Monday, September 13, 2010

Thank you so much for all the kind words on my Lost Day post. Seems there is a LOT of frustration out there when it comes to customer service and the lack of it. Also insurance companies - they used to bring peace of mind. Hopefully one day (soon) we will see the return of both.
Now on to fun and exciting things in the world of quilting. You may remember when I put up this post. Seems that a lot of gals would love to make this quilt from near and far. As luck would have it, there are some of the 'near' gals that were eager to take a leap of faith and join me in person to work on it together.
Yesterday we had our first Folkart Gathering Gathering. Six of us met at The Quilted Crow for an afternoon of stitching, snacking, shopping and getting to know one another. Just look at what we did . . . .
My block -
I changed out the little half log cabins for some churn dashes that were stuffed in a drawer from an abandoned project.
McIrish Annie
Just look at those colors. Annie says she is NOT ready to let go of summer and plans to channel Freddie Moran with her quilt.
Karen
has plans to work only with fabrics she has on hand. Looks like she's got a wonderful stash just perfect for a beauty of a quilt.
Suz (no blog)
is even piecing her background by hand! OMG - such an impressive undertaking.
Joan (no blog)
has a great eye for fabrics. I may have to ask her to make a few selections for me. I covet her sawtooth stars.
Last but certainly not least is Anne (no blog)
has another beauty on her hands. She took some license with the 1/2 log cabin blocks. I love that those blocks will make her piece totally unique from all the others. That really is part of what is so special about these designs - you cannot do anything wrong, it is folkart after all.
Before the day had ended, we scheduled two more 'gatherings' for October and may have added another gal who just happened to stop by the shop.
I'm so excited to make some new friends here in New England. Not only will have a quilt to show for our efforts, but hopefully we can continue getting together for quilting and friendship long after the last stitch has been taken in this first project. That's what quilting will do for you - keep you warm . . . . inside and out.

25 comments:

Lori said...

Not only are the quilts beautiful but the new friendships that will be formed from your "Gathering"!! Lucky ladies!!

Strlady said...

How lovely! I love how you swapped out the log cabins for the churn dash (one of my favorite Prim blocks). Can't wait for more updates!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I am so jealous I don't live there! They are all wonderful. And dang it. I've only been able to play with Karen in an airport. No Fair!

Nines said...

Lovely. I especially like yours- you're such a pro. Sorry about your woeful day with the insurance.

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing the pics.....so fun to see the bright color choice!
I have block one done except for the letters....guess I better get crackin!
christine

AnnieO said...

I have no doubt your gathering also included laughter and good fun. You certainly had fabric beauty! Terrific how you all have made this your own. I love the churn dash blocks!

Beth said...

It sounds like your first get together was a hit! Thank you for sharing the pictures, they are fabulous! I love how you put the churndash blocks on the bottom! If I didn't have mine all sewn up I would almost be tempted to copycat your idea! So cute! I can't wait to finish all the things I need to finish on mine and move onto the next one!

Sharon said...

How fantastic for you. When I moved to a new area one lady told me "if you quilt, you will have friends". That is so true! I'm off to spend5 days with 3 other women and the thread that ties us together is quilting!

Loris said...

what an awesome start! I still hope to 'join' you....make that cyber join you by working on some Cheri Payne this fall too. I started the soot and ashes blocks. I also am thinking about one from her book called a wildflowers quilt. Have a wonderful time. You are all very creative quilters.
Thank you for sharing your first gathering!

Jeanette said...

I'll bet that was fun! It's fun to see everyone's different versions. Are you going to make your letters out of wool? I need to get going on mine. Sorry to hear about your insurance troubles. It sure is hard to get good customer service these days!!

Stina said...

ohh.. I am clapping my hands... love them all.. will be fun to follow and be inspired from.. Have fun!!

Chocolate Cat said...

Sounds like a wonderful 'good for the soul' kind of day! Your blocks all look amazing.

Quilter Kathy said...

How wonderful to spend time with like minded quilters! Love these projects! It's fun to see the different personal touches everyone incorporates.

Carol said...

Libby what wonderful quilts! I'm so glad you had tons of fun!

tami said...

Gorgeous. I'm glad you are finding great new friends in New England.

WoolenSails said...

I didn't know they are open on sundays?
If we get a chance, maybe we can take a drive up and say hi and do some shopping.

Debbie

Christine said...

they are all lovely...

paulette said...

Wow!! I LOVE the little churn dash!! Really pops the quilt!! Can't wait to see the grand finale!!
paulette

Stephanie D. said...

What a lovely bunch of quilts! And what fun to all get together like that!

Anne Heidi said...

Your blocks look great- It is fun to see how different they look with different fabrics- and I LOVE your churn dash blocks.

Sweet P said...

Great quilts! Sounds like you've found a wonderful group to hang out with and quilt.

Shakerwood said...

Looks like you guys have made a wonderful start. I did pull out the patterns that I have so far and checked them out. Maybe I can start on the background this weekend . . . we'll see!

Jantine said...

What a fun day! I really like the quilt. The sapping from half log cabin to churn dash was a smart idea!

Carole said...

What lovely projects! So glad to read that you are enjoying some quilting! Hum.... if I didn't live so far..... I did e-mail Cheri to see if she sold to quilt shops and she never got back to me! :( Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

kathy said...

Libby - I love this quilt and believe me had I lived in New England and not New Zealand, I would have been there to join this group, with bells on.

I have a question ... I purchased the patterns and finally took them out of their packets to look at them the other day. To my horror I have discovered that I am missing the pattern for that centre house block and the pieced stars that go above it. I was wondering would you be able to tell me - were they printed on a page that said Block 1 at the top of it? And did the pattern come in three separate packets i.e. Block 1, Block2, Block 3?

I love your blog and was delighted to "re find" you after losing you off my favourites! In fact I went back through your archives and read them all ...