Sevilla-Sacasa who was so kind, being the father of many children. On the ground again, we enjoyed the fall colors. I could have spent much more time at Sturbridge. For a history buff, it was fascinating.
Do return and enjoy all Sturbridge has to offer. No doubt it has been greatly enhanced since we were there.

WoolenSails said...

Hard to walk out of the quilted crow, without a bag of goodies;) The ladies there are so nice too, and will go out of their way to help you.

Great time of year to hit Sturbridge Village with the trees starting to change. Do you get the Simple Folk newsletters? They send a list of all the shows going on in New England and there are a lot in your area.

Debbie

Lori said...

An outing with quilters is always a good day! It looks like you got some fun goodies too!

Karen said...

We visited Old Sturbridge Village several years ago. A very interesting place. Nice that you live close enough to take advantage of visiting when you want.
And how neat that you got to meet some fellow bloggers. Couldn't be better meeting at a quilt shop!

Shakerwood Primitives said...

How wonderful to meet new people through the internet! I have always wanted to go to Sturbridge Village. Some day...... I'm just going to take a whole month to visit all the places on my Bucket List!

Judy said...

Our leaves have finally started turning now too and they usually hit the big color pop around the 3rd and 4th week of October!

AnnieO said...

After some "upgrade" or something, my spam folder wasn't visible on my sign in screen so I don't know how many messages I missed as they disappear after 30 days and I hadn't checked it for months! Glad you found yours with such an adventure waiting. Love the fabrics and the tale.

Jenny McH said...

Hi, I have been a lurker for some time, but I had to comment on your meeting with the Aussie ladies. I am from Melbourne, Australia and was wondering if Linda is Linda C from Melbourne and I am fairly sure that the Linda I have meet has a friend named Bev. If it is the same Linda she has a very generous nature and recently had a small quilt exhition in her 'American Barn' to raise funds for Breast Cancer research. If it is the same Linda it makes for a small world to read of her holiday trip on your blog. Sounds like you all had a wonderful time.
I love your photos of your quilts and enjoy following the progress of your current projects. PS. I don't have a blog either. from Jenny Mch

Julia said...

How fun! I would love to meet some of my blogging buddies, you being at the top of the list!
Oh my goodness, Old Sturbrige Village! You lucky girl! I would love to go there!

suz said...

Glad to see you are enjoying our lovely New England fall! The Quilted Crow is a wonderful place. I too would highly recommend the Lowell Museum. Keep you eye out for the quilt show in Nashua, NH in November (just up Route 3)- A Quilters Gathering - 11/5-8 at the Radisson - it's a great show.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Love the little books...and the house is coming along very nicely. Hope to post about Houston Quilt Market in next day or so. can't wait to see what you do next.

StitchinByTheLake said...

We are just barely seeing a peek of color in Arkansas but it's been so wet this year we've been threatening to build an ark so I think the leaves will be perfect in another couple of weeks. blessings, marlene (I came here from Milah's Back Porch)

beth said...

I enjoyed your post. I'm from southern calif. and when we visited the historic places back east a few years ago we ended up at sturbridge village...it was delightful. I could have spent a lot more time there. Have fun with your visits there!

The Quilt Buddy said...

I am so glad that you checked your spam folder! It is always great when you can put a face to the kindred spirits out there in blogland. Someday we will get to meet each other!

XOXO!

Wendy said...

Thanks for the reminder, sometimes I forget to look for weeks.
How fun to meet some new friends so far away.
The changing of the seasons is always a spectacular sight. I love this time of year.

QuiltedSimple said...

what fun! and what great fabrics you have now.
Kris

Quilts And Pieces said...

Just send that green plaid at the back left to me girly! I"ve had my friend from Australia here for just over a week now. Thurs we all head down to OK for the wedding! It has been so much fun spending time with her family! Now to convince Mark to let me go there!!!!