Monday, July 19, 2010

My how quickly a month can fly by. While I still don't feel as if I have my 'east coast legs' yet, I thought I would at least up-date some of the things that have happened over the last month. First, I have renewed my interest in baking. It was easy enough. Just pull a few ingredients from the pantry . . .
and *voila*
bread!
Not only is it delicious fresh and warm from the oven, but also it makes a delightful breakfast.
French bread French Toast *yum*
Or how about this?
Caprese salad with some garlic toasts. The perfect summer supper.
Bread isn't the only thing coming from the oven.
Mini blueberry lemon scones. Great with a freshly pressed coffee in the afternoon. A delicious pick-me-up.
Finally I feel like I am enjoying my time in the kitchen. All that mess and noise from the remodel is proving to be well worth it.
Hubby and I had a little get-a-way at the end of the month. We headed to Vermont and took in the sights.
The Vermont Country Store.
Enjoyed some 'fine' dining.Took in some tours and roadside art.
Visited an exhibit dedicated to Snowflake Bentley.
Also the Shelburne Museum.
Stayed in a wonderful inn.
And got to go to The Vermont Quilt Festival (no pics) We very much enjoyed the exhibit of Pilgrim/Roy quilts and the lecture by Gerald Roy about them.
Back at home, the weekly Farmer's Market has begun.
It's not a big one, but there is plenty for all.
My first purchases of the year.
On the quilting front, I have been diligently working on my hexagons. I have over 20 diamonds ready to add to the top. I'm guessing I still need 40 more. At the quilt show I picked up a kit from Bonnie Blue Quilts. I joined McIrish Annie's friendship group for their Friday Sew last week . . . . too bad I forgot my sewing machine at home. I did get a lot of cutting done, though.
And once I got home to my machine, it was a snap to just sit down and start pumping those strips through.
Daisy is growing by leaps and bounds. I think I take a picture or two of her everyday. Of course, she now just sits and poses when the camera is out. I have many photos that look like this:
Isn't she a good 'sitter'? We are halfway through Basic Obedience I. At this point I'm not sure we are going to pass. Oh she can do everything. And that she does, beautifully, at home. Once we get to class with the people and the other puppies, Daisy just loses her mind and any semblance of focus she might have had.
So there you have it - a month in a nutshell. I'm still reading posts, but not leaving much in the way of comments. I'm trying to limit computer time so the day doesn't get away from me. Bear with a bit longer, I am sure I'll hit my stride . . . . someday.

27 comments:

rainylakechick said...

Halfway through dog obdience training classes, I thought the same thing about my puppy Chauncey. He was about 7 months old when we finished classes and at that age, all he wanted to do when we got to class, was play with the other super awesome puppies. But he did it! He graduated!! I'm still so proud my boy.

paula, the quilter said...

I have always liked the Bonnie Blue pattern: Lancaster. I suppose I should just buy it, huh? Glad to see a post from you.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Welcome back. I have been on the run too but it's back to reality for me after a glorious week at a NH lake. That bread looks so good! And we adore Caprese salad here in summer especially since my basil is growing so fast. It's basil on everything lately here.

Shakerwood said...

Looks like slowly but surely you and hubby are fitting in. I'm sure you will always be a California girl at heart.

My puppies (?) just want to sleep or lick the camera when I pull it out. Everything is food to a labrador!

sewprimitive karen said...

What a trip you had!! Did you like the Vermont Country Store? And of course the steins of root beer look great. But OH the Shelburne, I am sooooo envious. What a hilarious picture of Daisy, guess she knows what the camera is all about now.

Jeanne said...

Good to hear from you! I love Bonnie Blue quilts and Daisy is cuter than ever. Good luck with the second half of training.

Lori said...

Such fun busy things going on with you!!
Daisy is so adorable!!

Karen said...

The baked goodies look oh so good. The bread must have smelled heavenly. The scones look like a good treat. And I have never seen sliced strawberries on slices of bread. I suppose it is like jam before it is jam. Hey, some cream cheese on the bread and then the strawberries would be good.
Glad you go out and about to see some of the sights. Hope you get your East Coast legs soon.

Kim said...

Ooh, that Vermont Country store looks like the one featured in the movie Baby Boom. You've had some nice outings and the baked goods look yummy. I think I can smell the bread and scones, I swear, lol, are you sharing the recipes? Seems that less computer time does translate into more of everything else. Not bad at all...although it is nice to see what you have been up to! :-D

quiltmom said...

I have always wanted to visit the Shelburne Museum- Your trip sounds lovely and your bread looks delicious. Thanks for sharing your adventures.
Keep practising with Daisy - I am sure you are doing a great job.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Chocolate Cat said...

That bread and those scones look heavenly and your trips look fun. Can't wait to see the hexagons joined! Those blueberries look yum!!! Daisy is so cute. Jimmy was the opposite, he did everything right at classes and passed easily but didn't and still won't do anything at home!!! He is so naughty, his one redeeming feature is that he is so lovable!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

This was a wonderful post. I loved all the photos you shared. You have been busy!
Blessings,
Marcia

AnnieO said...

Sounds like you are enjoying the summer. I have a book of quilt postcards my mom brought me from the Shelbourne museum. Great collection.

Can't wait to see the hexagon progress--you have done so much in the last year and a half!

I can smell those scones, I think...

Kathie said...

oh yes you have been busy! I love going to the Shelburne and well the country store is just FUN! I wanted to go to the VQF so bad this year but unfortunately I couldn't this year. Would love to hear more about the lecture and his quilts...
AS long as Daisy behaves at home she is making progress just look at her sitting there!
btw I would love to have a slice of that bread and fresh strawberries for breakfast!
Kathie

Diane said...

so nice to hear from you! Daisy is so cute. I think it's better that she listens at home since that is where she's gonna be mostly. Their just such friendly dogs (my setter is the same) it's almost wrong to make them sit and wait when there are so many people to meet when you're out and about!
The blueberry scones look scrumptious--I was just thinking about making some muffins this morning, but scones is a better idea.
take care

Kelly Ann said...

Looks like you're settling in just fine...just make sure you don't pick up their accent...a West Coast girl sounding like a New Englander...not a pretty sight...LOL

Barbara said...

You have had a wonderful month......and Daisy is beautiful.

yellowfarmhouse said...

What a glorious way to spend a month - lots of wonderful eye candy and some yummies for the tummy :). Daisy is growing up so quickly and adorable by the way :)

Hugs - Karen

Chartreuse Moose said...

Thank you for a fantastic blog! Felt like I'd been along on holidays! Wish I could hang out in your kitchen...yum!!! I'm a foodie at heart being held hostage by twin toddlers! Happy stitching!

Judy in Michigan said...

Happy to read your post today - I missed you! Happy that you had such a great time in Vermont - that's on my list too. Recipe for the scones?? and which quilt kit did you buy at Bonnie Blue?? Thanks and good luck Daisy!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Daisy is gorgeous! I enjoy seeing all the great places you've been, and there you go with those delicious food photos... I'm already drooling for lunch! ;) It's great to see what you've been up to, Libby.

WoolenSails said...

It sounds like you have been having fun, exploring New England. Those dishes look yummy, good thing I am full of seafood tonight;) Daisy are surely grown in the past month.

Debbie

Stina said...

Nice to catch up in you again.. and gosh... Daisy is a big girl soon...:o)) Nice to see you baking and fixing yummy things up again... those lemon breads .... looks Mmmmmmm..:o) And strips for a new project.. just wonderful.. :o) Hugs....+

Candace said...

Thanks for the great update, Libby! Sounds like you're finally getting really settled! Your trip to Vermont is one I would love to do someday - and will! Miss Daisy is just so sweet - she'll catch on in class eventually!
Cheers!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Looks like you had fun! I just got home today from our little road trip. Saw some crazy things! Daisy is still just adorable!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness, you have been so busy! Did you enjoy the Vermont Quilt Festival? We are thinking about trying to go next year if it's worthwhile.

MARCIE said...

Way too many good things to take in! Your pictures from your outings are great! I wanna go with you!