Saturday, November 07, 2009

Painting. Just when you thought that all the painting was complete, out come the rollers and brushes once again. Our goal is to have all painting done by Thanksgiving. A quick glance at the calendar will tell you we'd better get a move on!
I spent Thursday and Friday applying coats to the downstairs hallway. Why two days on such a small space? Because our original color choice just didn't work. What was a nice creamy neutral on the chip and in the can turned into a pale sunshine yellow on the walls. A great color, but better suited for a bedroom than a transition area.
This new color is called English Tan. As soon as it started going on the walls, I knew I was going to like it. Back to Home Depot I'll go for more. It's going in the hallway upstairs, the stair case and the kitchen, too.
A quick look out the back door will tell you that fall has fell. Almost all of our beautiful fall colors have now dropped to the ground. The neighborhood is abuzz with all manner of leaf taming equipment today. It's fun to see just how each family copes with the piles and piles of leaves.
In the mailbox, I got a package from my favorite quilt shop. This bundle of fat quarters represents each the different colors available from the Aged Muslin line from Marcus Brothers.
I want to make some window coverings for our family room, but didn't want to pick my fabric sight unseen. The good news is I now know which shade I want. I'll place my order this week and ask for a piece from one of the other choices to add to my stash.
Ordering muslin only didn't seem like fun. So I asked for a bundle of the brushed cottons from the new Brannock/Patek line Blessings be included. Funny how I had no problem deciding on that sight unseen.
I've not got a project in mind. I'll add them to the stash. Just the right thing is sure to come along. When it does - I'll be ready.

23 comments:

Quilt Hollow said...

Your paint colors (all of them) are very similiar to what is in my own home. They give my home warmth and feels comforting. I bet this is how your feeling as the new colors are going up. Before long most work will be finished and you can just sit back and be comfy cozy in your new nest.

alda said...

sounds like you've been very busy painting ;-))
hm, never seen aged muslin before, I would keep my eyes open .

A Quilter Awakens said...

Thank you for telling about the aged muslin line from Marcus. Don't you love them? On my must purchase list, for sure! And when I visit mother over the holidays, I have got to get some of that brushed cotton! Karmen (Brannock)

Karen said...

I like the bundle of brushed plaids better than the muslins. LOL! That was an easy choice.

Julie in the Barn said...

I made the same mistake on our stairwell walls. It turned out waayy too yellow. But....the 2&1/2 stories high wall is not a do-it-yourself project for me so yellow it remains for now. I noticed your picture of California Poppies on the wall by the bookcase. A little touch of home.

Sweet P said...

I like the color of your walls. It is a good transition color. I also love the photo in your header. It's a great fall photo.

WoolenSails said...

I really like the English tan, will have to look for it in the store. I need to paint my hallway, so that might be the perfect shade.

Love the new fabrics. I might head up to maine for a few days, so I will have to stop by the quilted crow and check out the new fabrics.

Debbie

Kathie said...

the paint color is perfect in mho!
I love when you find the right color, and yes I have the same color in our foyer, hallway, sewing room and will probably paint the LR and DR the same color too
I just love it
the muslins look great, I still need to do a quilt using one of these as the background
Kathie

Juliann said...

I love that blessings line - I am trying to finish up my quilt that I am making with a jelly roll and will be buying a piece of the line for the border. Great colors.

Kim said...

Good idea to order up that aged muslin, doubt you will have any trouble putting it all to good use. And the fat quarter bundle. YUM!

The paint color is perfect, glad it makes you happy. I have a gallon of yellow that was intended for the front hall/foyer. Have yet to paint it on the walls and now I think I have changed my mind about the yellow. You saved me a lot of time and work. Thanks!

I like the quilt you hung in the hall by your stairs.

paulette said...

I;m drooling over the plaid flannels and muslin...lovely!
Paulette

stitchinpenny said...

Love your header picture. The color in your hallway is great.

Stephanie D. said...

I really like that leaf garland you have on the staircase bannister! Very pretty!

My colors are different; I'm not so much into muddied colors, though some muted ones appeal to me. But that hallway color is close to the bathroom color I chose and I plan to (someday) paint the master bedroom a darker shade of the bathroom color. It's probably a little more dull gold than yours, but very close.

Janet said...

Good idea to change the colour now and not leave it, you might not get around to it since you must be sick of the painting by now. I love the look of the muslins, what a good idea to get the samples.

Guðrún said...

I love your new bundle of brushed plaids. Here we don´t have to worry about the leaves, they are blown away by the wind :)

Stina said...

Love your new plaids... have been looking at them too.. so thanks for showing them...
Good luck into finishing your home !! :o)

AnnieO said...

I have been considering repainting our living areas a similar shade--some sort of medium tan. It sure looks nice in your house. Right now I have a medium terracotta that has been up for over 10 years and I'm ready to change. Unfortunately, it's a lot of work because of an open stairwell and upper hall that are all continuous to the living/dining room...no easy place to stop the paint color! Love all your fabric choices, they are very warm and homey.

julieQ said...

I love your painting...it makes things so fresh and new. When you are done, come on over, and help me!! Seriously, I love the plaids, and bought a similar bundle recently...I love the possibilities!!

Loris said...

I love seeing your house come together. Even from the picture, that color looks perfect. I love the quilt hanging on the wall too :-)
Those plaid fabrics look very enticing. May have to look further into that pack myself.
Thanks for sharing your house pics.
From back on the other coast,
Loris

Chocolate Cat said...

Gosh you have been busy! Never hurts to have a little something extra in the stash just waiting for that project that needs to be started immediately!!

anne bebbington said...

Lovely fabrics Libby and I just adore that wallhanging - mmmmmm more inspiration for a four block quilt maybe?

Quilter Kathy said...

The beautiful fall colours are on the ground here too.
Love those plaids!

QuiltedSimple said...

painting is never done. Love the fabrics = very pretty.
Kris