Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Time is escaping from me so quickly that it is making my head spin. Since returning from California I've not yet caught up on emails nor blog reading. Preparations for Christmas and the pending arrival of The Princess has taken all my time and energy. Still I'm more than anxious to share all the details of my trip.
Let me confess, right here and now, that I'm waiting for the boxes (yes, that means more than one) of purchases and swag that had to be sent home via the good folks at UPS. When they reach my doorstep later in the week, I'll start taking pictures and sharing some of the fun that was had. What a great bunch of friends I have - they packed every minute with something fun!
What I can share are the bookends to that trip. Just before I got on the plane, I found a little surprise package in my mailbox from Dixie. Do you know what that is?
It's a belt for my treadle sewing machine. Hubby and I purchased that machine from a junk shop back in the early 80's never once thinking that one day I would learn how to sew. We thought cabinet would make a great table. It has served that purpose well, but for some time have been thinking about how fun it would be to stitch a quilt top using the machine. Dixie and I have agreed to challenge ourselves to do just that in the coming year. I can hardly wait to get started. Thank you to Dixie for getting me started.
On Saturday I found another unexpected surprise in my mailbox. A darling little quilt from Marcie.
Marcie knows how much I enjoy Cheri Payne designs. Look how she used a 'Cheri' bird for the applique. I can't wait to find just the right place to display this little gem. Isn't the mailbox a wonderful place? Stay tuned . . . .

20 comments:

Wendy said...

This is the busiest time of year, I haven't been doing much blogging or sewing. I love the Cheri Payne little quilt, I was lucky to take a class with her this last summer. I've just about finished the Christmas quilt we started in class.
Merry Christmas

Jeanette said...

I know what you mean about time flying by too fast! I'll be looking forward to what fun quilt you will be making on your treadle. I love the quilt Marcie made you, too. Merry Christmas!

Kathie said...

that little quilt is just so adorable!
I LOVE the wool birds and well love anything Cheri!
That was so nice of Marcie and I am so happy for you surprises in the mail are always fun and the princess coming home for the holidays Iknow will make you happy too!
enjoy every minute and will look forward to the purchases pictures :)
Kathie

Chocolate Cat said...

That is a gorgeous little quilt, what a lovely surprise. I learnt to sew on one of the old treadle machines at my grandmothers!

Anne Heidi said...

What a cute quilt- Don't you just love mailbox surprises! Have fun with your treadle machine :-)

Screen Door said...

How exciting!!! You can turn sewing into that aerobic activity we've always dreamed about!!!!

AnnieO said...

Blogging has actually increased at my house as I am procrastinating about shopping for Christmas--but it seems no one is really reading out there in blogland. Maybe that will increase my chances for some giveaways :) Glad you had a SoCal recharge and enjoyed retail therapy. Oh, and gifts before, during and after! How wonderful :)

paula, the quilter said...

Wish I'd known you needed a belt for your treadle. I can get them here, too. I love my treadle machine. Can't wait to see the goodies you bought.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Love the little quilt and the one you made earlier. Wonderful. I have an antique quilt...made and quilted on a treadle, in 1898 in the Indian territory of Oklahoma. It was my husbands great grandma I think. Pretty cool...since some people don't think a quilt is a quilt if its machine quilted!

The Quilt Buddy said...

I love the little quilt that Marcie made for you!

Glad that you are enjoying the snow. We certainly never saw that when we lived in So Cal!

I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas with the Princess!

WoolenSails said...

What wonderful gifts and thoughtful too.

Debbie

jan said...

Hi, I found your blog through Paula the Quilter. De-lurking to say that I sew on a treadle machine, too. I got it an an estate sale and it works really well for straight stitching, and that is what I do!

MARCIE said...

I hope you enjoy that little quilt Libby. Can you wash it with the wool on it for your wrinkly look? Just curious. Decorating your new hope will be great fun for you!

Kathie said...

came to see the pictures from the first box!!!!
love your new banner I love the snow!
LOL
K

Dixie said...

Glad you had a nice trip to California! I am also looking forward to our treadle challenge in 2010 - it will be great fun!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I've never thought about using my treadle machine to sew with, especially a quilt. I'm impressed. My mom sewed all of my clothes on one when I was little, I remember just watching and watching her pump that treadle. I love the quilt Marcie made for you. I'm so glad your daughter gets to spend Christmas there with you.
Blessings,
Marcia

Cathi said...

What a great little quilt!
I cannot wait to hear about your adventures with the treadle machine. I've wanted to get one of those for ages.
Merry Christmas

Stina said...

Lovely surprises... Love Marcies little quilt... :o)
And I love the quilt you have under the belt..... the one with hte trees.. have you showed that one?? ;o)

And I can tell you...time flies just as fast in Sweden too...lol... cant belive we have Christmas Eve within a week!!!! Take care... and enjoy the season!!

Guðrún said...

I love that little quilt.

Carole said...

Sounds like my kind of challenge! When I was looking for a treadle, my only condition was that it was not only in working order, but I had the accessories for it. Bought one a few years ago from an antique dealer for a song. Everything was left in the drawers. Founds so many surprises. I too will one day make a quilt on that machine. I bought my leather belt on a trip to PA a while back. Cheers!