Saturday, September 11, 2010

Caution! The content of this post is a rant tinged with a bit of temper tantrum. There are no pictures or quilting content. Proceed if you dare.
Yesterday I thought perhaps I had somehow descended into the 7th circle of hell. Do you ever just have one of those days? You know the kind that start out shiny and full of promise only to devolve into a wasteland of frustrations and wasted time.
Daisy was enjoying herself with seven other Goldens at the local doggy daycare. I had a nice lunch date planned with Hubby. Then just a couple of quick errands and a quick spin around the house with the vacuum would leave the rest of the day for me to spend with fabric, my sewing machine and my favorite San Diego radio personalities.
I was just about to finish up my running around when I had the urge to grab a nice triple-shot latte from Starbucks to keep me company once I was home. Nothing like the first crisp afternoon to have a girl's thoughts turn to a nice hot afternoon coffee. And then . . . . . . my truck wouldn't start. %#&*#%&*$#()%#!!!!!
I called Hubby to see if he could come back and give me a jump. No problem. I enjoyed my drink while I waited for him to rescue me. *sigh* There just wasn't enough juice in his battery to get me back on the road. So I reached for my AAA card and started dialing. That's when things really took a turn for the worse - first a little background.
Some long time readers of this blog may remember when we had some trouble with out auto insurance. It was a frustrating time but we secured insurance with a new company and thought our troubles were at an end. That held true until it was time to make our cross-country move. Then our new company (Automobile Club) became less than helpful and ultimately reached a point where we decided to change providers again - but we did retain the roadside service which was transferred by the company from Southern California to New England without us doing a thing and causing a little drama and confusion of its own.
So back to the Starbucks parking lot. I pull out my Automobile Club of New England card and using my cell phone call the 800 number. After a round of 'say this, choose that' I finally got a human who informed me that he would have to transfer me to an operator in MA as he could not help. He promptly cut me off.
Redial, re-prompt, new human, another transfer, more frustration. After getting settled with the dead battery issue (which would require an hour's wait, I was asked if anything else could be done. I decided to address the call-in situation and find out why I wasn't automatically routed to a New England operator. I was given a story that because my cell number has a California area code, I will always be routed there no matter what number I dial. I cry, 'Baloney!' If the equipment is SO sensitive as to know what number is calling it should also be sensitive enough to figure out what cell tower the call is originating from. We are after all a mobile society. Hubby and I are not the only people to move and not change phone numbers. Add to that equation the number of folks who travel far from home for business and pleasure. Thank goodness I was in the relative safety of a parking lot rather than sitting on the side of the Mass Pike with cars whizzing by me.
There are two bright points to this story - 1. The tow truck operator who arrived to give me a jump. He was friendly, efficient and no nonsense. He had me on my way in just minutes after his arrival. 2. I have 35 days left on my new car warranty which meant the battery would be replaced without the exchange of $$.
Now off to the dealer I go. Uh - oh. I don't have an appointment. They are not happy to see me. After pointing out that I would not be out of their hair should I turn off my engine, I was asked to go inside to speak with a service tech. I am told it will be at least two hours. Oh goody. If only I had a book or some handwork. At least I had my cell phone. I passed nearly two hours with email and a video game.
My name was called, I grew excited. Maybe I could salvage an hour of quilting time before day's end. Nope. I am instead informed that indeed my battery had failed, that Honda had 'approved' the warranty work. Now I need only wait for them to install it. *sigh* My cell phone is nearly out of battery, too. So I tried amusing myself by wandering the showroom looking at the new cars. Another hour passes before the service tech happily informs me that I can be on my way. Isn't it great that the part was under warranty? Won't I please give him a good review when the dealership calls for me to rate their service? Whatever . . . I just want my keys, I want to go home!
As I make my way around the corner to find my truck, I running through my mind the absurdity at the attempt to make me grateful for something that was replaced at no cost because it was defective in the first place. That's when I saw they had parked my truck under the sprinklers leaving it wet and water spotted. *argh*
Oh and the thoughts I had of changing my roadside service to another company. Well, that won't happen either. I checked into the plan offered through AARP (where I became a member this year) only to find that the service is provided by those not so 'good hands people' we left four years ago.
If you have stayed with this little diatribe all the way to the end, you deserve a pat on the back. I don't really expect anyone to do so, but I just had to get it off my chest. Stay tuned. I will return in the next day or so with some really fun quilting content.

29 comments:

Pokey said...

Whew. Sorry, we all have been there with you. Hope today is better!

Lori said...

What a bummer, A day full of promise and the road turned crooked so fast! Ugh!
We have an auto parts store and changing a battery takes all of 10 minutes!

Quilt Hollow said...

Flippin heck! I absolutely feel for you and I would have been fuming! No Starbucks could have made this ordeal better..sorry it happened.

A Quilter Awakens said...

I HATE days like that. Karmen

Kathie said...

oh no I am so sorry you had to spend you day like this...
I hope you went home and had a cup of tea and lots of cookies
Kathie

Karen said...

aarrgh!! a kind of day that makes you wish you stayed in bed, or at least traveled around with some handwork!! lol...
but fear not- I see quilting pleasure in your future...your very near future.
Giving you a hug in exchange for that pat on the back - of course I read to the end!
Karen

Judy C said...

Whew! and I thought my day was bad, but you had me beat! Hope you get your stitching time in it always makes me feel better!

quiltsbycheri said...

Sounds like my dealing with the DMV....that was pure hell for over 6 months just trying to get my license renewal! So I understand completely with your frustration!

Sharon said...

What a drag, and for someone who enjoys doing hand work, I can only imagine the angst of not having something with you. I had a similar issue, flat tire, called Ford, they told me I didn't own that vehicle and there was no service. I informed them I've been driving it for 8 months and I'm standing looking at it. They finally came and changed my tire.....geez!

I am a quilter said...

so sorry!!!!!

AnnieO said...

It is a good thing you were safely in a parking lot on both occasions you were made to wait so long! It is frustrating to deal with insurance companies--who seem to "protect us" from doing the very services we pay for! I work in the medical field--insurance companies rule the world these days.

Momma Made This said...

Yes, Annie, insurance companies DO rule the world. I was about to mention to Libby that it could have been worse. It could have been a medical insurance company calling the shots or lack of them. I spent Labor Day Weekend in the fetal position because the flipping insurance company would not approve the meds my DOCTOR prescribed! You know, the ones I've been on for months and say "DO NOT DISCONTINUE WITHOUT DOCTOR'S APPROVAL." I'd sue if I'd felt better. Anyway, I'm sorry you had a rotten day, and I look forward to seeing something pretty on your blog very soon!

~ Ronda

Shakerwood said...

Yes, I stayed to the end! You have a gift of making even a miserable time sound interesting. And yes, I have had days like that. Not for a while though so I guess I am due soon.

sewprimitive karen said...

I don't know why so many things have to be so frustrating these days. And to take soooo long. Hate that feeling of having wasted valuable time.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Bummer! Nothings worse than a delay in getting to the sewing room in my opinion. Wasn't your husband in the military? We have USAA for insurance and have never had a problem. I also have AAA and thankfully haven't had to use it lately. Now that I've said that I'll break down tomorrow.

Rana said...

The 7th circle of hell, huh? That is one bad day!!

Tamera said...

And the biggest bummer is that you didn't have some handwork or something with you!

Hope the rest of your weekend is better. :-)

Jeanne said...

These kind of days can be very frustrating. I think you handled it well. As for the road service, etc., I think they smile and tell you what you want to hear until you sign up. Then you're on your own. Hope tomorrow is a better day! Hug Daisy for me.

WoolenSails said...

We all have those days and they always seem to come when we plan to do something for ourselves, lol.

Debbie

Christine said...

Well, I read it all.....I had to see how it ended!! Sorry you had such a crappy day....I hope today was better! christine

Susan Being Snippy said...

I do believe it is a sign of the times, they sell us service and insurance and act like they do us the favour of providing us with that which we have previously paid for -- they say isn't it nice to get this free? No, it isn't free we have been paying for YEARS without asking for service then when we do, we have actually paid for it 10 times over...

Alice I. said...

Oh Libby! So sorry your day did not go as planned. It's never fun having to deal with insurance-related issues. Glad, however, you are home safe.

quiltmom said...

Hope that is the end of your truck problems for a long time- it does sound like a very tiresome day.
May today be filled with some good quilting times!
Regards,
Anna

Loris said...

Discouraging day for you! I hope you are able to make it up to yourself even if the insurance company won't. I guess we should never, ever travel without hand work to do...note to self...
I hope today goes a whole lot better!

dee said...

Car problems can drive us insane. You made me laugh when you said your car had water spots. That's my son's pet peeve. That car is his baby and the apartment has sprinklers that turn on and leave water spots on the baby. He's out there detailing every day.
Hope things smooth out soon. Thanks for all the kind words you've sent my way. They are very welcome and much appreciated.

Sylvia F said...

Libby insurances are good to have until you have to use then that is when you find out if they are good or bad.
Sylvia :)

Stephanie D. said...

Don't even get me started on insurance companies!!

On a better note, we use Driver's Elite roadside service. We've had them for years and years and never a bit of trouble in either state--NM or NC.

They're always courteous on the phone, they call me back with the information and ETA, and then I get an automated call a little white after the ETA has passed to see if assistance has arrived. If I don't answer the phone, I get a second call.

Here's the site in case you want to check them out: http://www.driverselite.com/

Texan said...

What a day and well sadly as you said in another post there are way to many of us with way to many stories like that.

What on earth has happened to customer service!! One hates to be negative but its simply gone :O(...

Just two days ago I battled ATT yet AGAIN! Only to have the gal ask me to please give her a 100 percent I am happy customer when they call to see if I am. UM well lets see this is only my 900th call to ATT, UM no I am not happy.

House of Mouse said...

I had an experience with a roadside provider that I will never forget. We were delivering Xmas presents on Xmas eve..it was icy where we were..we nearly went over an embankment, but ended up with the back end of my car smashed upside a mountain. We called..we were told it was too icy and a truck could not get to us...so why didn't we just call a cab..wonder how they thought a cab would come when they wouldn't. We finally found a tow truck to come and get us going..needless to say we canceled our membership the next work day.

Anett