Thursday, December 17, 2009

Oh ho, the Wells Fargo wagon is a comin' down the street . . . . . no wait, that's our friendly UPS man. None the less, the package was for me! The first box of California goodies arrived yesterday. Yippee!!!! Everything arrived just as it was packed, if only my friends could have been in there, too. Let me admit right here and now that I did not take out my camera one single time last week. There was just too much fun and chatter going on at all times. Still plenty of pictures from the box to help paint a picture. Ready? Here we go.
I arrived on Monday mid-morning in a pounding rain storm. Now most folks would be disappointed to land in San Diego to find such weather. Knowing the drought conditions they are living through, I can find nothing but good in it. That wet didn't bother us one bit. I was greeted at baggage pickup by my Sweet Hostess and two of our Quilting Pals. Once my suitcase was secured, we quickly made the decision to have lunch here , where we were met by another Quilting Pal and just around the corner from Rosie's Calico Cupboard, The Quilted Rose and The Country Loft. After a lunch, the shopping began in earnest.
Over the course of the week, I focused on finding brushed cottons that would fill the gap in my stash when it comes to backing fabric.
Can't you just feel the fuzzy, warm softness?
Also we visited Canterbury Gardens - known in the area for it's beautiful holiday decorations. So many lovely things and lots of holiday decorating inspiration - before we headed home for homemade cookies and milk. I was tucked into bed early that night (having gotten up at midnight California time to get to the airport on time) and woke feeling refreshed for another full day on Tuesday.
First on the agenda was a haircut (and color) for my shaggy self. I have not yet found a hairdresser here, so it was the perfect opportunity to go to my familiar salon. I planned the timing of my appointment to be done at lunch time. Then met Sweet Hostess and two of our Quilting Pals at my favorite Mexican place for lunch. We toasted Hubby with chips and guacamole as we happily chatted away. Since the rain was but a distant memory, we took a stroll around town afterward, poking into a few shops in the village. We said our goodbyes and Sweet Hostess and I headed to the shop where it all began - Fat Quarters for a quick visit and some shopping.
Going into Fat Quarters is a little like going home. It's such a welcoming shop, the staff is friendly and I know just where everything is located -
and it is a shop that features Cheri Payne patterns - my all time favorite.
With plenty of daylight left, Sweet Hostess and I returned home. Straight to the quilt room we went and starting working on a little project.
We didn't quite finish before the week's end (too much shopping and chatting and not enough stitching.) I'll get those last stitches in soon and always have a fun memory of our time together.
Wednesday was a FULL day. We started out early and headed to the north. Picked up one Quilting Pal along the way and met up with 6 more as we caravanned to Quilter's Coop, our first stop.
We refueled with lunch - more Mexican food. I was surprised with a zip top bag filled with these blocks. A project we had been working on last spring. I had started my blocks when all the life changes began and pushed them aside. I left mishmash of pieces with a Quilting Pal hoping she would make them into something for herself.
Instead, she assembled the blocks and returned them to me. I'll have that quilt made after all.
Refreshed and refueled again, we hit the road. So many quilt shops - so little time. Next stop - Temecula Quilt Co.
What a fun shop. I can't believe that I lived less that an hour away, but waited until I had to travel 3,000 miles to make my first visit. One last stop at Rooster Creek (no website) before we finished out the shopping day. We had to hurry home, freshen up and get ready for the party!
I'll tell you all about that next time . . .

21 comments:

Gail said...

How fun for you! How fun for me to read your blog and know some of the shops you visited having been to them myself. Putting the others on my list for the next visit to San Diego. You know every time I go out there it rains. They keep wanting me to come back--is it for my sparkling self or the rain? Hum, I wonder.

paula, the quilter said...

And a good time was had by all!...
What kind of thread is that?

Sharon said...

It's funny how we move away, return home and then discover places that were once in our "backyard". I love the Temecula shop, I just got a squishy in the mail from them this week :-) Aren't quilty friends just the best?

dee said...

I'm so happy for you. What a fun visit. All that and Mexican too!!

Screen Door said...

Sounds like fun--- it's what I picture heaven being like, yep?!?!

Beth said...

What a fun trip you had, and I love all your goodies. Glad you finally got to hit up Temecula Quilt Co. Now I feel going on a road trip myself! Must...be....good! Take care.

Jo said...

Libby this sounds like heaven to me. I am going to San Diego in January...are any of these shops close enough to visit?

Jeanette said...

Wow, sounds like so much fun! I'd love to go to those shops (and the Mexican food restaurants, too!)

Jeanette said...

Oh yea, are those little thangles for the Christmas quilt from Primitive Gatherings? I've been looking for some for that project. Or do you have another project in mind?

MARCIE said...

Oh my gosh Libby, talk about a shop hop extravaganza! And your new little Cheri project is so adorable! I wonder if this type will print green when published?

Colleen said...

What a wonderful vacation back home :O)

stitchinpenny said...

I am enjoying your travels. Missing good Mexican food, sad about the lack of a really good quilt shop nearby. I want to go to California too. Really I am just very happy that you had such a good time.

Quilt Hollow said...

Oh...jealous over here at the hollow! The sounds of your shop hop and friendship...just makes me so darned envious! How fun for you!!

Yvonne said...

Wow.....what a week! I can't wait to see all your goodies. :)

Kim said...

This was a bit of a trip down memory lane for me. I had lunch at the same deli, shopped all of the same quilt shops as you and your friends did. I can imagine how lovely a time you must have had going home, retracing steps with good friends and a chance to enjoy your favorite Mexican foods while you were at it. Very happy times, good for you!

WoolenSails said...

That sounds like the perfect trip, friends, food and quilt stores.

Debbie

The Quilt Buddy said...

Oh Libby,

How I miss Rosie's, Country Loft, and Quilter's Coop! I can see them in my head right now!

Lucky girl!....Yes, I am jealous!

Lori said...

Ah, it sounds like you missed your friends a lot. How nice to spend some holiday time with them. I love your little sewing project. Is that a small part of a larger quilt? Or a small quilt? It is adorable!

Stephanie D. said...

What a fun visit!

Isn't that always the way--you think you'll always be somewhere and you'll get around to visiting a place, and then something happens and you're gone.

For 20 years we lived within an 8 hour drive of the Grand Canyon and never saw it. Now we live across the country--and will probably see it on some odd trip now! lol

AnnieO said...

What a dream trip you had...Quilting and shopping and eating, oh my! (much better than the one Dorothy took :))

Wendy said...

Sounds like the prefect trip to visit friends, shopping, eating and more shopping. I love you new Cheri project, her stuff is the best. What kind of thread it that, it looks like good stuff.
Happy Holidays