Monday, October 25, 2010

We are getting ready to enjoy a day or so of Indian Summer here in New England. In California, I always thought of Indian Summer as the warm sunny days that come every September, October and November. I had no idea there was an exact definition. No matter - I plan to enjoy it when it arrives.
In my neighborhood, we are at about 50% color right now.
I think sunset hour is the most beautiful time of day. Everything just takes on a golden glow. No description in word or film can express just how beautiful it is.
This is also the time of year when the wildlife is getting ready for the winter months. This brings on a high form of entertainment in our house -
Squirrel Watch 2010. The critters must be monitored. Daisy has appointed herself 'Captain of the Watch.' She brings Hubby along as her wing man. They both take their assignment very seriously.
Today felt like a 'kitchen day' to me. I fixed Shepherd's Pie for dinner tonight. Doesn't it feel great to have your day's meals made and the mess all cleared long before lunch? I'll just pop it in the oven to heat through and crisp up the topping.
It's also apple season in these parts. I picked up a bag at the market and made up some apple coffee cake with about half of the bag.
The house smells great and we have breakfasts for days to come.
On the quilting front, I got those Folkart Gathering baskets all assembled and handles appliqued in place. Now on to the remaining applique for the rest of Block 2.
Even though I have the pattern for Block 3 on hand, I can hardly wait for Block 4 to come out. Better get stitchin', I want to be ready when it happens.

20 comments:

Beth said...

Today here in SoCal we are expecting Santa Ana winds. I love when we get wind, I guess I'm weird. It just tells me it's autumn here I guess. Daisy is so cute on the lookout for squirrels. She is getting so big! Oh my gosh, can I fly back to your house for dinner? Sounds yummy!

paula, the quilter said...

Wow, great minds and all that. I have company at the moment and was contemplating what to fix for supper tonight. Is it supper or dinner? Anyway, I had decided on Hamburger Pie (as I call it). Have you felted the stocking yet?

Quilt Hollow said...

Your photo is absolutely wonderful....absolutely!! I also chuckled to read they were squirrel watching as it went along with a movie recently so my hubby keeps saying that as though distracted! ARGH!

julieQ said...

We have leaves coming down...no real color yet, though...we are much further south than you. Enjoy those little critters...aren't you glad you have a critter patrol??? Love your quilt! Love it!!

Carol said...

I just love the squirrel watch picture! They are very serious! Your apple cake looks yummy...I think I can smell it! YUMMERS!

Gail said...

Love the photo of the squirrel watchers! I was expecting you to say they were watching football! The baskets are coming along, can't wait to see the finished project.

Kelly Ann said...

We always went apple picking when we lived up there...I'd make chunky apple sauce and freeze it, what a perfect surprise on the plate in the dead of winter.

Rhonda said...

Here in central Texas, we just had a tornado that did major damage to one of the brand new middle schools....definitely a bummer.
As for the squirrels...boy are they in high gear here, storing nuts and just about anything else they can carry.
Your dinner and dessert sound yummy!!!

Karen said...

I wish I had interest in cooking in the kitchen like you do.

Karen said...

over achiever! I still have to finish block one, and just looked at block 2 today.
loved the picture of the squirrel monitoring. At least they show an interest in your house, unlike here at mine :-)
Dinner and breakfast(s) look delish!
Off to gather my things...see you tomorrow, sometime around 11am!
Karen

WoolenSails said...

I love indian summers, hope it stays that way;)
Love the quilt, beautiful fabrics.

Debbie

Cathi said...

Aren't these Indian Summer days extra special? We were close to 70 today with more of the same for tomorrow. I love it when we get these little treats of warm days this late in the year.

anne bebbington said...

I just love that photo of man and dog - the look of expectation on their faces is priceless

Finn said...

As always, all the yummies are at your house! Wish I lived closer to watch Daisy watch squirrels. My golden boy, Daks, was absolutely convinced they wanted to play and always ran to greet them..but alas, they just run up the tree and chatter at you..poor Daks. Tail wagging furiously, he tried to climb the tree to play, just couldn't get that butt off the ground...LOL
It's been such a delight to watch you fall into the rhythm of our 4 (or more) seasons world. It's like watching a child discover the joy of snowflakes. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feeling with us through this past year. Big hugs, Finn

McIrish Annie said...

your baskets look awesome! we have squirrel watch here as well. Hollly and Mr. B are ever vigilant at the slider.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a cute photo of the critter watchers! So glad to hear you are enjoying the fall colours around your new home. I just love the beautiful leaves here...and the light they bring. But then I feel so sad when they fall down :(

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I'll bet those squirrels don't get away with anything around your place. Cute photo! Shepherd's Pie and Apple Crisp... oh, YUM!

Carole said...

I love fall! We've has some warms days here in upstate NY! Unusual, I would say, but much appreciated. It's a delight to sit outside enjoying a latte! Looks like you're moving along nicely on that quilt! I've been putting pressure on myself to get small projects done as fall shoppe decorations. They are done... onward to winter! lol Enjoy dinner! Cheers!

yellowfarmhouse said...

Dang that picture of Daisy on squirrel patrol is a hoot. They take their jobs very serious about keeping an eye on those pesky things. We have 3 young ones that seem to like to hang out and run and play up and down the trees and jumping from the bird feeder to the tree and back again. Drives Ms. Cami nuts, lol. Your cake looks super yummy any left, lol.

Hugs-Karen

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I'd love to see your version of an Indian Summer. I'm sure it's beautiful. Loved the squirrel watch photo too :-)
Blessings,
Marcia