Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Putting up decorations has been an interesting process this year. We had not been in this house very long at Christmas-time last year and I was still trying to unpack everyday household items. In some ways, I was just going through the motions and I didn't even get many photos of how it looked. This year I've decided to take more pictures and share a few more, too.
This is the tree in the family room.
We bought this tree in 2008 not knowing that would be the only Christmas it would be used in California. I am so glad that at the very last moment I chose the 8 1/2' tree rather than the 10' *whew*
We also have a tree in the dining room.
All the ornaments on this tree are animals.
In a brief flash of creativity, I started placing holiday cards on the gate above the fireplace.
Is it kismet that so far all the cards are 'landscape-oriented'?
I came up with a fun way to display some smaller Christmas quilts.
3M Command Poster Adhesive Strips made it easy to do - no holes in the wall or the quilts and no need for hanging sleeves either.
One wall in the hallway is large enough to accommodate two quilts.
I like to add something new each year.
We picked up this gourd snowman while in Vermont for Thanksgiving.
All of these new things have kept the curiosity level on 'high' for Daisy.
Looks like she's peeking down the stairs to see if Santa has arrived yet.
All of this decorating activity has not stopped the regular chores.
I am continually amazed at how two fairly neat adults are able to generate SO many dirty clothes each week! That basket, as you can see, is filled to overflowing and nary a towel or sheet set in sight.
I've been stitching away on my hexagons. Only 12 diamonds left to go and lots of Christmas movies still to be watched. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting ever brighter.

24 comments:

AnnieO said...

Your house looks all ready for holidaying! Thanks for the tip on hanging those small wall quilts.

The laundry is easily explained: you are wearing thick sweaters, layers, jeans and lots of socks--all of which are bulky. Not like SoCalif where you are in capris, lightweight tops and sweaters and maybe a pair or two of socks a week! Last night DH unloaded his basket on the bed and Mini the cat immediately jumped in the empty laundry basket. She was still there hours later!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Love your trees. I usually have three or four trees up every year but this year I only put up my main big tree in the great room. Just couldn't get into it and the thought of taking it all down in January held me back. My three fireplace mantels look great so I'm gald I got those decorated.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a beautiful home you have created! Everything looks just perfect for Christmas!

Loris said...

Your home looks lovely! Merry Christmas :-)

Karen said...

You have way more Christmas quilts than I do. I have to remedy that. I like the way you displayed the small quilts above the doors. I would like to see all of the Christmas quilts in person but you live too far away!

Angie said...

Your house/trees/quilts and just beautiful, Libby!! I would love to be spending Christmas there with you. :D Daisy is so cute looking for Santa. :) I was just telling my two how good they're being---they know Santa only comes for good pups. *s*

Lori said...

I wish I had room for several trees. Yours look wonderful and everything is so festive!!

sewprimitive karen said...

It all looks so pretty. Only 12 more hexagons? Can't wait to see the next few!

Karen said...

So warm and inviting! I spied St. Nick and reminded myself I really do need to pull that kit out and get it done for NEXT year! And do tell, please, what is the quilt hanging behind the lovely Miss Daisy?? I just have to know :-)
Karen

Sherrill said...

I love that quilt hanging behind your dining room tree--I know I've seen that pattern before but it escapes me. A clue, please? LOL Thanks!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

So pretty, love your wall quilt display! My husband and I keep the washer and dryer busy too!

julieQ said...

I really love your trees...and all your decor! I know what you mean about the laundry...never ending!!

dee said...

The house looks beautiful(except the laundry of course) and darling Daisy looks so sweet.

Wendy said...

I wish I had more room for an extra tree, yours look so lovely. The quilts are gorgeous, I really like the red 9 patch on the wall.

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

I want every single one of your Christmas quilts! LOL I love the gourd snowman too! Have you ever planted gourds before? Do you know what type of gourd he's made out of? I would really like to plant some gourds like that one for crafts and just drying for displays but I have no clue what kind they are.

Julie in the Barn said...

I've used that sticky foam tape that comes in a little roll to hang lots of light weight things but never thought to use it on little quilts. I usually go the push pin route. Your house is looking so festive and countryfied. I just love your decorating style. I'm still resisting the hexagon thing but I do need to find a hand sewing project before winter really sets in. I think I need to baste one of my UFOs and start hand quilting again.

Barb said...

Your decorations are wonderful, so homey and warm. Your Daisy is so cute!
Happy Holidays - oh, and I love the red christmas quilt!

WoolenSails said...

The house looks wonderful.
I am only using soft ornaments and not really paying attention to how I put them. I know it will be on the floor over night;)

Debbie

MARCIE said...

I always love your house tours! Aren't those little 3-M thingies great! Cute display of small quilts!

Maureen said...

Quilts everywhere! I love it! Great idea to hang quilts with those 3M thingys. That's the first I've heard of doing that. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Dixie said...

You little quilts are so cute, and you have a wonderful collection of Christmas quilts and decorations. I have a kitchen tree on the counter this year with kitchen ornaments on it. Hope your daughter gets to join you soon!

Stina said...

Merry Christmas to you!!!!
Always a pleasure to look at your quilts.. some I have seen some are new.. but all fantastic..:O)
Especially loved the one with red/white nine patches and appliqued hat and reindeers.. is it a new one made??

Daniëlle said...

Love your decorations!!! Ohhhh your Daisy is so cute!!! Enjoy the Holidays!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh all your decorations and xmas quilts look so wonderful! I want you to come decorate my house! Oh and give me your quilts...!!!