Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Does it seem like I'm rushing the season just a little?
It's really more of an - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em attitude. We have 8 boxes of 'stuff' that won't be unpacked until after the first of the year when we do a remodel of the kitchen. Right now the cabinets are stuffed to the gills with pots and pans spilling into the laundry room. So rather than look at cardboard boxes for 2 or 3 more months, I decided to use them as holiday props. The rest of the Christmas decorating won't happen until after Thanksgiving. But these boxes are sure a lot more pleasing to look at disguised as gifts.
Rest assured that fall is still all around us. Harper and I took the camera on our walk to the Common one day last week. Our town had sponsored a scarecrow building event. They provided the frame and stuffin' and you provide the head and clothes. Here is a collage of just a few, everything from traditional, to youthful, to political. They'll be on display through this week. I hope next year Hubby and I will be able to build one, too.
Back on the home front, look what I spied out the kitchen window!
He seems to be giving me 'the eye.' I will say that the New England cousin of my California nemesis is a whole lot cuter and much less mangy looking. Maybe that means they can easily sustain themselves without making a salad bar out of my garden. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

23 comments:

Lori said...

The scarecrows are so fun!! The common is gorgeous in all its fall color!!!
Great idea with the "gift" boxes!

dee said...

You do crack me up. We feed the squirrels cracked corn and throw a handful of seed on the ground with it so they eat with the birds. They don't seem interested in the tomato plants but they do love the bulbs and move them around so that each spring is a surprise.

Milah said...

Your boxes reminds me of the saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." Pretty clever idea.

Stephanie D. said...

Oh, look at your common! With a gazebo, too!

Yeah, I think the squirrels are pretty cute, even though they can be pesky at times. I'll bet in a year or so, you'll be feeding them. hehehe

LOVE your new header!

Shakerwood Primitives said...

Pretty dang smart if you ask me! Love the scarecrow ideas. Not much of a SpongeBob person but I think I like him the best.

Kim said...

Pretty header photo! The squirrels usually don't bother veggie gardens, at least not around here. They do make trouble with the flower bulbs though. Dang critters! Lol. Autumn is still looking pretty in your home town.

The gift wrapped boxes are a fun idea, good plan. The scarecrow building day sounds like a lot of fun to me. Mark your calendar for next year's event!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

The squirrels won't bother your garden but if you have bunnies, they will. And look out for ground hogs who can wipe out a garden in one night. We had a problem a few years back but since then it has been ok. The worst is grandsons who love to pick the pretty red round things before they are ready to be picked!

Julia said...

Oh no the squirrels found you! LOL Harper will be on patrol, so you have nothing to worry about! :~)

*°º¤♥-=|F®äñ|=-♥*°º¤ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carol said...

OMG I think he must have taken the express train and joined you in MA.

Beth said...

What a clever idea! I guess as long as there's nothing in any of them that you need. lol Your fall colors are gorgeous. You're not missing the 90's temps we are still having in SoCal I'm sure.

Quilt Hollow said...

OMG...your cracking me up...oh yes, the squirrel...he is pacing the joint to find out just what the heck he is up against. He hasn't a clue!
Oh Libby..you would just die to see how many live around me...I'm so afraid I'm going to hit one on the road.

Quilter Kathy said...

Very creative use of storage boxes!!

sewprimitive karen said...

Maybe the squirrel was riding on the roof of your car :-).

kjquilts said...

Libby, I so enjoy your photos of fall in the northeast! Love your boxes, can't wait to see the kitchen renovation!

Guðrún said...

Squirrels where ever you go :) Your "decorations" are great.

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I love the Christmas package disguise idea. Very smart, and it looks good too. The scarecrows are so cute. I wish we had "commons" here in California.
Blessings,
Marcia

AnnieO said...

Do squirrels migrate? That would be a pretty long trip, LOL! But he looks pretty cute up there on the branch, at least. I like the scarecrow building, that's a fun idea, nice that you are thinking of joining in next time.

Kelly Ann said...

When I moved to New Hampshire I was told you can tell how bad the winter was going to be by the bushieness of the squirrels tail...well compared to the squirrels from North Carolina the New England squirrels had hugh tails...and bushy...so guess time will tell if you're winter will be bad or not..but I'll tell you one things for sure...you'll get snow and lots of it...

The Quilt Buddy said...

What a great idea to disguise those boxes! Before you know it you will be opening them up and putting them away for real!

Watch out for those squirrels!

Enjoy your week.

WoolenSails said...

What a fun neighborhood you have. I have never had problems with animals in my garden, I get a lot of bugs though.

Debbie

Jenny McH said...

Love the header with the beautiful acorn. I have hardly thought of Christmas, the end of year is coming around too fast!

Sweet P said...

What a great idea for the gift boxes! I bet when you open them it will feel like Christmas.