Monday, November 29, 2010


Wow! That was f-a-s-t! Thanksgiving and the long weekend are over in just a *blink* of an eye. But before we jump headlong into all things Christmas, I want to go back and share the weekend.
Hubby and I were invited to join cousins, a great uncle and aunt, and their extended families for Thanksgiving in Vermont. Oh Vermont! Easily my favorite spot here in the east. We got on the turnpike (with much of the rest of the Massachusetts population) in the morning after a leisurely breakfast on Thursday. Good news was that much of traffic dissipated at the junction to go into Connecticut.
The weather was beautiful but quite cold. Much colder than even at home, where it has been plenty cold - thank-you-very-much. We stopped on the way to check in at the Inn we would be staying at and then enjoyed one of the most delightful Thanksgivings in recent memory. It was a very special day.
Rather than join in on all the Black Friday hoopla - okay, how much 'hoopla' can there be in rural Vermont? - we planned for a leisurely day on Friday which began with a local craft show and sale. It was quite local but we did come home with a little something.
Don't you think that pull-toy would be perfect for a little cowboy?
Next we went back to Middlebury for a stroll around the downtown. I had my first ever Ben Franklin store experience. A little something for everyone! I hope it won't be my last.
It seems that of the places that we visit, Hubby and I enjoy 'college towns' the most. Middlebury is no exception. Much of the town's history is evident in the buildings but a youthful, modern vibe from the student population keeps it feeling fresh and alive. This beautiful river flows right through the center of town.
We found the ice crystals that were forming from the mist to be beautiful and fascinating, too.
Then there was this 'door of mystery'.
The door marked '9' appears to have good street access, but what about the door above it? I hope no sleepwalkers live there!
We visited the National Museum of the Morgan Horse. In the little town where I grew up, all girls of a certain age were 'horse crazy'. We read every book about horses we could get our hands on, drew pictures of horses on our book covers - you know, the book covers made from cut up brown paper grocery bags and a few lucky girls had a horse of their very own. So this was a must stop spot for me. As luck would have it, I found a copy of Justin Morgan Had a Horse to add to our home library. I wonder how many times Hubby has heard me mention that book over the years?
In the late afternoon we stopped in for a latte at a local coffee shop (Starbucks is NOT on every or any corner for that matter) before heading back to the Inn where we spent some time in the lobby. I had my hand-sewing and Hubby entertained us both with articles from the local newspaper before we finished the day with dinner at the inn's restaurant.
Saturday morning we woke to some little snow flurries. I don't think snow falling from the sky will ever become old for me. It's just magical. Before we knew it, it was time to get on the road and head south again. We took a different and quite scenic route home. Passed by the original Vermont Country Store location and stopped in at the Yankee Candle Flagship store in Deerfield, MA.
Once we were home, it took a while to get the house warm. We'll leave the thermostat set a little higher the next time we have a weekend get-away when the temps are low outside. Thank goodness we have plenty of quilts on hand. Add in some hot chocolate and The Sound of Music on dvd (did you know the Von Trapp family has a Vermont connection?) It was a great weekend, over far too quickly. But no time to think about that, time to start decking the halls and wrapping gifts . . . . only 26 days left until Christmas.

15 comments:

AnnieO said...

A weekend trip--sounds heavenly! I don't think seeing snow fall or viewing a river running through a town would ever get old to California girls :) Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving tale!

Diane said...

goodness Libby you sent me down memory lane with this post. We used to have Ben Franklin stores around here when I was a kid, would save my allowance and while my mom grocery shopped we were allowed to go in and shop. I would spend the whole time trying to figure out how to make my few dollars go as far as possible! :)
I was horse crazy too (still am) and read all the horse books in the school library. Justin Morgan had a Horse was one. And I was one of the lucky girls who actually had a horse (and she was 1/2 Morgan too!)
Although I grew up here in PA and have always known snow I'm still not tired of it. It's magic, beautiful-great climate for a quiltmaker and a big storm forces me to stay home and slow down.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Sounds like you had a more relaxing weekend than I did. 21 at my house for Thanksgiving! I love Vermont too. Hubby went to college there, but not at Middlebury. Someday you'll have to stay at the Von Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe-it's spectacular.

Sue said...

Oh Libby, You just transported me to my favorite place in the USA except I have never been in winter- Its on the bucket list. I know what you mean about Middlebury it is a charming town like stepping back in time. The Von Trapp Lodge is certainly a nice place to stay and must be magical at this time of year.
Thanks for sharing.
Sue in the Cotswolds of England.

Quilter Kathy said...

Vermont is indeed a magical place! We try to get there in the winter for skiing. And this year...for the first time, some of my friends are planning to attend the quilt festival in June...can't wait!

Shakerwood said...

Sounds like a wonderful, idealic weekend. I visited Vermont once with my younger brother and grandparents . . . .in the summer . . . I was 9 years old.

Karen said...

Gee, that sounds like a lovely trip with lots of interesting things you saw and did.
We used to have Ben Franklin stores around Florida. Craft stores. Is that what it is where you shopped? I was in one in Virginia that had a lunch counter like the old five and dime stores.

Anne said...

Your weekend sounds like a magical time. I love to get off the main roads and into the towns that really make us the good ol USA! Glad you had such a good time.

quiltmom said...

Hi Libby,
It sounds like a lovely weekend-It was pleasant here and while Canadians don't celebrate Thanksgiving in November( our T. Holiday is in October) I did have American Thanksgiving dinner with some family friends. The food was lovely and the company excellent. We had our meal on Saturday evening. Glad the weather was enjoyable enough to add to the ambiance.
We went to visit Stowe Vermont in the early 80's ( my husband had an aunt and uncle who lived in the Eastern Townships of Quebec) so it was a quick journey to Stowe. It is a really pretty place and home to the Von Trapps. The Sound of Music was one of the first films my grandparents took me too when I was a kid. Lots of great memories for me.
Have a great week.
Regards,
Anna

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I loved reading all of this post. I've never seen Vermont except in pictures, but I've always wanted to go there. It sounds like you have a wonderful Thanksgiving :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Lori said...

Wow! I've never been to Vermont and loved seeing your photos and hearing about your trip.

McIrish Annie said...

the perfect NE thanksgiving! You were brave to hit Yankee Candle on the Tday weekend. Stopped there many times on our way back and forth to get Alex at college.

Dixie said...

So happy you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving always seems like such an East Coast holiday to me - must be the pilgrim thing so glad you are getting to experience it. Our daughter Holly spent Thanksgiving in New Jersey with some of her New York friends. I was cracking up when I saw the "burning man" all the 20-somethings built, and then set on fire after Thanksgiving!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

suz said...

sounds like you had a lovely Thanksgiving. I adore that area of Vermont and I've always wanted to stop at that Museum but passed it heading somewhere else. Glad you got to try out Ben Franklin. There is one in Raymond NH (a bit closer to you) that has fabric sales periodically that are very good! My folks used to visit the Trapp Family Lodge every year - my dad is from Austria and my grandmother and Frau Maria would have nice long chats.