Saturday, April 16, 2011

Where, oh where has my camera cord gone?* And a few other choice items, too. We have settled into our temporary digs - a two bedroom apartment that is serving not only as a living space but a storage unit as well. We have taken up residence in one bedroom and the living room. The rest of the space is holding ALL of our worldly belongings (minus the things we already know didn't arrive in our shipment *argh*)
Here you can see that the garage is stuffed to the gills with only a narrow aisle to pass through. The second bedroom looks the same. A few boxes are even serving as occasional tables, artfully draped with quilts to disguise what the really are.
I had BIG plans to use this time of temporary residence to get some quilting done. HA! After carefully packing projects and associated supplies, it came to me that in a box somewhere (refer to photo above) is my iron. I wouldn't even know where to begin.
That brought me back to quilting the hexagons. Plenty of work there to keep me busy, if only I had not lost my thimble. You never know just how attached you are to your thimble until it is gone. It really was THE perfect thimble. I have purchase five different replacements over the course of the last three weeks. While one is a suitable substitute, I will continue to look for that perfect fit again.
So my days are mostly filled with getting outside and exploring some of my favorite old haunts and introducing Daisy to a lot of new places. The weather has been just splendid almost every day.
Several times a week we go to the beach for a nice walk. The sound of the waves is soothing to me. The squirrels grazing on the dunes makes Daisy feel at home.
We spotted these Sweet Peas growing in a front yard garden. If only you could smell them, too. They are my favorite flower, a lot of special memories are tied to these little beauties.
Don't these guys look a little bored? Maybe they could come down and help me find my missing items. A win/win for all.

*today's photos brought to you courtesy of my cell phone camera . . . the cord will show up eventually

20 comments:

dee said...

That phone takes really good pictures.
Take many deep breaths-You've had a lot to deal with and just keep reminding yourself,
there's no place like home, there's no place like home....

Lori said...

It's nice to be able to get out and about and leave the boxes at home!! It sure looks like spring!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I certainly hope there's no important quilting stuff in those missing boxes! I'm jealous of those beach pictures.

WoolenSails said...

Hard to be in limbo, waiting for your new home.
Hopefully it won't be too long and you can get back to normal and your quilting. Maybe some small hand projects would be fun for now.

Debbie

Paula said...

I remember when we moved the answer to, Where is....? was usually, in a box, in the garage. So frustrating...but good things come to those who wait. :)

Sharon said...

Sweet peas, the ocean, what a great day! We need some sunshine to dry us out and start the blooming.

Candace said...

I hope you don't have to live with the boxes for too much longer, Libby! And some of your things didn't arrive? Do you know where they are? On the camera front you might make a Staples run and pick up a USB sleeve that will hold the memory stick in your camera - then you won't need your cord to dowload photos. Looks like you and Daisy are definitely enjoying your time in the sun!
Cheers!

AnnieO said...

You've done two moves and are on to a third soon--you'll be a pro at this last move, I bet! Hope you have a nice comfortable place to sit and stitch in the apartment. Looks like you have plenty of sunny places to walk and enjoy the views (and smells!)

Loris said...

Oh well, I thought you were going to get into your new home by now...must have mis-read that but at least you are on the right (as in preferred) coast :-) My DH and I lived in a very small one bedroom house for a little over 2 years with our boxes and belongings looking much like yours. Eventually, we were able to get our house built and spread out again. It felt good!
Daisy is surely enjoying all that gorgeous weather and beaches. I hope she help sniff out the stuff your missing. Hang in there :-)

sewprimitive karen said...

Hi, Libby, you must not have all that much if you can squish it into a few rooms and a garage? I admire that because I am a (small font) hoarder. Are you saying the movers lost some belongings??? Not good.

quiltmom said...

Nice photos and what lovely places you have returned to-
I love sweet peas- For most of my growing up years and beyond my parents grew sweetpeas along a fence in our yard at home. Unfortunately when my father built his garage the sweet peas have never been the same - he thinks because there is too much shade. I love the smell of them - so fragrant. My mother often had a bouquet of them on the table at home.
Hope you find some of the things that you are looking for soon. Warmest regards,
Anna

Karen said...

We lived in a two bedroom apartment much like you for a while before moving into out current house. Boxes everywhere! Though I did get a sewing area set up. We even put boxes in the bathtub in the second bathroom.

Milah said...

It seems you are taking everything in stride. California must be very calming to you....that beach would be therapy to anyone. Thimbles...irons....it will all come together soon enough.

Quilter Kathy said...

How beautiful the water is! It's snowing here :(

What is your favorite thimble? I am still searching for one that I could enjoy and not have to remortgage the house to pay for!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I well understand your glee... enjoy; these are the days memories are made from.

Shakerwood said...

The best laid plans of mice and men . . . .

Wendy said...

I hope soon you'll have some order again. Looks like the beach is the best place to be.

Nancy in MT said...

Welcome home Libby,
What a circle of life you have had. Enjoy being where your heart is.
Thank you for thinking of me.

Kathie said...

just nice to be home I bet! so when will you get to move into your permanent residence?
Kathie

blessedmom's simple home said...

I'm impressed with your cell phone photos!! Enjoy this beautiful weather :-)
Blessings,
Marcia