Thursday, October 21, 2010

Holy Slacker, Batman! It's been a long time since we've seen a post here. But now that I look around, I see that I do have some things to share and talk about. First and most exciting - check out what was in my mailbox yesterday!
You may have seen a photo of this dandy stocking over on The Quilter. While she might be The Quilter, she is also The Knitter in my book. I recently asked if she thought my rudimentary knitting skills would be sufficient to make a stocking suitable for felting. In response, Paula sweetly offered to do the knitting for me! Can you imagine? Such a generous offer and a very special treat. I quickly sent off the wool and in a blink of an eye a beauty of a stocking arrived at my door. Now to felt it up. Quilting friends are the best! I can't thank you enough.
On the quilting front here at home, I sat myself down at the sewing machine to finish piecing the Soot and Ashes blocks.
And not a moment too soon either. Cheri posted the instructions for assembly of the top today. It's going to be a darling quilt. I knew it would be.
I'm also working on Folk Art Gathering. Our little group will be getting together soon and I would love to have some progress to share.
So I set to work on the pieced baskets from Block 2. Let me just say that template piecing is the bane of my quilting existence. I struggle with the concept and usually give up and paper piece the blocks. (paper piecing is no picnic for me either, but it does eventually result in a completed block) I decided that it was time to conquer my fear and take on the templates. Deep breath. Chocolate.
*voila*
Basket blocks. Before you get too excited, know that there were some bad words thrown around, there was a lot of stitching removed, but I finished the afternoon with completed piecing. How thankful am I that this is folk art? These blocks would not win any sort of precision piecing awards. But that is not what we are going for in the first place.
In the world outside my door, fall is really starting to happen. The colors are becoming more vivid each day. There are times of the day when the world around me seems to glow. This is just a little peek through my backdoor.
This is what I see from my little sewing spot on the couch. These might be my most favorite colors. If only photos could do them true justice.
I'll close for now with a picture of Daisy.
Doesn't it look like she's laughing? Oh Daisy - you are a funny, funny puppy!

p.s. I have received some comments recently in the form of questions but they arrive as No-Reply. PLEASE - everyone check your settings. I love to respond to comments and questions. But it is impossible when you are set to 'No-Reply'.

22 comments:

Loris said...

Can't wait to see the stocking felted. I haven't tried that yet but it sounds interesting.
Haven't started my Soots & Ashes yet either...! But I did just write out Cheri's latest instructions. I just started a big quilt for my mom so I better get 'crackin' if I want to get other stuff sewn up for gifts.
Love the leaves and Daisy's color is perfect for the
almost forgot. The baskets look great! I sort of like templates for hand piecing but they are projects I use for something to stitch while watching movies.

Loris said...

...left out a word...Daisy's color is perfect for the ..season..

Beth said...

Oh man, I wish we had those autumn colors here! Our weather can't make up it's mind *what* it wants to do, it's raining today but I'm sure it will be back to the 80s soon. It's funny, you can paper piece, I am scared to death of that so use the template method with freezer paper, I don't know what I'd do without that method! I really need to learn paper piecing someday! Daisy is so cute in that picture, she does look like she's laughing!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Bad words in the sewing room-I've been known to do that on occasion. When I opened my living room drapes this morning, this glow just appeared from outside. It was gorgeous. I don't know if it was the cloudy sky making it look so on fire but it took my breath away.

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

That stocking is really cool! I bet it looks awesome when you felt it up.
Dang...I wish I had time to do that soot and ashes quilt, it looks really cute.

Angie said...

Oooh I can't wait, either, to see the felted stocking! Wouldn't you love to be able to knit stockings --- I'm a true knitting novice so no heels and toes for me, but oh I do love the idea!! :) What a gorgeous gorgeous view you have, Libby. The colors here in northeast TN have been breathtaking this last week. Today has been VERY WINDY so a lot of the leaves are now on the ground. I love your baskets!! I have not tried that kind of piecing---yet LOL. Daisy is just the cutest pup!! Hugs from me to both of you!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Love that stocking, Paula is quite THE KNITTER!! Wow! :) Daisy totally cracks me up and makes me smile, too. Nothing like fall in New England, one simply needs to experience it.

quiltsbycheri said...

Your blocks look good! How can I get on your knitter friends list....how sweet is that stocking! Now just to let you know template piecing to me is a walk in the park compared to paper piecing, can't figure it out and also all the ripping, just too much for me....we're all made different!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Well how nice of "The Quilter". I was lucky enough to win the most awesome pair of socks from her last year. I just love them. Daisy is adorable!

WoolenSails said...

I have not tried felting knitted items, but want to try.
Looks like you are working on lots of different projects. I just wish I could finish one, lol.

Debbie

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

What a sweet gift. You make such beautiful quilts too. I love to see what you're working on. And Daisy? Even her eyes look like she's smiling. Maybe even laughing a little :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

sewprimitive karen said...

Daisy couldn't look happier. Oh, that New England fall color, gorgeous.

Kathie said...

nothing better than fall in New England
glad your enjoying and oh I love that stocking!!!!!
ahhhh Daisy smiling why not she is spending her days with YOU and in your sewing room!
Kathie

dee said...

Lovely little baskets & a smile from Daisy is just the best starter to the day.
Thanks for all your nice comments. Nothing like friends checking in.

Stina said...

Love to see that you are sewing... :o) And I have been following Cheris Soot and Ash ... but have found time to start it.. But I will some day!!! :o))
Enjoy Autumn.... you know whats knocking on your door after Autumn... dont you..lol..

Lori said...

The stocking is so cute! I can't wait to see it felted.

The baskets are perfect!! What a fun project.

Carol said...

She is laughing...OMG that's great. Love the leaves.

Stephanie D. said...

WHat a beautiful view out your window!

Give that Daisy girl a big hug from me!

LuAnn said...

Great stocking. I think it looks neat just like that. Love your quilt blocks, too.

Shakerwood said...

Son of a nutcracker. Just had to throw that in ... If I had weather and scenery like yours, I wouldn't be spending it inside on the computer.

I finished by blocks, too. But I already had a setting in mind before she showed us hers that I think I might do instead. Just to be different.

I haven't gotten to the Folk Art Gathering at all like I thought I would. I have been dying wool for days and have at least two more full days of it left before I leave for my last big show of the year. Maybe THEN I can get back to sewing for me!

AnnieO said...

Folk art has that whimsy we all love, the handcrafted quirks really add to it. The baskets look great, despite the swearing and unsewing required :) Daisy is a funny girl!

libbyquilter said...

what a cute blog you have~!!~

we've been enjoying a lovely fall season this year too but last night our rain turned to snow and now everything is "frosted" with a smooth white layer~!
the good news: it will likely melt before the end of the day~!

i think i have basket envy now . . .

:-)
libbyQ