Friday, August 27, 2010

Summer is going by in a flash. It is quite a different season in New England from the 'Endless Summer' of southern California. I have experienced living in a humid climate before . . . but it was at a time in my life I was too young to care. Now I am simply grateful daily for air conditioning. Fall will be here soon enough - I'll go outside then.
I have been happily working away on my hexagon project. It continues to grow. I spread it out and was happy to find that it actually further along that I thought. By my count there are three and a half rows.
I estimate two and half more rows will be just what I need.
Last week, Hubby took a couple of days from work to make a long weekend for a little getaway. We started the fun with a concert - Tom Petty.
There is just nothing like singing along to all your fave songs live . . . . brings out your 'inner backup singer'.
Then we headed the wheels north and landed in Maine for sightseeing, eating and a little relaxation thrown in for good measure.
We explored Bar Harbor. This reminded me of Gum Alley in San Luis Obispo, CA. (Yes, I have placed my gum up there)
This sign was posted at the Inn where we stayed. Love the last warning.
We enjoyed some great food. I think every meal had some component that is famous in Maine. I named this guy Lester.
In Acadia National Park, we enjoyed the popovers from Jordan Pond House after a friend tipped us off that we should check them out.
Back at the Inn, we had a beautiful view from the gardens. Hubby and I spent plenty of time soaking up some sun, watching the boats on the water, reading and stitching.
What a treat. A girl could get used to that kind of livin'.
But soon enough the trip was over and we were back to reality and rain! Lots and lots of rain. It was needed, but honestly must it all come at one time? Four days of rain.
Poor little Daisy thought she might never be allowed outside again. On the third day, we just gave up and took a nice long walk in the rain. There are only so many games you can play inside and still call it a home. We are both glad the storm is gone and we can get back to our regular routine.
Last but not least, I cannot believe that today marks 19 years since my mom passed away.
That's me expressing my very strong opinion about something while Mom just patiently waits for me to finish up my display of emotion. A scene that would be played out again and again in varying ways over the years.
And a happier scene. I love this picture and I wonder what we were laughing about? I sure do miss her.

24 comments:

Diane said...

Oh I love your updates on the hexagon top. I am just amazed at how big it's gotten. Love the colors. And also on how your adapting to such different weather. I would think is sucks-- after living in CA.
The getaway sounds wonderful-Paul and I are going to Gettysburg in a couple weeks for 3 dayshopefully on the bike if the weather is nice. He's been there, me never.
Ithink losing your mom has to be one of the hardest things. Nobody else loves you like your mom does. It's good that you have wonderful memories and pictures.

Lori said...

You are more than halfway to a finish on your hexagon! Woo-Hoo!! It is fantastic!!
I've stayed on an island in Maine and your photos remind me of the terrific time I had. I hope you got a chance to relax and refresh.
Love both photos of your mom and you.

Mary Lou Casada said...

I got to see Bar Harbor and Acadia when I was in college some (mumble, mumble that sounds like a much too large number) years ago! It's so beautiful!! It was spring break in March, and we had 60 degree weather in March while all the boneheads who headed south got hurricane weather! Oh the poetic justice for this KYian!

My mom's been gone just over three years. Nobody comes even close, do they!? The photos and the memroies are precious!

The hexagons -- oh my word!!

Dixie said...

What a great post! Your hexagon quilt is so wonderful. Glad you had a great time - Tom Petty is the bomb. I've never been to one of his concerts, but love his music - brings back a lot of memories. I've heard of bubble gum alley, but have yet to leave some there. It will happen one of these days. Love, love the pictures of you and your Mom - so much expression and emotion in them. Lots of memories to treasure, I can tell. Worked in Visalia earlier this week - 111 degrees!!! Weird weather all over this year.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love that hexagon quilt...it is so interesting with so many fabrics to look at! Sounds like your trip was fabulous!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

It was a hot summer but that's better than a totally rainy one which we've been known to have so count your belssings. Then there's days like today that I love. Glad you got to Maine. I love Bar Harbor but it's so far up. Our place is about 90 minutes south of there on the coast. I ate so much seafood when I was there this summer that I thought I would turn into a shellfish-yum, yum.

Beth said...

What a wonderful update, I always look forward to your updates. The hexie quilt is gorgeous! I love, love, love the colors! And look at all the great scenery and wonderful food you go to enjoy on your getaway, I'm so jealous! Someday I would like to get back East and see some different scenery from Southern California. Thank you for sharing the lovely pictures of your mom too. Oh, and lastly, Daisy is so danged pretty!

Linda said...

Your hexagon top is coming along nicely. I love the colors...very Fall. It looks like a nice time was had on the get away. Great photos! It's so hard losing a parent, my Dad will be gone 15 years next month.

WoolenSails said...

You went to my favorite place, I love acadia.
Did you hit any stores on the way up? There are great places to go on rt 1 and I love the antique chicken house, could spend all day there.

I know how you feel, my mom has been gone a while too and sometimes you wish you could call and talk with them.

Debbie

Quilts And Pieces said...

Glad you had a good time. I've always wanted to go to Maine. I love that picture of you and your mom! You should see the old photos of my sister I pulled out the other day!

And WOW is all I can say about that hexagon quilt! WOW!

sewprimitive karen said...

Wow, wonderful post, what fun going to Maine, and all the rest, and the simply amazing hexagon quilt, what a beauty!!

Stina said...

It grows..:o)) Lovely little get way you had... spmetimes its so good to just go... So you got a short summer too.. here Autumn came a lot earlier than expected... way to early.. summer wasnt even over..:o( Rains.. cold days and mornings.. they even talk about frost.. SIGH!!!In August!!! We started to make a fire every morning and evening.. and pheew.. its early on the season!!

Carol said...

Love the Maine pictures...Andy and I are going in October and can hardly wait...we'll be in Bar Harbor and Acadia for a couple of days. What wonderful pictures of you and your mom.

Judy said...

You named him THEN ate him?? Too funny!

The hexagon quilt is coming along very lovely...must do one some day. How's the smaller sized hexagon project coming?

Karen said...

You have made some progress on the hexagon quilt for sure. I know that makes you happy. I am looking forward to seeing it done and on your bed.
Your long weekend trip encompassed a lot in a short time. We may make a trip to New England next year but I don't know that Maine will be in the mix.

Quilt Hollow said...

Hi there,
I enjoyed your post, photos and sharing memory lane with you...those were happy times in your last photo for sure.
I have to tell you...lived in England for three years and if we didn't sight-see just because it rained we may not have seen much. So many weekends when hubby was off it rained and we learned we had to go anyway. Embrace it.

Nines said...

So happy to see the hexagon quilt! And more than half way done. Way to go. I love Maine- pictures took me back. Cried when I saw the pictures of your Mom. How sweet. So sorry for your continued loss.latoreg

Nines said...

latoreg was the word verification. oops!

AnnieO said...

Lots of news in this post! Great going on the hexagon front--it is so striking. How accomplished you must feel seeing it take shape under your hand! Sounds like you had a nice getaway for the summer--wish I had too. So sorry to hear you lost your mom so long ago. I know I'll miss mine always when that dreaded day comes, hopefully many years from now. My SIL's mom died soon after she met my brother, so I share my mom with her (she was only 24 when her mom died).

Guðrún said...

The top is looking gorgeous. I think your princess looks a lot like you when you were younger. Mothers are the ones that we always miss after they are gone!

Rana said...

Hilarious to see Gum Alley mentioned! My oldest daughter managed to come out of there one time with a mouthful of gum, even thought my husband and I were both watching her!! Good grief. Now she is all grown up, and attending Cal Poly, and I am pretty sure that she doesn't do that anymore...

Stephanie D. said...

The hexagon quilt is looking beautiful! As is Daisy! And Maine!

And what a patient look on your mom's face as she held you. Such love! Sorry she's gone.

Marilyn Robertson said...

I am having fun watching your hexagons grow! That quilt is going to be a beauty!

Carole said...

What a lovely trip! I would like to go to Maine! I like the way your hexagon quilt is coming along! Stunning! Love the pictures of you and you mum! Keeps well! Cheers!