Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Today I'm taking a breather and poking my head out of my cardboard rabbit hole. Its time to share a little of what has been going on here at the new digs.
With the exception of the bathrooms, there are wood floors throughout. This is very exciting. I love wood floors, I don't mind caring for them, and there is not the *ick* factor of someone else's carpeting. But it has brought about a flurry of area rug shopping. We had a couple of rugs but none nearly enough to take care of all the rooms.
Here the very lovely Daisy models the latest in guest room floor coverings.
Her thought bubble might say something like, 'Are they going to put a bed in here or are guests expected to sleep on the floor?" Don't worry Daisy. As soon as we can find the bed and the bedding we will offer a cozy place for folks to rest their heads.
In super exciting unpacking news, these showed up yesterday.
They are the drawers to the treadle sewing machine cabinet which arrived on the truck sans drawers. Because of the confusion with the move being split onto two trucks, we thought these had taken up residence with the other family somewhere in Arizona along with our vacuum cleaner (which has also now been located). There was an audible *gasp* when I unwrapped them yesterday that could be heard throughout the county. I am so happy, Hubby is so happy, the moving company is SO happy!
Here is a sneak peek into my future quilting space. I got to spend a little time there stitching last week while waiting for appliances to be delivered.
The space was originally designed to be the family room and was used by the previous owners as the dining room (thus the low hanging concussion maker that is soon to be replaced). It is truly in the heart of the home next to the kitchen, easy access to the backyard and the laundry room. A small built in desk will become Blogging Central. But first -
all of this must find a spot to call home. The red furniture will stay put in what would normally be the 'breakfast nook'. But all of those boxes contain a lifetime or two or three of things that all need to be put away. A similar scene can be found throughout the house, upstairs, downstairs and the garage, too.
As long as I continue to chip away at it a little each day, we will be settled in before we know it. Earlier this week we celebrated being fully functional - cooking, sleeping, bathing and laundry, the essentials. Every little thing makes it feel more and more like home. But I'm wondering . . . does anyone want to lay odds on how long before I go on autopilot while doing errands and pull into the driveway of our previous home and sit in the driveway trying to figure out why the garage won't open? It's only a matter of time.

26 comments:

Gail said...

I'm so happy that you are getting settled in your new home! I know how great it feels to find something you thought was lost in the move, so it's great to see those drawers! I "lost" the children's Easter baskets through one whole house, it took the second move to find them! The new quilting space looks lovely, enjoy!

WoolenSails said...

Love your new rug. I got cheap ones for now, my cats think they are scratching posts;) Your sewing room is going to be wonderful, lots of room and light.

Debbie

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

This will cheer you up. It has been raining buckets here since last Saturday. The weather men don't seem to know when it will stop! It's really getting to me. Can't wait for summer weather!

sewprimitive karen said...

What fun. Where is the built-in desk? Oh-oh-oh your hexagon quilt, it is GORGEOUS.

Nancy in MT said...

Think Daisy is saying she has found her spot on that beautiful rug, it's gorgeous. Love that you have your sewing room downstairs next to everything that is important, like cooking and eating.
Nancy

Christine said...

your sewing room space looks wonderful...I'm also living with boxes all around...waiting to be told the date we can shift into our new place...

Candace said...

I have to laugh (sorry) about that last bit, Libby! Both Mr. Squash and I tried walking into the closet in the middle of the night on numerous occasions thinking it was the bathroom! If it had been the old house it would have been the correct door! I love the current look of your future quilting space - could have been our living room here with the camp chair and all before we moved in! Looks like Daisy is settled in well and helping you sort rugs, boxes and furniture! Happy homecoming!
Cheers!

tracey said...

oh libby, i'm feeling your pain, literally! my cardboard monster is growing though, and i think i may just get to unpack my sewing room come friday. ooooh, happy day!

hang in there. hot showers and a heating pad does wonders! ;o)

tracey
(simple druthers)

julieQ said...

Boy, am I glad those drawers showed up! Glad you are settling in ...glad it is feeling a little more and more like home!!

AnnieO said...

Daisy is a lovely and patient rug model! I like the new sewing corner--right now I am in the former family room next to the kitchen and it is a good central place to be. Can't hide the clutter tho!

Boxes unveiling treasures--it is a beautiful thing!

Maybe you should have chosen a house further away from your old one? LOL

Dixie said...

So glad your drawers showed up - I would be having a major anxiety attack! Your new quilting space looks perfect I have a cutting table with drawers that I got from Ikea that is close to my kitchen so I can do my two favorite things at once. Looks like younger making great progress and will be out planting in your yard in no time!

Wendy said...

Little bit at a time and soon you'll be in your new room. It looks like a nice room. Auto pilot happened when to DH when we moved.

blessedmom's simple home said...

I'm so glad you're getting moved in. I know it will feel good to be settled again. I would've been heartbroken if my drawers had turned up missing too. So happy you found them!
Blessings,
Marcia

Kathie said...

this is so exciting! the hexagon quilt is just amazing!!!!!
I can't wait to hear about all the paint colors and what fun you will have setting up that sewing room
I am so happy for you , your back home where you belong. Love the rug Daisy is on !
Kathie

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

This is looking fabulous, Libby. What fun setting it all up just how you like it! Love Daisy! Tracey

Quilt Hollow said...

I could imagine the excitement of being back in CA and getting to start new and fresh again! You know all too well that soon it is a home again...enjoy the process a day at a time.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

One day at a time, enjoy the process, that's what it is.

Welcome HOME!

Lori said...

Unpackign is so much work, but so much too!! Love the beautiful rug.

Julia said...

Love the new home! Is it really close to your old one? How is the job hunting going for hubby, or does he already have something? Are you close to the princess now? Love the new rug, it is beautiful!

McIrish Annie said...

Glad you poked your head out! Things are moving along before you know it you will be unpacked AGAIN!

Weather here has been awful since you left. New England misses you!

I like your new rug. and super happy your treadle drawers showed up.

Can't wait to see the sewing room. You must be psyched!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh that picture of daisy is sooooo cute! I LOVE the rug!

Guðrún said...

I am having trouble leaving a comment!!! I am sure once you have unpacked you will take the right turn HOME.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a lot of work you have to do...makes me tired just thinking about it. I think I better go lay down and have a nap with Daisy on the pretty carpet!

Melanie said...

Nothing like a little chaos to make you realize you're home.....I can't decide if I see a halo or devil's horns and a pitchfork with Daisy..

Karen said...

Many years ago, I ran into a young man that I knew from school and church. He had been in the military. When he left the military, he was returning to his parent's home. Or so he thought. He walked in the front door and everything was different, including the people. His parents had not sent him a letter telling them that they sold the house and moved.

Your new sewing area is going to be up and ready before you know it. We have a living room and family room. The living room tends to be used just for display. A waste of space at times. Good idea to put both of your spaces to use.

Stephanie D. said...

Love the new rug! And Daisy looks right at home already!