All Aboard! Now departing - The Finish Line Train.
Well, finish-line such as it is. I am dangerously close to completing the top of Martha Washington's Flower Garden. It was in a post exactly two years ago where I first mentioned starting this quilt and I have been sharing plenty of progress updates in the interim.
A few weeks back, I thought I had pieced my last diamond and had a little celebration. Now I have found that due to a terrible counting error on my part, I was actually 5 diamonds short of a top. One down and four to go with all the pieces cut and ready to baste.
Another lesson learned along the way is to be flexible. No mention on the inspiration website of the size of the hexagon pieces, only the finished quilt dimensions. So I did what I do best - gathered up what seemed like a TON of fabric and got to work. It was easy to add in another plaid or two or three or four or . . . along the way and work them in throughout the entire top. What didn't work out quite so well was the fabric I had chosen for the path or connector pieces. It is from an older line of fabric and not readily available. When I first decided to use it, I bought all that was available at my LQS. Fearing that it may not be enough to finish, I began an online search and order campaign that resulted in more than enough fabric to make the back of the quilt but none that was an exact match for the top.
If you look carefully -
you can see that I am now using the nearest match to the original to finish up my last row of diamonds. I am not at all put off by the look. If it were an antique quilt, we would think that perhaps the dyes had faded in that area for some reason or that the maker was a clever, make-do pioneer woman. We would applaud her artistic and frugal choice. While I hope it looks like a casual change over, I put a lot of thought and planning into just where the new fabric would make it's appearance.
If I keep my nose to the grindstone and my eyes on the prize, I believe that I could put the last stitches in while watching the Oscar ceremony tomorrow night. I will then have to put it aside while I order batting. The batting I have on hand is a 90" queen-size. The top measures 90" x 107", so I need to order a king. In the meantime I can put together the backing and there is always this waiting in the wings.
When you get an itch, scratch it!
5 hours ago