Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spring is really in the air. How can I tell? Because this blog post is shaping up to look like one of my 'posts of yore.' You know the ones where I had a variety of things to share.
First of all there has been quilting. Being that this is primarily a quilting blog liberally seasoned with all the other things in my life, I believe this is a good thing. In my last post, I teased a quilt that I was just about to finish up - one that I worked on with a CQP via text.
Most of the text messages had to do with complaints about the applique and embroidery embellishment. CQP was of the opinion that there were too many petals. That didn't bother me, although I have come to realize that I inadvertently left out four. I was ready to skip out on the birds and leave out the embroidered bits on those petals. I'm glad that in the end she cajoled me into doing it all. The results are well worth those few extra stitches and hunting down the box of floss.
I also got the last bits of applique done on the project McIrish Annie and I each pieced when she visited last month.
If only I had pushed a bit harder, I could have shared it with her in person last Friday. I was invited to meet Annie and her quilting group at MQX for a day of quilt show exploration and lots of chatter. What a fun day it was. It felt like we walked a country mile for sure, even though we only left the display hall for lunch. It was a real treat to meet so many gals that share a love of quilts. I hope to enjoy their company again real soon.
This morning I finished adding borders to the Carpenters Star quilt I pieced last week.
My plan is to add a little touch of applique to one or possibly two of the corners. The top is approximately 65" square and will fit on my dining table just perfectly. It will look great as a summer table cloth.
I've also been having fun in the kitchen. Now that The Princess isn't living with us, we have lost our German cook. Not knowing when she'll have the chance to visit us, I decided to take matters into my own hands and see what I could do.
Last night we had schnitzel and spaetzle for dinner. It turned out pretty darned good, if I do say so myself - though I think The Princess' schnitzel is tastier than mine. Guess I'll just have to practice, practice, practice. Maybe I'll be as good as she is someday.
Our little Daisy continues to grow by leaps and bounds. We have been going to weekly puppy kindergarten classes. She catches on to the new commands quickly. It seems that she will do ANYTHING if there is a treat involved. Because I can do so much more around the house if she is a little bit tired, we have been playing a lot of ball out in the yard.
The challenge was in getting her to bring the ball back. If I expend all my energy chasing after her after she chases the ball, we both end up ready for a nap. With the right amount of enthusiasm in my voice, she has pretty well figured out what to do - as long as a leaf or a bug or a stick doesn't somehow distract her attention.

36 comments:

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

That MQX expo used to be right up here in Manchester NH and I loved going to it. I just couldn't get to it this year in RI as we were doing an MS walk with my daughter. Maybe next year.

Stina said...

Love your new quilts Libby..:o)
And Daisy... ohh she is a sweetie...

Screen Door said...

I think YOU'VE been way too busy to get into mischief!!!!Love all the quilty pieces. Is Daisy learning new tricks or are you ;)... She'll make you ten years younger I promise....

Milah said...

Great projects! Love the quilt for your dining room table.

Lea said...

Libby, your quilts gave me a motivation! They are absolutely gorgeous.
and belated Happy birthday to your daughter. Her pictures are so cute and love the post. :-)

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh! The Carpenter's Star is perfection.
Kiss kiss kiss to Daisy, she is such a dollbaby.

julieQ said...

I love your Carpenter's Wheel! Even more than last post...it is great. Pretty helper you have there, isn't it amazing the energy they have?

Shakerwood said...

The quilts have really turned out great. Love, love the Carpenter's Wheel. Don't you wish you had all of Daisy's energy?

MARCIE said...

You do have a lot to say today! And so many projects! I love them all! Those birdies are so cute! Daisy is adorable! sounds like you are having fun!

Asiyah said...

I really like the Carpenter's Wheel. I think I'll try it out as a gift for my pastor.

Karen said...

The birds are my favorite part of the new quilt.

Lori said...

You've been so busy with such adorable projects!!!
I think a little applique to the Carpenter's quilt will be a wonderful addition and your table will look beautiful!
What can I say about Daisy....ahhhhh..

Quilter Kathy said...

Wow...spaetzle?!? That is really hard to make...good for you for trying! You are really working hard over there...finishing quilts, and cooking, and puppy training!

AnnieO said...

Quilty things are wonderful! I like all your projects, especially the Carpenter's Star. Great looking top you have there...and time with quilting pals, what could be better?

Puppy love, she's a cutie!

WoolenSails said...

I should have gone to the show. Was there much in the prim area?

Love all your new pieces. I will be doing more quilting now and hopefully finish some larger ones I started.

Debbie

kjquilts said...

Love all your quilts!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I just love all the quilts you are working on, but I really love that Carpenter's Star quilt! I won't offer Chloe's help with ball. She is 4 and still doesn't bring it back! She goes to get it then wags her tail and looks at you like - "Ha, ha - I got it and I'm not coming back - I'm not stupid!"

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Love the quilts.:=) Daisy is growing. Maybe I should send my three dachshunds to play ball with her...lol! They love em! Will play all day with a ball.

Caroline said...

Love that Carpenter's Wheel, and I adore the picture of Daisy with a tennis ball!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That Daisy is one furry bundle of pure cuteness! Love your CS quilt and the primitives w/ applique are just plain WONDERFUL!(As is your photography) Yay, Spring~!!

The Calico Cat said...

Puppy = toddler...

Yvonne said...

Awesome quilts as usual...I love the Carpenter's Star. That is one on my someday to do list. Glad you got a to go to mqx...went on Saturday. My two favorite things were the Gathering Grapes quilt and the A1 machine....we got to talk with Jamie for awhile also.

Candace said...

Oh yes....I see what you mean about a "post of yore"! I love the Carpenters Star - and the CQP is adorable! Dinner looks Delish, too! Daisy just gets cuter by the minute! Think how great it will be when the light finally clicks on and she brings the ball back on her own!
Cheers!

Kim said...

Well now this is a post brimming with quilty goodness and the joys of a happy puppy. Daisy is looking more like a little girl instead of a baby pup. I'm glad you two are having so much fun together. I have a German friend who makes Spaetzle for us. It's fun to make! Fantastic that you were able to enjoy MQX with Annie and friends. Yup, spring is defiantly in the air!

Vals Quilting said...

Hi Libby, first time here and you can thank Cathi for that :) I'm loving your blog and your simplistic pieces of art. I love the simpler things in life...smell of fresh cut grass, beautiful sunset...
Nice to meet you I've added you to my favs.
Valerie
http://www.PastimesOnline.ca/vals-quilting/

Katie said...

I taught Kipper the double ball technique. Throw one ball and show him the other one. When he brings the first one back and "leave it" at my feet, I throw the second one. If he didn't see the second ball ready to be thrown, Kipper would chew and play with the first one. At first Kipper would drop the first ball out in the yard and come for me to throw the second one but I insisted that he had to "bring" it. He soon learned how to get a second ball thrown. A tired dog is a happy one. Have fun.

anne bebbington said...

I just LOVE!that Carpenters Star - oh Libby you are such a Siren - calling me to play at something else - you know the last time you did this I ended up stitching fifty million red berries to go with the baskets you set me off on - you temptress you!

QuiltedSimple said...

Love the quilt tops! Gorgeous applique. And Daisy is a doll - she is growing! Isn't it funny how they love to run and play all. day. long?
Kris

Claudia said...

She sure is a cute pup...is she a Golden ?. We have a almost 2yr. yellow lab. I was just remembering when our Rollie was that little.

MichellSommerville0202 said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical.........................................

McIrish Annie said...

I am working on my little quilt too and hope to have it to show you when we go to the Quilt Museum on Tuesday.. can't wait to meet Daisy!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I'm playing catch up on my blog reading, so give the Princess a belated happy birthday for me, that was a wonderful post and tribute to your beautiful daughter.
I couldn't tell that there were leaves missing at all, it looks good to me, and Daisy looks so sweet.
I hope that spring weather continues. After our snow yesterday, we had an afternoon in the 70's today. Go figure :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Cathi said...

All your new quilts are fabulous but the Carpenter's Star just took my breath away. Gorgeous!!
Daisy is so adorable!

Guðrún said...

I am glad that spring is finally in your heart and mind.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Such a lot of fabulous sewing going on there, well done!
Love Daisy, but know from experience that labs are born to wear YOU out first!
Cheers, Tracey

Blogless me said...

I am following your blog in my Google Reader for a while already and I love your work. Imagine my surprise today when I checked your blog and I saw your Carpenter Star Quilt - I have just pieced a slightly smaller version of the same pattern (I was told that mine is called a Broken Star) and in the same colour way. Absolutely amazing. I have just prepared it for quilting and was planning on starting on it this week.