Saturday, October 30, 2010

Indian Summer is now over and fall has returned in all its glory. Here's a peek out of the dining room window.
This morning found us raking leaves. Raking and raking and raking. The bed of our pickup was filled four times for a trip over to the town drop-off spot. Our work-out is done for the day. By morning, you will not be able to tell what we had done.
Darling Daisy is getting ready for the changes in season, too. Here she sports her new Gentle Leader.
No, it is not a muzzle. It works like a horse halter and gives easy control to the human holding the leash. Daisy is a great walker but she is still a puppy at heart. Remember this photo? Daisy is ever on squirrel patrol. When we are outdoors, she is quick to bolt into action. Wet leaves are slicker than sn*t. Once the leaves are gone, ice will be right behind. To protect life and limb all while assuring Daisy daily walks, we made the decision to add the Gentle Leader to our arsenal.
She is trying her very best to look miserable and pitiful. Yet she is not restricted in any way. Quickly, she learned that she could still eats treats just fine. All is well.
The stocking that The Quilter knitted for me has been felted. Truth be told, I was a little nervous about the procedure. And from the looks of this -
with good reason. The red dye let go as soon as the sock hit the water. *yikes* I watched carefully to make sure that the color was not being picked up in the white stripes.
After about 15-20 minutes of agitating by hand in the sink, I was ready to enjoy the result.
In person, it looks more felt-y than the photo. The individual stitches are not as evident to the naked eye. Thanks again to Paula for her beautiful and generous work.
On the quilting front, I assembled the top for Soot and Ashes yesterday.
I took the 'liberty' of starting to place some of the applique though the instructions are not yet given. Even I can manage a vine and some berries without a pattern.
Dinner is in the crock pot. We'll get a nice fire rolling in the fireplace and pop in a movie or watch something stored on the dvr and I'll happily stitch away on the applique. My kinda Saturday night.

17 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Your Saturday night sounds wonderful and so cozy. I don't understand how the halter (this dog is not as happy as the last time lol) can help keep the humans from slipping all over the place..?

Melanie said...

Daisy emailed Ransom--- She's not impressed but doesn't want to hurt your feelings..... ;)I know discipline makes a better dog, but it's tough on Moms. Love the soot and ashes pieces. I wasn't a fan of it at first, but when I saw it all together-- I wish I had played. Have fun....

Sharon said...

Sounds like life is good over at Plain and Simple. Yes, it is time to pull out the crock pot. The leaves have just started falling here in the NW. Things are still blooming!

julieQ said...

What a lovely view from your window! We are not quite at the yellow stages in fall color yet. Your dog is so sweet, and I know just fine with her new halter! I really like your Soot and ashes...I am still making blocks...

Chocolate Cat said...

Love the felted stocking! Jimmy has a 'gentle leader' halter as well and it is wonderful. I was worried about using it but it doesn't worry him at all and stops him pulling.

Betweens said...

just like us with training wheels we start somewhere and learn. my Brit had started with a `halty`as well it does just that halts them from taking off...and yes I suffered those puppy dog eyes but in the end they learn in a short time and then it gets handed down to the next puppy.
Puppy`s don`t like things pressing on their nose so it stops them from foraging ahead and pulling us with them..it is as you say `gentle`
Daisy is happy i am sure cause of all the love she gets..she is so very very lucky to be young and chasing squirrels mine used to now she elegantly watches on the porch (14 in Nov)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Your right, Daisy does look sad and pitiful in that pic! The sock is cute and your soot and ashes is really cute!

Kim said...

What a nice Saturday. :) I use the Gentle Leader for Lucy ~ same pitiful face, lol, but it works very well for us, too. The wool sock turned out real nice. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Karen said...

I had started making Cherie's blocks but was not happy with my fabric choice. Today when I was looking in stash for something else, I found a couple fat quarters that might work better. The applique will make the quilt so interesting.

Dixie said...

The view from your window is gorgeous! Daisy is such a doll. Your Saturday sounds great - we just finished a Netflix while I appliqued and now are having a beef stew supper. Supposed to rain tomorrow. Just love this time of year!

quiltmom said...

Beautiful on all accounts Libby - well except maybe for Daisy and her gentle halter. Dogs do try and look as pitiful as they can when all one is doing is trying to keep everyone safe. LOL She looks pretty and innocent- like she is saying Me Maw_ I never would misbehave...
The quilt is gorgeous and so are the leaves out the window.
We had our first snowfall last weekend but it didn't last which was nice. We hope to have a few weeks grace before the snow is here to stay.
Have a lovely Saturday evening.
Regards,
Anna

Loris said...

Love the window view of your beautiful trees. I love this time of year! And poor Miss Daisy. I used the Gentle Leader for years with my 2 goldens...they would have never been able to go for walks without it because I couldn't seem to manage the (horrible) choke collar like the dog trainer...so they just smiled and walked like good citizens. Now I'm using the Easy Walk which is a harness made by the same company and walk 3 big dogs that all have the same lovely trait of going completely crazy sometimes (not always) when we walk past other dogs. Yes...I'm working on my best Dog Whisperer skills so we make progress all the time. The harness clips in the front like the GL so they aren't as tempted to pull and when they do, they can't really get their strength into it. Both tools from this company are just genious! Anything to save my from choke collars...I hated those things!
Your felted sock and Soots & Ashes look wonderful. Still need to get busy on mine but I have been sewing pretty florals for my mom in the meantime.
Enjoy those beautiful walks!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Sounds like an absolutely perfect fall evening! Our son and his wife use a gentle leader with their black lab., makes walks (and Diesel) so much happier! Love your Soot and Ashes project.

Lori said...

My friend uses the gentle leader with her retriever and it works fantastic. I'm not sure why they dont like it:)
I've been waiting patiently for the soot & ashes directions so I can get back to it. I never thought about just moving ahead:) You are so smart!!

Carol said...

I used a Gentle Leader with Howie and Zack...saved me from going head over heels many times when walking the 2 of them by myself. Zack goes nuts when he sees squirrels and birds, Howie goes nuts when Zack does...I didn't stand a chance. Made them much better walkers. Made everyone happy!

Finn said...

Sounds perfect to me! Hugs, Finn

Stephanie D. said...

I've never heard of that Gentle Leader before, but looks like something that might work with Tandi.