Friday, December 04, 2009

Just when life began to feel like it was regaining its routine, I turned around and saw that Christmas will be upon us in the blink of an eye. No rest for the weary, I suppose. Hubby and I spent the weekend decking the halls all to a nice effect, if I do say so myself. Finding new places to display our traditional holiday decorations has done much to make this house feel more like our home. I can honestly say that it is a huge relief!
That feeling hasn't reached everyone just yet.
Harper does not care for 'The Great Tile Divide' - she'll walk on it, cross over it and even run on it; but she'll not tarry. She must always be moving. You can see the corner of one of several area rugs we have placed strategically like little islands to give her a place to rest and be near us and a part of any action happening in the dread region. When we do the kitchen remodel next month, the tile is a goner. Everyone will be happy about that.
I've not done any holiday baking yet this year, but I'd like to share a recipe. First a little background - I have been a subscriber of the 'Slide of the Week' from Charles Phoenix for a number of years now. He buys old slides at thrift shops, yard sales, etc. and composes them into shows that are an extravaganza of the glory of mid-century middle-class America. He presents them at various venues with wit, sarcasm and a healthy dose of double entendre. If a slide show does not come to your area, books featuring some of the best of the slides can be purchased. This weeks' slide is not a vintage image, but instead a demonstration video and recipe for Cherpumple Monster Pie Cake - a dessert homage to the turducken. I'm not sure I will ever take on this recipe, but from this time forward when I bake a cake I will live by the words - 'Frost it like you mean it'! If you decide to take this recipe on, please tell me how it goes and send Charles a picture.
On the quilting front, I am on the home stretch hand stitching binding on Old St. Nick. Up next will be to quilt Christmas Punch.
No matter how busy you are at this time of year, it's always a good idea to take some time out to quilt. Thank you to Marcie for a great pattern.

14 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

That cherpumple looks worse than a turducken & I was in serious denial about that being possible! ACK - I feel like I need to go brush my teeth.

Lisa D. said...

Your Christmas Punch quilt is wonderful! "Frost it like you mean it" - love that!

Jeanne said...

Love the colors for your Christmas quilt.

paula, the quilter said...

The Cherpumple made me LOL! I am entertaining the idea of making it. I just came up from the basement sewing room to warm up in the weak sunshine that bathes the upstairs. I'm like a cat and can find the only beam of sunshine to warm up in. Ah, poor Harper. The tile must be too cold for her tootsies.

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, Harper looks anxious! I like your white metal container and the Marcie Christmas Punch is stunning.

Quilt Hollow said...

Christmas Punch!!!!! OMGoodness Libby....by far the prettiest I've seen!
Harper may like that tile bunches more when the weather goes back to warmth.

Carol said...

Love your Christmas Punch quilt! Great colors and I'm nuts about the border!

MARCIE said...

There is something very Libby about that quilt! I love it!

paulette said...

I love this quilt, very sweet!
Paulette

WoolenSails said...

I hope you will share some of your decorating. I love seeing how you display your quilts and I bet you have some wonderful christmas ones out now. This year I need to make some, so i will have some for next Christmas.

Debbie

Stephanie D. said...

So what's going to take the place of the tile?

And yep, there is nothing like getting out the Christmas favorites to warm up a new place. I'll bet it was fun finding new ways and places to display them.

Sweet P said...

Poor Harper! I hope she is enjoying winter otherwise.

Quilts And Pieces said...

You always have the perfect fabrics. I love it!

Quilter Kathy said...

Poor Harper being tortured by the tile!
Good thing you are replacing it for him.
Of course it would be quite a shock to come from the sunny south to cold northern tile :)
Love your punch quilt!