Thursday, November 11, 2010

11-11. Hubby and my favorite number. The one we notice on the clock and call each other. Just one of the those funny things that you don't know how they start but before you know it, it's part of your daily life. So just imagine the fun when the date 11-11 rolls around.
But silliness aside, November 11 is an important day on the calendar. It is Veteran's Day and it is with pride that I share a photo of my favorite veterans.
This picture was taken when The Princess completed basic training in the Air Force. There was a seven month time span just prior to Hubby retiring from the USMC that the two of them were on active duty at the same time. Thank you to all the men and women that sacrifice so much for our freedom.
On the quilting front, it seems like I haven't had much to share of late. Most everything I'm currently working on is being done by hand. Satisfying work, but not much progress to share. I have all the wool applique placed for stitching on Soot and Ashes.
Then as if to point out that I don't have enough irons in the fire, I was enticed by the Home for the Holidays blog hop.
I could not resist the design offered by Cheri Payne. And a little bit like Santa, got straight to my work.
The top is pieced, applique stitched. Now to add the embroidery embellishments.
But all that is on hold for the next five days. There is GREAT excitement around our house. This afternoon, The California Girls arrive in New England. Three of my quilting pals are flying out for a what I hope will be a whole lot of fun. I hardly got any sleep last night in anticipation. I just received a text that they are on their way . . . . and me still here in my pj's.
Lots to do. Be back with tales from our adventures.

18 comments:

Lori said...

I love our veterans!!

I was tempted by Cheri's blog hop project but resisted. I love yours and the border is so much fun!!
Your soot and ashes is coming along nicely! I love it!

Have a wonderful time with your friends!!

Juliann said...

Wow - you did get right to work on the Cheri quilt. It is calling my name too.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love your version of Cheri's holiday quilt! And have a wonderful time with your friends. Just over a week now and my house will be full of kids and boyfriends and husbands! It is going to be crazy!

Shakerwood said...

Boy, I knew you were starting it right away but almost FINISHED right away!?

I hope you all have just the most fun for the next few days. Remember you can sleep after they leave! Daisy can guard the fort while you are all out playing.

Don't forget to take pictures at Dorr Mill for me!

Kim said...

Happy days! Enjoy your time with your CA quilter pals - what a fun weekend ahead. :-D

Sharon said...

Yes, this is a special day. Looks like lots is going on in your world, have fun with your gal pals!

ROZ said...

Great photo! Love the quilts. funny 11:11 PM was my husband's favorite bedtime

sewprimitive karen said...

What a wonderful husband and daughter! Have a great time with your CA friends :-).

Glayra said...

just droppin by.. cool contents... simple but thoughtful... can we exchange links?

my blog http://glaiyzexistence.blogspot.com/

quiltsbycheri said...

I'm jealous ..... know you ladies will have too much fun!!!

quiltdolls said...

saw this quilt of cheris the free one at the country loft today. It is really small, but beautiful.

AnnieO said...

Your veterans do resemble each other a lot! Proud wife and mom, for sure.

Hope you have tons of fun with your posse from CA--just what you needed :)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

God bless your family who sacrifice everything to ensure our freedom. Your show and tell is inspiring, as always. Have fun with your best buds, can't wait for a full report!

Stina said...

Oh... looks fab... Libby... both your soot&ash quilt and the blog hop-one.. wonder if I can squeeze it in before christmas..:o)

Karen said...

How proud you are of your two veterans. And I thank them for their service for our country. How is Princess doing without you?

McIrish Annie said...

Wowwza!! hope the weather is cooperative and you can show them the "nice" New England!!! have a super time. See if you can entice any of them to move here so we can add to our Folk Art Gals!!

Can't wait to see you on the 21st

Angie said...

Oh I hope you have a blast with your CA quilting pals!! What an awesome 'gift'. :) That's a handsome couple of veterans.

Rhonda said...

Salute to all Vets!
Oh my, I thought I couldn't say no to new projects.....LOL....you can do this...PJs and all!
Take care.