Monday, May 09, 2011

I love when a good plan all comes together. Sometimes it just takes a LOT of patient waiting to get there. Last week it felt as if the clock was ticking off the seconds in s-l-o-o-o-o-w motion as we counted down to the close of escrow and the keys to our new home.
I passed some of the time by going to a favorite antique/junk shop in town looking for treasure.
I was not disappointed. After some clean-up, sanding and fresh coats of paint, these will all find new life with us. The newel post tops will become towel hooks for the bathroom. The tool caddy will probably hold fabric or little quilts.
Finally Saturday morning arrived all fresh and filled with sunshine. We met our Realtor to finally get a look at the house completely empty and full of promise.
Here it is - Home Sweet Home! We immediately started bringing over a few boxes from the apartment and started thinking about where everything will go. I have been calling the new digs our 'Goldilocks house'. Our first house in California was just a little too small. The house in Massachusetts was just a little too big. This house feels like it's going to be just right. And the yard - so much room for Daisy to play with lots of room left over for gardening. Remember the citrus trees? They are still there, but I discovered what I think may be a peach tree . . . be still my heart!
As if all that were not enough - it was also Mother's Day and The Princess was in fine form. We were invited over to her place for dinner - schnitzel and spaetzel! On the table was a beautiful vase filled with tulips.
It was fun to chat with her and Boyfriend (whom I still haven't settled on an 'official' blog name for yet - I feel like he's going to be a keeper so I don't want to saddle him with something that isn't right) as they put the finishing touches on our meal. Boyfriend provided dessert homemade brownies (he cooks and bakes!) As if that were not enough, there were presents afterward.
First you should probably know that we are not a family that finds pleasure in wrapping gifts. Christmas is about the only time we actually make the effort. So instead the recipient is simply asked to 'close your eyes and hold out your hands'. When I opened my eyes, this is what I saw.
Huh? The Princess quickly informed me that this is what the gift looked like to start out. Now to close my eyes again. This time when I opened them there was this!
Is that not just the coolest thing? And she made it herself! Boyfriend has a lathe and they have been making pens from wood and even corn cobs. I know it was killing her to not tell what she was up to. I know there are going to be LOTS of 'signing' opportunities coming up. I'll be so proud to tell everyone all about my new, beautiful pen.
Now it's back to the business of getting settled. I have a list of phone calls and errands for today that is about as long as my arm. Better get busy or it will never get done.

28 comments:

AnnieO said...

Congrats on the Goldilocks House! Looks like the plan worked out perfect. Glad your Mother's Day was so special--the pen is terrific.

Candace said...

Oh Libby, I'm so happy for you both and Daisy, too! The house looks wonderful and once you put your gardening touches on it I'm sure it will be the jewel of the neighborhood! Sounds like the Princess has found her Prince and from what you say he is Norm Abram and Emeril all rolled into one! A girl can't ask for more than that!
Cheers!

Loris said...

Now that sounds like a wonderful Mom's Day! Congratulations on finding a beautiful home. This move is going to feel good!
Your princess certainly knows how to treat you well. Very cool pen! Unique too!
Now we'll all be waiting to hear about the quilting room :-)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Goldilocks? I hope you don't find any CA bears sleeping in your new digs! I couldn't be happier for you, I'm sending great big hugs of congratulations!

Stina said...

Congratulations to your Goldilocks House!!! Long till you show us more.. it loos fantastic.. love those glass doors or was it big windows..:o)
Hope you will have many happy days at your new home!! Sleep well!

McIrish Annie said...

I love your new house!! how exciting. Glad you had a good mom's day. I spent my day at Fenway park courtesy of my son. He sent us tickets as a combo mom/dad's day present. Good seats, sunny and a win. can't ask for more than that!

Have fun moving AGAIN!!!

WoolenSails said...

Your new home is wonderful, looks like it has lots of charm for decorating with. What a beautiful gift from your daughter, something you will treasure.

Debbie

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh how cool is that pen! What fun!

Angie said...

Oh Libby, how fun to be moving into your Goldilocks house---and we can't wait to see inside....! :D That pen is totally awesome!

Kathie said...

I am so happy for you ! sounds like the perfect house!
oh I just love that pen! amazing!!!! sure sounds like he is a keeper!
Kathie

Finn said...

Congratulations on the new "digs"...awesome looking place and I'm sure it will be "home sweet home" in no time! It's wonderful to see you where I know there is much happiness in being. Big heartfelt hugs for my special little library buddy, Finn

Me and My Stitches said...

Your house looks wonderful! And, I love that pen! I am from Iowa - you know - where the corn grows...corn cob pens would go great here - what a neat idea.

Melanie said...

Looks like home to me....Can't wait to see it with quilts!

Karen said...

Enjoy your time settling into your new home. Please don't invite me to come unpack boxes. I have done enough of that over the years.
I thought the corncob was the new way of going green. But wondered how you would get them on the toilet paper roll in the bathroom. The pen is neat as can be.

Brandie said...

So happy to hear that you are back and in a "just right" house.
That pen is the coolest! Who knew that corncobs were useful, and I don't mean like how the pioneers used them!

Dixie said...

Wow, this is wonderful - your house looks great and can't wait to see pictures of your backyard and your inside decorating! LOVE the pen your daughter and BF made for you. They could go on the craft show circuit with those beauties! He certainly sounds like a keeper! Glad you had a great Mother's Day.

Kim said...

Candace said it well...life is fun, life is very good and I am happy for you and your family. Congratulations on staying the course to making your dream come true. Love the corn cob pen - that is awesome! Tom likes the newel post idea a lot - now where on earth am I going to find those?! The tool caddy has inspired me to drag mine out of storage - I'm thinking front porch, a few potted flowers...

Nancy in MT said...

Congrats on following your path back to where life makes you and your family happy. That is what matters most, everything else will follow.

Darlene said...

Beautiful new home - time to make lots and lots of new memories.

Love the pen - perfect gift.

Lori said...

Oh my! Yes, Goldilocks house is perfect! I'm so happy for you!!

sewprimitive karen said...

What??? How cool is that pen!! Oh, your new house is nice too :-) . Can't wait to see inside pics.

Sylvia F said...

Congratulations on the new house Libby, also great Mother's Day present.
Sylvia F:)

Sharon said...

I'm so glad your purchase has been finalized. I know how it feels to be in the apt when you really want to be in a house. Please show bits and pieces of your decorating, I love you painted your east coast house. What a great pen!

suz said...

Congrats on the new place - can't wait to see what you do. Sounds like you had a terrific Mother's Day. Your daughter and her boyfriend are quite clever - that's a great pen!

Quilter Kathy said...

Your new house looks so big in the photo! is that clay tile roofing? I have never seen that before...will you get a lot of rain?
Sounds like your daughter is as creative as you!

Guðrún said...

It is so wonderful to read your posts, you sound so happy. Good luck settling in.

Stephanie D. said...

It's a lovely house, Goldilocks! Can't wait to see it after you've finished putting your own touches on it.

Milah said...

Corn cob pens....now that's cool!

Beautiful house, BTW!