Saturday, December 19, 2009

Have you had time to refresh yourself before the party starts? The central part of my trip was to attend the annual Christmas party with my Quilt Pals. You might remember when I was stitching away on signature blocks that were to be swapped at the party this year. I got my name stitched on all 15 just a couple of days before I headed west *whew*
As everyone arrived, they dropped their blocks off on the table for swapping later - first we had to eat! Dinner was from Pat and Oscars. If you ever get the chance to eat there, please do not skip out on the bread sticks. Chatting, laughing and catching up was the order of the day.
Soon enough it was time to swap those blocks, which we accomplished 'ring around the rosie' style - take a block from the pile in front of you and move to the right. When you reach your original position, you have one block from everyone. But wait - as I was looking through my stack of blocks admiring fabric, they were suddenly taken from me. A pronouncement that since I'm not, technically, part of the group any more - I shouldn't get to keep the blocks.
As quickly as I was ready to put on a pout and start to protest, out came a bag.
Seems I didn't need my stack of blocks because they had already finished the quilt for me. A block from each Quilt Pal - all pieced, quilted and bound. Suddenly that pout quickly disappeared - the best gift from the best Quilt Pals around! I slept under it that very night and keep it near now that I'm home.
Before the evening was over, I was slipped another little goody. No not leftovers.
A selection of threads by Aurifil.
Every year we close out the party with a much anticipated gift from our Fearless Leader aka Sweet Hostess.

Isn't it darling? A big impact in an 8" mini quilt! It was hard to say goodnight when it was time for the party to end, but surely there will be a way to get the whole group together again in the not too distant future.
As a matter of fact, some did just that the very next day. This time we headed north to Orange county to a furniture dealer with some really great, one of a kind pieces. Sadly, none of it would have fit in the overhead compartment of the plane. So no purchases there for me. But we did manage to find a nice place for lunch. One last stop to check out an antique shop, where I did find a couple of things that could fit in my carry on and round out my collection.
In the end, I shipped the bowls home because I just couldn't let that signature quilt out of my hands.
Back on the road with just enough time to freshen up again. Another party to attend - the Fat Quarters Quilt Shop party. Sweet Hostess was able to secure a special invite for me. You can color me flattered. It was fun to chat it up with all the gals that work at the shop. While I was never an employee, I have been a loyal customer there from the beginning. Michelle, the owner, even surprised me with a gift.Where in the world did she find time to make gifts all while running the shop and planning and prepping for the party?
All too soon it was Friday morning. One last get together for breakfast.
Some fresh tortillas slipped into my tote from a Quilt Pal as a treat for Hubby before I got on the plane bound eastward. A whirlwind five days filled with non-stop fun. I can hardly wait to do it all again. Whether it's west coast or east coast, makes no difference - as long as we plan it soon.

17 comments:

Finn said...

Sounds such an incredible time with good friends that never let you down. It's like that song "Button and Bows"..."those dear heart and gentle people who never ever let you down".
I love reading all the posts about your journey, many good memories and goodies to back them up..doesn't get much better. Love you little quilt gifts, so neat! Happy Holidays in the land of Frosty, Finn

Karen said...

Sounds like you cleaned up on the goodies, for sure! What a wonderful surprise to get a quilt instead of the blocks. And all the other gifts. I know you had a wonderful time and got to eat lots of Mexican food!

Yvonne said...

You sure are loved and it's no surprise to me. :)
Are you ready for the big snow....has the Princess thawed out yet?

WoolenSails said...

Wow, the girls sure were sweet to do that for you and all of the other gifts. They have so much meaning when they are made by friends.

Debbie

Julie Isa said...

Now I'm really bummed. I missed the quilt shop party due to car trouble and the opportunity to meet you in person. I love those white dove make-do's. Michelle out did herself. Merry Christmas!

Guðrún said...

What a great trip you had. How sweet of the girls to make the quilt for you!

Stina said...

Oh Libby... the quilt is wonderful...and I love how the girls tricked you... really love it..lol...nothing better to really surprise someone like that..;o)
Love the little mini quilt to.. too cute...
You seem to have had a wonderful California trip.. and finally I have to say... that bird.. wow.. it is "THE BIRD"!! LOVE IT!!! :o)

Carol said...

OH Libby, what an absolutely wonderful, wonderful trip. That quilt is beautiful, truly a treasure.

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Libby it looks like you just had the BEST time ever!! How wonderful to have so many friends that share your love of quilting. Your signature quilt is amazing~!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Melissa

Lori said...

Ah, what a great time with quilting friends. The quilt they made is so beautiful! What a treasure!!

Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Oh what good friends you have! This is a real treasure...it would have been a gorgeous quilt without all of the signatures, but now what an amazing legacy to your quilting history!!! I love it! ;)

Darlene said...

What a wonderful time - so many memories to bring a smile to your face for a very long time.

sewprimitive karen said...

oo love the bird-gift, how pretty.

Judy in Michigan said...

Libby I loved your story about the signature blocks - I had a tear in my eye when they took your blocks away and presented you with a finished quilt - aren't quilting friends the best? Happy Holidays to you and your family. Thank you for entertaining and inspiring me with your blog.

Chocolate Cat said...

What a treasure that quilt is to keep you warm this winter. Your trip sounds just wonderful. Enjoy your time with the Princess.

Wendy said...

What sweet friends you have to surprise you with the signature quilt all completed. Love the little mini too. Have a great holiday season.

Carole said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! Lovely goodies you received! Cheers!