Friday, November 19, 2010

At the end of my last post, I was trying to get out of my pj's and get ready for a whole lot of fun. And what a whole lot of fun was had. Three friends from California flew out to spend a few days here in New England - sightseeing, catching up and having general merriment. I believe that we were more than successful.
I came up with a list of places to go and things to do - a very full agenda that kept us on the move. First up was a trip to Old Sturbridge Village.
Much to our delight, there is a featured display of quilts. We spent a lot of time looking them over and dreaming of how we could possibly recreate one or two of the designs. The display continues through June 2011. It was a full day exploring the village and learning a little about colonial life in the mid 19th century.
Saturday found us on the road bright and early. The first stop of the day was The Vermont County Store.There is a lot of nostalgic merchandise packed into that store. Everywhere you turn you hear exclamations of, "oh, I remember this . . . " No time to waste, though. We had to get back on the road for the next stop - Dorr Mill Store.
Oh my! What a lot of wool. I've never seen so much all in one place. So taken by it all, I forgot to take any pictures. But I did not forget to make purchases! I picked up some yardage to try my hand at a quilt and a penny rug project. Could have stayed longer, but we had an agenda and a timetable.
Next stop - Keepsake Quilting. Yes, that Keepsake Quilting. The one with the catalog. I don't know that I would go so far as to say that the shop was on anyone's 'bucket list' but it is fun to be able to say, "Keepsake Quilting, oh, I've been there." As a bonus, in the same center was a shop called Hitching Post Primitives. Picked up some goodies there. Seems that it is a fairly new shop. I'm hoping that their website will be expanded for shopping. So many things that are right up my alley in that little spot.
A quick stop for dinner and we headed back home and quickly tucked ourselves into bed. Sunday would bring another full day. We caught the commuter train into Boston while humming a little tune.

You would think that we would have been getting tired - but oh no. We walked The Freedom Trail. There is an awful lot of history to be found in New England. Much of it of great historical significance, but there is pop culture, too.
The Omni Parker House provided the perfect spot to rest a little and enjoy an afternoon treat.
The site of both the invention of Boston Creme Pie and the Parker House roll. The perfect snack to give us the *ooomph* to hurry back to the station to catch the train just before it pulled away.
Monday came with the respite from travel, but no less of a full day. During our travels we learned that one among us had never prepared a holiday turkey with fixin's. Well, that just wouldn't do. So we stayed home and made a meal worthy of any Thanksgiving table - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy and fresh cranberry sauce.
You know there is a lot of downtime once that turkey goes in the oven. So we pulled out fabrics and stitched up a remembrance of our time together. This is my prototype, quilted and bound, destined to be a hostess gift at our upcoming Thanksgiving.
And here is the one I stitched with my friends.
If you would like to make one for yourself, here's how.

I did not have that particular tool, but a little creative internet research and you'll be able to locate a template if you don't have one yourself.
With stitching done, it was time for dinner.
You can see that it was a great success. Every plate on the table was clean as a whistle when dinner was through.
Tuesday came all too soon. But I don't think we could have possibly packed another minute of fun into our time together. I do miss those gals terribly, but hope to see them again real soon. There's lots more adventures to be had.
In the meantime, remember those quilts on display at OSV?
This little crib quilt may not seem particularly stunning or complex, but it has been the perfect inspiration.
I got out the wool yardage I picked up over the weekend and started stitching. Working with wool in this way is a new and exciting experience. Time for me to get away from the computer and back to the sewing machine.

23 comments:

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Oh! The Dorr Mill Store-my favorite. When I was little my Mom and my aunts, with us cousins along for the ride, would hit that store and a mill store that used to be in the Lawrence mills (it's not there anymore sadly). My Mom and aunts would stick up on a lot of fabric for back to school clothes and other projects. I used to love that day while my sister and my cousins hated it.

Sharon said...

What a wonderful visit. I'll have to go back and check out the links you provided. Love the turkey, now I want to stitch one for a hostess gift for Thanksgiving dinner.

Shakerwood said...

It must have taken you all morning to write that post! Thanks for sharing. It sounds wonderful. Can't wait until I can visit Dorr Mill in person!!

Rana said...

Oh, how I love the Vermont Country Store! Only been there once, but that was enough to get me (and my guy) hooked for life. And Keepsake, yeah I will say that I've been there too.

Angie said...

Oh my goodness, I had such a good time on this 'visit' that I feel like I was actually there. :D You are a fabulous hostess, Libby...and I adore the Dresden turkey remembrance.

Karen said...

I thought Sturbridge had quilts on display all the time. I was there quite a few years ago.
That Dresden Turkey sure is getting around. He is popping up here and there in Blogland. I am going to try my hand at one.

paula, the quilter said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! It's funny you had the Kingston Trio on your post. For some reason, I've been alternating humming between The Reverend Mr. Black and Desert Pete. Go figure.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh man! Would I have loved to be there with you! What a great time you had. I would have loved every stop. Those dresden turkey's are way too cute!

quiltmom said...

What a jam packed visit of lots of fun things- I have always thought that the Boston area had lots of fantastic places of interest. Keepsake Quilting would have been high on my list too Libby.
I love the Dresden turkey- so very fun- Here in Canada we have had Thanksgiving but perhaps he could be a Christmas turkey.. LOL
It looks like you have lots of great things to remember until you visit with your California sisters again..
Thanks for sharing your fun trip together- one can't beat time spent with great friends.
Regards.
Anna

Sue said...

Sound like you have had a wonderful visit with friends and like minds.
If you get up into Vermont again their is a fabulous quilt shop called Country Treasure's in Chester. Jam packed with repro's and homespuns. Its one of the first places I head for when I am in New England from OLD England.
The Dorr Mill will be on my hit list next time I am over.

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh boy what a good time you had, what wonderful places to go! And what was that, a spherical Boston creme pie?? Divine.

Kathie said...

oh love that turkey so fun!
glad your having a great visit.
you chose lots of fun places to go to in NE I can't wait to get to the Dorr Mill Store...one day soon I hope
Kathie

Lori said...

It sounds like such a wonderful time with dear friends!!! I adore the turkey and am hoping to make my own version.
I love your flying geese and the colors!!

WoolenSails said...

You hit all of my favorite places;)
Great day to spend the day with friends.
The Hitching Post must be new, wasn't there when we went. I did like the yarn store next door, they carry the type I use. If you love prims and antiques, we have a store at the north end, not sure if I told you about it?

Debbie

julieQ said...

Oh, I want to come shopping with you next time!! Keepsake quilting...wow...and I am officially in love with the red and white geese quilt!

Julie in the Barn said...

You are the best tour guide ever, Libby. I can't wait until I can make a trip "back east" to see the sights with you. I adore your turkey. Great hostess gift idea. Happy turkey day to you and your fella and Daisy. And the Princess, too.

AnnieO said...

Wow, I want you as my tour guide when I make it to the East Coast! What a whole lotta fun you ladies all had. Love the new wool project :)

suz said...

I'm so excited you discovered Dorr Mill. The next time you go, let me know and I'll tell you about a yarn shop just down the street that has to be experienced, even if you don't knit. Keep an eye out for Keepsake's summer sale - another unique experience. Also, stop in Meredith next time - wonderful shops in the mill. Sounds like you guys really packed a ton of stuff in!

MARCIE said...

What a great wool project! And different than what we mostly do with wool these days. So glad you had your friends to cheer you up for a few days. And what? no Daisy photo?

Sweet P said...

Wow! What a wonderful visit with friends. I love the idea of cooking the holiday meal. I agree you on Keepsake Quilting. Been there, done that, not in a hurry to do it again. Except that it's a beautiful drive up there in the fall.

McIrish Annie said...

you should be a tour guide! I've lived here my whole life and you have been to Sturbridge village at least 2 more times than me! love the turkey!!

and charlie on the MTA. classic!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

SOunds like a wonderful women's weekend! Great that you could see your old friends and enjoy time together! That's quite an itinerary you followed! You must be exhausted!

knitsandroses said...

Hello, I just found your lovely blog. Any opportunity to get the pattern for your simple girl block? I'd love to make a variation of it. Really nice blog.