Thursday, September 09, 2010

Eureka! Today is one of my favorite on the calendar - September 9, 1850 - California became the 31st state admitted to the union. Even though I am far, far away, the words of Dorothy Gale never rang more true, "There's no place like home." And no matter where I roam, California will always be home to me.
Look at what arrived at my doorstep just this week all the way from the Golden State.
A friend there makes birdhouses from vintage and found items. She says this is California yard art. I don't know - I think this one will stay in the house, at least for winter. No matter where it is placed, it certainly is a most delightful and heartfelt surprise.
On the quilting front, I have been keeping up with Cheri Payne's (a quilt designer from California) Ashes and Soot sampler blocks.

You, too, can join in the fun. Just drop by her blog for the directions. Not only is it going to be another great quilt, but she is offering her design for FREE!
And last but not least, a recent photo of my little camera ham, Daisy.
While she may not originate from California, she is a 'Golden' Retriever. With a sweet face like that she can claim anywhere as home in my book.

16 comments:

Shakerwood said...

And it's black and gold to boot! It will fit anywhere in your house, I'm sure.

I have the pieces cut out for block 5 and 6 but not together yet. Looking good!

AnnieO said...

Admissions Day it is! And admitted as a free state, too, no slavery allowed. Great birdhouse, love it.

Ashes and Soot is such a cute name. Fun blocks going on there.

Darling doggie :)

Milah said...

Cute birdhouse!

Thought you might like this,


http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=144105082287423&ref=mf

Karen said...

You certainly are a California girl at heart.
Your new bird house from Calif. is a good looking prim style. A good addition whether inside or out.

Beth said...

I hope we get you back with us in California someday too! I can't imagine living anyplace else. Have you started working on the Folkart Gathering quilt yet? I am thoroughly enjoying working on mine. Daisy is getting prettier every day! I'm still on the fence if I want to start the Cheri freebie.

Lori said...

The CA bird house is gorgeous! What a thoughtful gift from "home".!
Daisy is so adorable!!

Angie said...

What a wonderful gift, Libby, I love love love birdhouses and that one is soooo cute!! I always love to see what you're working on...and that sweet sweet girl dog is just too precious!!

Jeanette said...

That's funny, I'm from Eureka, CA. It will always be my home, too. :-) In fact, since I'm in Canada, just crossing over the border makes me feel like home. lol

LOVE your birdhouse!! And, also your blocks. I have two done so far but hope to be caught up soon.

Carol said...

Love your Soot and Ashes blocks...cute birdhouse...Sweet Daisy girl!

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful piece to remember home by. I am the same way too, if i ever moved, I would always be a New Englander;)

Debbie

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That sweet face makes my day~ Hi, Daisy! Lovin' that birdhouse, too!

Nines said...

Love the yard art- a very clever way to use found items. Your Ashes and Soot blocks are looking great- hard to keep up with her! She posts and posts. Daisy is adorable. My how big she has gotten.

sewprimitive karen said...

Happy California Day, Libby! Your black and whites are looking very handsome.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Love the soot and ashes quilt blocks...and that bird house is too adorable. There is no place like home... for sure.

A Quilter Awakens said...

I dig the birdhouse! "Golden" is a state of mind, and Daisy is a beautiful physical expression of that state. Karmen

Stephanie D. said...

I love the materials she used on the birdhouse--definitely folk art-is!

Sweet Daisy--she looks as if she has a temperament to match!