Sunday, May 02, 2010

It looks like we are (at long last) getting down to putting in the finishes touches of settling in our home. Oh, there are still a few window covering details to work out. But what is here is satisfactory for now. This past week, Hubby installed a couple of ceiling fans to help ward off the coming hot days - one in the master bedroom and another in the family room.
These are both photos taken in the family room (the fans are identical) The reason for the two pictures, you ask? The first is taken without flash. Notice the blur of the blades.
The next was taken moments later, fan still whirling but with the flash on.
Okay, I admit it - I'm easily amused. Even more exciting than ceiling fans was the installation of our dining room light fixture.
We purchased it for our home in California and I could not bear to leave it behind. So before we put the house on the market, we swapped it out for a suitable fixture that I didn't mind staying there. The delay in installing it here had to do with the ceiling medallion. The small inner medallion is the original piece and was too small to hide the spot from the original lighting here.
An email to the maker let us know that a custom piece could be made, but we feared it would be cost prohibitive.
Instead we picked up a medallion from Home Depot, a little spray paint and *voila* a pleasing solution to our lighting problem. It's funny how just the simple change of a light fixture can change the feel of a room.
Now to get the Carpenter's Star quilt all quilted and bound. I finished the last of the applique berries.I think it's going to make the perfect addition to our dining room decor.

19 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Libby, you're killing me with that Carpenter's Quilt; the colors and design are to die for.

WoolenSails said...

We have a fan in our dining room, the ugly kind that came with the house. Unfortunately, they did not design the room right and I cannot put a table under it, so for now it stays. My dream is to just knock out the kitchen wall and make it into one room with a counter to separate the living room.

Love that quilt and the colors. Time for me to get my sewing room reorganized so I have more room to do quilting on the ones I started.

Debbie

Karen said...

Those berries look tiny!
The light fixture for your dining room is perfect. Looks so much like 'you'.
I find it interesting about the ceiling fan pictures too. You wouldn't think it would make that much difference.

Catsngrams said...

I love your carpenter's quilt so beautiful. The fans are really nice we need to install one in our Sitting room it would be much cooler.

Screen Door said...

That quilt just says "Summer's on its way..."

MARCIE said...

I want to say "Hey cool!" about the fan photos. Good going with that ceiling medallion too! Looks great! And your carpenter's star is wonderful. Your applique is perfect on it. It is so subdued but still interesting. Nicely done my dear!

anne bebbington said...

Love the applique on your star - just perfect - can't wait to see it quilted

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Love, love, love the applique addition to the CW quilt! Your photos are most interesting w and w/o flash! I wouldn't have figured that would be the difference. Your home looks lovely, all things come together in their time.

Sharon said...

Great C. Star w/ applique, it turned out super nice. Can't wait for a pic of it on display in your home. I need a new light in my eating area, I thought I liked what was here and now that I've lived with it for a few months, it's gotta go!

paulette said...

I just LOVE this quilt!! Well done!
Paulette

Quilt Hollow said...

Wow...seriously tiny applique bits! Your a wonder woman!
Low and behold I have same fans in my home!!

Yvonne said...

I'll bet you enjoyed those fans today.....love the quilt.

kjquilts said...

It's amazing what can be created after a trip to the hardware store! I can't wait to see your new quilt hanging in the dining room. Your right, it's perfect!

Pokey said...

I like the ceiling fans, they are so helpful on those too warm days.
The other candelabra is great, love the medallion! We have two of those and they can be tricky to put up (you need longer screws) but make such a nice statement. Your black paint is perfect! (one of ours I painted black, and added antiqued silver strokes to match the light!)

Lori said...

I love ceiling fans!! And the dining room light is a real beauty!!
I can't wait to see the full quilt:) You are such a tease.

dee said...

Sounds like you're almost there. The quilt will be stunning in that room. How beautiful. The colors are yummy.

Those fans will be a Godsend in the next few months. It really saves on AC. We use them all over the house and never have to turn the AC up to much. The breeze makes the rooms seem much cooler.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love those berries! When you finish quilting it you can just send it my way!

suz said...

Love the light fixtures - they are perfect for that house. I'm sure your quilt will absolutely MAKE the room.

Cathi said...

I guess I'm easily amused too -- 'cause I think the difference in those 2 photos is quite intriguing!