Saturday, July 31, 2010

The week in review - a quick look back at the week that was. Daisy had an appointment to be spade this week. Poor little thing, she barely made it in the front door when we brought her home.
The good news is there are no stitches to be removed and she hasn't been wearing the 'collar of shame' since that first night - she's not interested in licking her incision at all.
There is to be no running, jumping or rough play for the next two weeks. Hubby and I decided that limiting trips up and down the stairs would probably be a good idea, too. So we moved camp to the living room for the first couple of nights.
Doesn't it look cozy? Daisy particularly enjoyed relaxing on the air mattress during the day.
On the quilting front, I joined in the 9 patch swap organized by JulieKQuilts.
It won't be long and I'll have my 100 3" finished blocks ready to put in the mail. I think there might still be some openings for the swap, it doesn't take hardly any time at all to stitch up the blocks, why don't you pop over and sign up?
The work continues on my hexagon diamonds.
The stack grows taller and taller all the time. Just a little more than double this stack should be just enough. If I stay focused, I can complete one diamond an evening. Doesn't look like I'll have the quilt finished in time for this winter. But that's okay, it's going to be worth the wait when I'm finally done.
In the kitchen, I looked for things to make for dinner that wouldn't mean turning on the oven and heating up the house. The best answer for that is gazpacho.
The ingredients are simple and fresh. And after just a few minutes with the food processor *voila*
Enough soup to keep us in dinners for two or three days. It keeps in the fridge. Just take it out, ladle into bowls, grate a little queso fresco or Cotija cheese on top and serve with some tortilla chips on the side. Cool, refreshing and lots of time left over for quilt making.

28 comments:

Rhonda said...

You have been a busy girl. Oh that soup sounds great......it gives me ideas.

julieQ said...

Poor baby doggie! I am so sorry, but I know she will be all bouncing around before you know it. Your nine patches look fabulous!! wow, you are a fast cookie! I love your hexagon diamonds so much, too.

Shakerwood said...

With pain comes reward. Daisy has an adventure with sleeping downstairs with mommy and daddy. Just like camping out.

Reagan goes to the vet on Wednesday. I'm going to talk with them about snip, snip for him. He's had children and he's not having anymore so they might as well go.

May have to check out the 9-patch swap. Haven't been in an "official" swap in a long time.

Cathi said...

Wow, Daisy has grown!! She is such a pretty dog.
Your 9 patches look marvelous and your hexagon diamonds -- well, you know I love hexagons!

WoolenSails said...

My dog did not do well with a collar and he is my shadow, so I finally had to sit in a chair all day to keep him still, lol. He even tried to go down the stairs and wasn't a good idea since he was still drugged;)

Your new blocks look wonderful. I try to cook a meal that lasts, so I don't have to spend so much time over a hot stove.

Debbie

Quilt Hollow said...

I'm in the swap but for the larger blocks...yours are adorable. Daisy is such a sweetie....so loved.

Karen said...

poor sweet Daisy! But heck- camp looks good enough for me to sign up!
Ours had dental surgery 2 weeks ago- and he wouldn't be caught dead in the E-collar- not even at the vet's, so they crafted him an undershirt to keep him away from the fentenyl patch. HA! Super dog figured how to shimmy out of that thing the first night home. And they wonder why I don't get a lot of quilting done some days, lol.
Karen
ps...great 9-patches!

AnnieO said...

No incision? Wow, spaying is reaching the 21st century technology! Our Aussie was quite a contortionist and would not leave his incision alone, but the vet said as long as it did not open up, it was okay. Love your 9 patches! I have joined the bigger size swap and should get started too!

Lori said...

I'm glad Daisy's been such a good girl adn has left her incision
alone:)
So much fun sewing and cooking!! I was tempted by teh 3" 9 patches, but would lke to stay focused on some other projects.

Darlene said...

Get well wishes for a speedy recovery for Daisy.

You've been a busy person! I love gazpacho but I've never made it. It's yummy!

quiltmom said...

Lovely soup - it looks so yummy..
Poor Daisy- I am sure she will be up and bounding around very quickly.
Your quilt will be another beauty.
Hope that summer is treating you well.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Pat said...

Hope Daisy gets to feeling better.
Your work is lovely, my dear friend. Thank you for sharing.
Happy Quilting!

Loris said...

Such sweet dog parents! Daisy is blessed and I hope she is healing quickly. She is such a beauty!
Love the hexagon diamonds and nine patches. Too many projects on the docket to join in but I am eager to see how they all look.

Chocolate Cat said...

Poor Daisy! Love your 'camp' to keep her company though. That soup looks yum although it is the warming variety we need here at the moment!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh hope Daisy is doing well. She looks so sad in that picture.

Stephanie D. said...

Daisy looks whupped! Poor little gal; but it's for the best.

Thanks for the reminder about gazpacho--I hadn't thought about it in a while and I need some!

Stephanie D. said...

Daisy looks whupped! Poor little gal; but it's for the best.

Thanks for the reminder about gazpacho--I hadn't thought about it in a while and I need some!

sewprimitive karen said...

Daisy looks like she thinks she has encountered Brutal Reality but what a cushy home that sweet dog has with parents who will camp out for her! Gazpacho looks fabbbbulouso!

Carole said...

What a busy quilter you have been! I tried e-mailing you this morning and my e-mail bounced! :( I will be in MA the weekend of Aug 7 and was wondering if you would be able to get together. I'd love to meet you! I have booked the breakfast club at the Quilted Crow. Cheers!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Bless Daisy's heart, hope the healing continues to go well. You two are the best, camping out with your girl... I love it!

雅王任 said...

一棵樹除非在春天開了花,否則難望在秋天結果。..................................................

Lee Prairie Designs said...

I am making the nine patch blocks also, I gotta get busy, have lots to sew up! Your soup looks like it is going to be yummy with all that you are putting in it! Thanks for sharing, Carolyn

Nines said...

So many things happening. Poor Daisy- the "camp out" does look cozy and I'm sure she enjoyed it. Been waiting to see those Hexagons... great progress. And the soup looks/sounds lovely.

The Calico Cat said...

Poor girl she turned into a garden implement. (Not that my spelling/typing are all that great. She is now a "spay" because she was spayed/altered.)

Gazpacho - yum!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

That soup looked yummy... and love the growing piles of diamonds...Can't wait till you put them together. Glad your little dog...is doing well. They do grow up fast.

Mad about Craft said...

I'm part of the 9 patch exchange as well and seeing your photo has helped me identify what sort of fabrics I should be looking for when I go shopping for them at the UK's Festival of Quilts in Birmingham

Candace said...

You and your hubby are just the best doggie parents! Daisy is so lucky to have picked you both!
Cheers!

Jenni said...

True dog lovers to move downstairs! We call it the Dreaded Lamp Shade here. She certainly has grown.